E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, 6-speed, sliver-gray metallic, premium package, professional navigation ... among other options

It's the rainy season in Central California -- and that means using the front- and rear-winder defoggers.

This year, I noticed when I switch on the rear defroster, I end up losing the radio station I'm listening to. Switch it off, and I can hear the station again.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I recently had a software upgrade.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by newsman' post='207323' date='Dec 5 2005, 09:49 AM
It's the rainy season in Central California -- and that means using the front- and rear-winder defoggers.

This year, I noticed when I switch on the rear defroster, I end up losing the radio station I'm listening to. Switch it off, and I can hear the station again.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I recently had a software upgrade.
I'm not an radiosignal engineer, but as we know, the wheater can interfere a lot with radiowave signals.
The cloudes work as mirrows in some nasty conditions as well as the suns "pixel rains".
Radio disturbance is known to be used in wars since about the WW2.

Combining electricity with radio signals (which are so easilly troubled) could do the trick.
A antenna in the rearwindow is not the best possible place for a antenna, it should be a "stick".

But anyway, I suspect that the weather conditions may have had something to do with your problem.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

My radio reception is extremely poor, compared to my other vehicles with a whip antenna. Recently, I had a loaner 530, which seemed to have better reception. My SA checked out my radio signal and said it was fine. When talking to him again, he asked if I had tinted my windows as some tint films have a metal composite to them (sounded strange), but would affect the radio reception.

I have also noticed on AM, when I plug my cell phone in, my reception also goes to shit.

With the high energy rear window defogger right next to the antenna, I could see it doing this.

I have resolved to the fact that I need to get Satelite radio and use CD's.