E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Nav and Ver 12.2 , no RDS. I was told by BMW dealer and BmwNA ver 12 disabled it. There is no plan date of return.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think there's something to the nav/no nav RDS issue as well. The nav cars all seemed to have problems with RDS. It only displayed on the "All Stations" screen and even then it wasn't very useful. I think it took a "snapshot" of the text and saved whatever it saw at the time of the snapshot.

For example, I would see a portion of the song name "captured" even after the song had finished playing. The only time the RDS would change is when the All Stations display would update and change the list of stations.

They definitely disabled it in my version 12.2.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2004 525 Amethyst grey, Heated front seats, bluetooth prep, Adaptive Xenons, 6 CD changer, Front & Rear PDC, retro-fit 6 DVD changer in boot (trunk) with remote control plus headrest screens and IR headphones, Playstation connection to cabin, twin 12v outlets in rear cabin

This picture shows that my May 2004 525 has picked up the station name from RDS, but in the next picture you can see that the screen doesn't 'remember' the names. Does anybody know if this as it should be?
Attached Thumbnails RDS-imgp1360.jpg  
Old 08-07-2004, 03:47 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2004 525 Amethyst grey, Heated front seats, bluetooth prep, Adaptive Xenons, 6 CD changer, Front & Rear PDC, retro-fit 6 DVD changer in boot (trunk) with remote control plus headrest screens and IR headphones, Playstation connection to cabin, twin 12v outlets in rear cabin

...and here's that 2nd picture.

This difference from the manual really bugs me - if this screen showed all the station names it would be a real safety benefit.

Or could it be fixed in a future software upgrade (Iceman - any inseder knowledge on this one?)
Attached Thumbnails RDS-imgp1361.jpg  
Old 08-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Members

Yes I called my dealer about RDS and they definately removed the RDS functions in Version 12. I recently had my DME replaced and upgraded to Ver. 12. Since then my limited RDS didnt work at all. When my car was on Ver. 11, even then the RDS worked in limited way. (no song name, etc.)

My 2001 330i SP with Nav works great... includes name of the song, station name.. etc.

It's a little things like that makes the car more fun to drive. Just my opinion.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

tekor
Old 08-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

They most likely removed RDS in version 12 due to customer complaints. It wasn't very good at handling "rolling text" that some stations use. My car would often capture some portion of the rolling text which caused it to display useless garbage.

TIS has a document explaining the problem:
Attached Files
Old 08-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Right then:

I must have the only 12.1.2 with fully working RDS and NAV

I don't have any problems with it. Can post screenies if anyone needs to see.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

yep i'm with browellm, i have a dec2003 car with busNav and the professional radio and my RDS, well station name display, works fine.

PeterT, your pic showing the various available station frequencies looks strange.

if i have my tuner set to "All stations" i always see the station names never the frequencies..will try and post a pic. now i've never tinkered with the settings on the tuner, its just as it was when i collected the car so not sure if there is some setting you may have inadvertently changed that could be causing your tuner to only display frequencies like that.....get on the fone to that dealer
Old 08-09-2004, 01:16 AM
Contributors

PeterT

I'm also in Scotland and my radio shows station name on the all and Memorised settings....yours should too

regards

DD

ps, whereabouts are you? (Newton Mearns,Glasgow myself)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

PeterT, you may just need to remap your memorized stations list. IIRC, when I got mine back from the dealer, a lot of stations were pretty screwey and I had to redo them.
Check your "All Stations" list, that should be RDS'd up!

Quick Reply: RDS