E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattles from the back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

When I am driving without the radio I can hear some rattles coming from the passenger seat and the rear seat. The rattles are pretty much only noticable when going over rough roads. The passenger seat is slighly moving back and forth and rattles when no passenger is there but that is not really what is bothering me. The rear seat seems to rattle quite a bit. It sound like it is coming from the middle console in the back seat. When i pull out the middle console it rattles less but some rattle is still there. To me sounds like something is not as tight as it should be back there.

My car is a 545 with Sport Pckg, NAV, Comfort Seats and Premium sound. I don't have fold down seats.

Am i just too picky here? Is anyone else hearing rattles from the back seat?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

No rattles here.
I would take it to the dealer and get a tech to go on a test drive with you.
Let them fix it.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Members

Haven't had that problem, just the really loud humming noise (see post). When I first heard it, I had come off the freeway, I thought it was construction work. Then I noticed the noise was following me.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:54 PM
sj3
Senior Members

Your dealer can fix rattles, most of the time. Let them try. Free. ... Sorry, didn't see the other posts. I wouldn't go for a ride with them. If you're sure it will be reproducible, just tell them. No sense changing any of the conditions, in case it doesn't rattle with two people (would be weird, I know).

Sam
Old 05-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Members

I had, what sounds like a similar rattle from the rear seats. It appeared to come from around the centre armrest/rear shelf area.

Dealer managedto fix - they mentioned something about a broken clip or something.

Anyway rattle now gone!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by whihr' date='May 25 2004, 02:14 PM
I had, what sounds like a similar rattle from the rear seats. It appeared to come from around the centre armrest/rear shelf area.

Dealer managedto fix - they mentioned something about a broken clip or something.

Anyway rattle now gone!
cool nice. i guess i will mention it to the dealer when i do my sw upgrade to activate the voice command (whenever that will be ready)...

thanks everyone who replied
Old 06-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Members

I have the same rattle problem. It sounds more like a light "thunk" coming from the back seat. I took it in and drove it around with the service advisor who confirmed that he could hear the problem. However, they were unable to find the source and returned the car to me with the rattle even worse. Everybody who rides in my car can hear it.

My next step is to get in the back seat myself and see what I can find. Any suggestions on where to look?

BTW, while I had the car in for the rattle, I had the software update. It took 6 days and the computer aborted many, many times. As a result, the dealer had to replace the "control unit", after which the software uploaded on the first try. It fixed the blinding light from the airbag light. It alson fixed the "rest" button which had been inoperable before the update. Other than that, I haven't noticed much else being better. The dealer told me it would make my mileage on the onboard computer read more accurately. This has not changed a bit: it still overestimates by about 25%.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

I have some rattles coming from the side support of my comfort seat, and one coming from the headrest of my seat, and one coming from the dashboard/front window, and in addition, also the one you report coming from the backseat. My car will be in next monday/tuesday to fix them, and if they are able to do so I'll let you know what was causing them.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Members

My driver seat rattles and squeaks like hell. Damn distracting and irritating. IT's caused by the spring within the seat being compressed. The seats in E39 is a lot better build and with a functional head rest too. It seems that while the E60 has gone very high tech, BMW just cannot get the low tech stuff right.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my1stbmw' date='May 24 2004, 04:13 PM
The passenger seat is slighly moving back and forth and rattles when no passenger is there but that is not really what is bothering me.
I noticed this problem too. The passenger seat just can't be still when one is driving - even on relatively smooth roads - why?

Quick Reply: Rattles from the back seat?