E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

rattle at ski bag door...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I just bought my 2004 545i w/ sport model, stepronic, fold down rear seats w/ ski bag option.

The sportmodel suspension w/ the runflat tires give a much firmer ride than I can remenber in any of the 540i's i test drove.

Anyways, I don't mind the stiff ride because she handles like shes's on rails! One byproduct of the stiff ride is a rattle on the ski bag door behind the rear fold down console. This rattle is driving me crazy! I'm supposed to be happy in my new car, but the rattle's got me seeing red.

Have any of you experienced this, and has the dealer been successful at fixing it? how would you even fix a rattle? Does the dealer take rattle complaints seriously?

I hope so.

Dean
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Deano' post='462550' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:29 PM
Hello all,

I just bought my 2004 545i w/ sport model, stepronic, fold down rear seats w/ ski bag option.

The sportmodel suspension w/ the runflat tires give a much firmer ride than I can remenber in any of the 540i's i test drove.

Anyways, I don't mind the stiff ride because she handles like shes's on rails! One byproduct of the stiff ride is a rattle on the ski bag door behind the rear fold down console. This rattle is driving me crazy! I'm supposed to be happy in my new car, but the rattle's got me seeing red.

Have any of you experienced this, and has the dealer been successful at fixing it? how would you even fix a rattle? Does the dealer take rattle complaints seriously?

I hope so.

Dean
Greetings:

See my posts regarding reliability and by the way "Best of luck" on your new purchase..you'll need it

Chromedome
Old 08-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Are you sure its the ski bag door rattle? I think its the rear parcel shelf... many have complained about this... some have been lucky enough to get it fixed... my dealer said they cant hear it and never fixed mine... I have a slight case of it... more pronounced when its cold, like mornings.

You need to get rid of the runflats... It will still handle like its on rails wither regular tires but the ride is like night and day. It'll be a completely different car after, a much better one.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='462554' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:35 PM
Are you sure its the ski bag door rattle? I think its the rear parcel shelf... many have complained about this... some have been lucky enough to get it fixed... my dealer said they cant hear it and never fixed mine... I have a slight case of it... more pronounced when its cold, like mornings.

You need to get rid of the runflats... It will still handle like its on rails wither regular tires but the ride is like night and day. It'll be a completely different car after, a much better one.

I believe it is the ski bag door as its a cheep thin piece of plastic, and the rattle is much louder when my daughter has the rear armrest down.

I aggree with the runflats, but these are almost new. The parts guy at the dealer where I bought the car said that if I where to put non-runflats on the car, I would get a warning or error message every time I started the car. This sounds like B.S. to me. As long as I replace them with tires with the same diameter, the car shouldn't know the difference, right?

Getting back to the rattle, I've got to defeat this rattle!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Deano' post='462558' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:54 PM
I believe it is the ski bag door as its a cheep thin piece of plastic, and the rattle is much louder when my daughter has the rear armrest down.

I aggree with the runflats, but these are almost new. The parts guy at the dealer where I bought the car said that if I where to put non-runflats on the car, I would get a warning or error message every time I started the car. This sounds like B.S. to me. As long as I replace them with tires with the same diameter, the car shouldn't know the difference, right?

Getting back to the rattle, I've got to defeat this rattle!

He's totally BSing you. MANY MANY people have replaced their tires with non-runflats. Including me.

The error he is talking about sounds like the TPM tire pressure monitor for 2007+ cars where it actually measures the tire pressure so if you replace the WHEELS and the new WHEELS dont have the TPM you'll get a warning every time you start up your car.

for a MY04 theres no such thing. it uses the ABS sensor to measure wheel speed so it wont care what tires / wheels you're running as long as they have the same diameter and spin at the same rate. It detects loss of air pressure by tire rotation amongst axles. roughly 7 lbs of tire pressure loss will trigger a warning.

So ignore your dealer and get non-runflats when these tires wear out.

As for the rattle. Then thats easy if its really the ski door... get some foam tape and stick it around the door edge and when you close it it should be tight and any rattle will be absorbed by the foam tape.

I had to do this with my glove box. had a slight rattle from the beginning and i put something where the latch is so its tighter and absorbs the rattle.

AHahah I guess i used electrical tape... I dont even remember... never had to touch it since.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=227704
Old 08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='462563' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:26 PM
He's totally BSing you. MANY MANY people have replaced their tires with non-runflats. Including me.

The error he is talking about sounds like the TPM tire pressure monitor for 2007+ cars where it actually measures the tire pressure so if you replace the WHEELS and the new WHEELS dont have the TPM you'll get a warning every time you start up your car.

for a MY04 theres no such thing. it uses the ABS sensor to measure wheel speed so it wont care what tires / wheels you're running as long as they have the same diameter and spin at the same rate. It detects loss of air pressure by tire rotation amongst axles. roughly 7 lbs of tire pressure loss will trigger a warning.

So ignore your dealer and get non-runflats when these tires wear out.

As for the rattle. Then thats easy if its really the ski door... get some foam tape and stick it around the door edge and when you close it it should be tight and any rattle will be absorbed by the foam tape.

I had to do this with my glove box. had a slight rattle from the beginning and i put something where the latch is so its tighter and absorbs the rattle.

Great idea, I'm on it!

Thanks