E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package
Unhappy

I drove on the I-95 a couple of nights ago while it was raining very heavily. This was the first time I used my wipers in heavy rain...I couldn't see the road very well and felt like the wipers were slow (to the smart ones...my vision is 20/20 so don't suggest an eye exam ). I have owned many cars and never had this problem... Any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='206511' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:45 AM
I drove on the I-95 a couple of nights ago while it was raining very heavily. This was the first time I used my wipers in heavy rain...I couldn't see the road very well and felt like the wipers were slow (to the smart ones...my vision is 20/20 so don't suggest an eye exam ). I have owned many cars and never had this problem... Any suggestions?
Slow down?
Old 12-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' post='206512
Slow down?
[/quote]
love this site...so many smart ones
Old 12-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 530iSE, Black Saphire with beige leather, auto, lux pack, comms pack, viz pack, power mirrors, 122 wheels

Were you using the auto function or had you selected high speed? I have found that the auto function doesn't really maintain a fast enough sweep in the heaviest rain or when overtaking a heavy lorry. The fastest slected sweep seems OK for me though
Old 12-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brendan' post='206516' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:15 AM
Were you using the auto function or had you selected high speed? I have found that the auto function doesn't really maintain a fast enough sweep in the heaviest rain or when overtaking a heavy lorry. The fastest slected sweep seems OK for me though
tried both options thanks!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='206513
Originally Posted by miss525i' post='206511' date='Dec 3 2005, 08:45 AM
Slow down?
love this site...so many smart ones
[/quote]
Ok, speed up! If you go a certain speed the airflow will actually keep the windscreen clear...

I used to use 'Rain X' which assisted in this process
Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='206511' date='Dec 3 2005, 10:45 AM
When it's raining hard enough there's not much to be done.
Even if the wipers should be on their fastest, it will take a part of a second for them to wipe the rain.

The physics have come to the limit.

Be glad your'e not driving a motorcycle
Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I live along the I95 corridor but further south. I've only felt the need to switch to high speed out of auto mode once in one of our frog stranglers. I think the wiper system is up to the task. I used to commute between Virginia Beach and Titusville on I95 and used rain-x very successfully on a different car. I quite literally rarely used my wipers then unless in traffic when cars / trucks in front would spay me. But I chose not to use rain-x on my 6er as I don't do that long commute any longer.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brendan' post='206516' date='Dec 3 2005, 04:15 AM
I thought i needed coffee. I noticed the same thing some morning ago...i went from auto rain detector to
manual..and the speed was more constant..
Old 12-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I live in Orlando, which is the thunderstom capital of the world... and I will just tell you all that the wipers on the E60 are FAR too slow to be effective in heavy rain.

Do NOT use Rain X, however. That stuff works great when you put it on, but it wears off and leaves a sticky, gummy residue on the windshield which eats up wiper blades and makes them chatter and skip on the glass. There is no chemical that I have found to remove the Rain-X residue, either. Your only options are to wait for it to wear off over time, or continue to apply it forever at regualr intervals.

The best thing you can do is clean your windshield often, using newsprint on the outside only. The newsprint contains oils which help repel water and reduce streaking... but don't come with the added side effects of Rain X.

If you have window-tint, then interior windows should be cleaned with lint-free cloth. Never use any paper products on window tint, it will scratch. Paper is simply wood pulp, no matter how soft they make it... it will scratch. Treat window tint like you would a pair of Oakley sunglasses. EXTREME care.

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers