E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rain is a fake torque multiplier IMO

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So driving in a downpour tonight playing around with having DTC on instead of the entire DSC (discussed in another thread but in short hitting the button once quickly and the dash displaying DTC-meaning allowing some slippage and skids before engaging dsc systems)

anyway it let me have a decent amount of fun in the rain at low speeds and a tap on my pedal and the wheels uncontrollably spin and I get some tail wagging and then the system kicks in and all but I have a fair amount of torque and can spin the tires with ease on dry roads and all but with the rain it made me wonder if that was what it was like to have like 600hp or drive a modded porsche TT or something crazy where a tap on the gas created so much torque that you are basically spinning out of control in the low gears.

Kind of gave me a new perception on launching a huge hp car because rain kind of simulates what happens in extreme dry conditions since all its doing is making it easier to lose grip quicker but the car reacts in much the same way (to some degree)-anyway I always wonder why some of these huge horsepower cars cant get 0-60 times in much lower times but after thinking how they must spin out through the first 2 gears and the tail be fishtailing without some kind of intervention from stability systems-it would be tough to launch a big car.

Was kind of fun anyway-I absolutely love DSC. I never had any kind of stability control in a car before and I grew up driving a rear wheel drive camaro-not great in the rain and zero stability help. But the DTC is a great compromise. I literally could throw anything at the car, within total reason at very moderate speeds of course-

But I could accelerate around a turn in the pouring rain where a car with no stability system would fly-but the bimmer sucks you around the corner with a bit of oversteer and then dsc kicks in and puts you straight as an arrow. Its a pretty fun era to go from a really old car with zero technology to a car with so much-really shows you what a leap we have made.

I know my mom would have died for this in the crappy conditions I grew up in and remmeber her gripping the wheel in utter fear everytime she took the road in her POS car. Nice cars with good stability control sure makes life easy in the rain (havent tried snow yet)
Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='498979' date='Nov 26 2007, 03:56 AM
So driving in a downpour tonight playing around with having DTC on instead of the entire DSC (discussed in another thread but in short hitting the button once quickly and the dash displaying DTC-meaning allowing some slippage and skids before engaging dsc systems)

anyway it let me have a decent amount of fun in the rain at low speeds and a tap on my pedal and the wheels uncontrollably spin and I get some tail wagging and then the system kicks in and all but I have a fair amount of torque and can spin the tires with ease on dry roads and all but with the rain it made me wonder if that was what it was like to have like 600hp or drive a modded porsche TT or something crazy where a tap on the gas created so much torque that you are basically spinning out of control in the low gears.

Kind of gave me a new perception on launching a huge hp car because rain kind of simulates what happens in extreme dry conditions since all its doing is making it easier to lose grip quicker but the car reacts in much the same way (to some degree)-anyway I always wonder why some of these huge horsepower cars cant get 0-60 times in much lower times but after thinking how they must spin out through the first 2 gears and the tail be fishtailing without some kind of intervention from stability systems-it would be tough to launch a big car.

Was kind of fun anyway-I absolutely love DSC. I never had any kind of stability control in a car before and I grew up driving a rear wheel drive camaro-not great in the rain and zero stability help. But the DTC is a great compromise. I literally could throw anything at the car, within total reason at very moderate speeds of course-

But I could accelerate around a turn in the pouring rain where a car with no stability system would fly-but the bimmer sucks you around the corner with a bit of oversteer and then dsc kicks in and puts you straight as an arrow. Its a pretty fun era to go from a really old car with zero technology to a car with so much-really shows you what a leap we have made.

I know my mom would have died for this in the crappy conditions I grew up in and remmeber her gripping the wheel in utter fear everytime she took the road in her POS car. Nice cars with good stability control sure makes life easy in the rain (havent tried snow yet)
Yes, we take all that stuff for granted now.

Years ago I had a 1976 Ford Capri 3000cc that was a handful in the wet - lots of fun though.

I took my brother out in it and spent some time in opposite lock round some roundabouts - funny, he never rode in it with me after that!

Regards,