E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle from under my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so i bought an 07 550i and this is my first BMW so please excuse if this is a dumb question. as there wasn't any around my area i bought one from a distance, car came in last night and i took it for a quick rip last night and things ran as i'd expect. NOW when i started pulling in slowly into my garage i heard/felt a vibration from under the car very similar to an exhaust vibration. called dealer and they said it's pretty common for these cars to do that and it's really only under low power...i call bullsh@# but wanted to ask you guys first

also on a side note even in sport mode car doesn't shift quick....lack of a better discription i shut DTC off nailed it took off shifted second felt like a second went by and then got all power again, are these cars known for shifting "safely" so it doesn't hurt anything? i mean it moved so not like it's slipping but felt (lack of a better term) delayed

thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Rez
Members

My Ride: PHINEASS. 2008 535i Alpine White/ Light Beige Dakota/ Dark Poplar with Sports, Premium, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Ipod & USB, Legal Tinted, All Weather Front, Rear and Trunk mats, Detailed and Clay Treated.
Model Year: 2008

I have a mild rattling at start up every morning. It comes, stays for a few seconds, and goes away as the car warms up in idle. Asked the dealer about it twice, and they said that it was normal during the warm up.

It sound like some metal part is loose. I have started to ignore it.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 550i SMG, HUD, Cold Weather/Sport Package, Mtech front bumper, Oem M5 rear bumper, V1 Concealed, RPI Scoop, 6000K HID both Fog and Headlight, M5 mirrors, LED interior lighting, M5 SMG Shift Knob, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust Quad Pipe, 30% Tint, Sprint B
Model Year: 2007

There is a cross member that supports the exhaust located in the center of the car. I have had one of the bolts shear off which cause the exhaust to rattle. Take a look if both bolts are attached.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 AM
Members

only happened that one time and i drove it all day yesterday but next time i'm under there i'll take a look thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paul-g
only happened that one time and i drove it all day yesterday but next time i'm under there i'll take a look thanks!
For the longest time I thought it was something rattling in the center console so everything there has been wrapped in bubble-wrap! .

Remove the underbody plastic shields and inspect motor and transmission mount screws (yes, they're actually called screws). They are made of aluminum and can break if your car has been driven over rough roads. The loose broken screw (it's about 1/2" in diameter and more than 1" long might be rattling around under the car - Mine was - and clanged whenever I hit sharp bumps like Railroad Tracks. Unless you remove the plastic shielding you might never know it!