E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radiator problems - help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

hello everyone,

I was just wondering if my diagnosis is correct.

About a month ago, the plastic tube above the radiator, which feeds the return from the radiator back to the expansion tank, cracked. So, I replaced it with something else, as I could not find anything exact at Pep Boys. The hose clamps and the replacement tubing, which was a fuel line, seemed to work fine.

Yesterday, the hose clamp of the replacement tubing started leaking. I removed it and saw that the plastic coupling between the original tubes and the replacement tube was distorted by the hose clamp. So, replaced coupling, clamped more carefully, everything seemed ok.

This morning, I lost coolant again, and saw that the expansion tank had developed a crack on the side. So, I guess I'll have to replace the tank now!

So, I'll have to replace the tank, and now I'm going to get the exact replacement parts for the return tube, plus all the necessary couplings, etc.

I found the part number for the tank and the tube, but nothing for the brass coupling or clamps. Any ideas?

Also, is it possible something else caused the tank to crack other than just age?

When I saw the tank spraying fluid from the side, I opened the cap, and the whole tank kind of bulged and expanded, as if it had negative pressure inside.

Thank you very, very much in advance.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

The expansion tank and the clamps are common causes for leaks. I was getting "low coolant" warnings once a month but could find no leak or ever saw any fluid under the car. Eventually, I was getting the warning ever 2 weeks. Took the car to my Indie, did a pressure test, found the expansion tank to be the source. He replaced the tank and all tubes for like $150. I love this guy.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

I just replaced my tank, and before that the same tube was spraying everywhere first. I got it handled at the stealer. The tube ran me 150 parts and labor, and tank was 250 parts and labor. I was leaking all OVER the place, like a lake. It was embarassing more than anything but now its all handled.

GL.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

Thank you for your quick replies! I've got the parts on order, and managed to get the leaks under control for now. I can't understand how the tank can crack so easily - it seems!
Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='1011993' date='Sep 19 2009, 08:06 PM
The expansion tank and the clamps are common causes for leaks. I was getting "low coolant" warnings once a month but could find no leak or ever saw any fluid under the car. Eventually, I was getting the warning ever 2 weeks. Took the car to my Indie, did a pressure test, found the expansion tank to be the source. He replaced the tank and all tubes for like $150. I love this guy.
My experience was nearly identical. Mrs. sixcard got an overheat/shutdown warning on a second occasion after the first fix didn?t work. We had to tow to dealer both times. On second fix they replaced the reservoir.

I can?t understand the dealer reaction. They know well of this common malady as demonstrated by this thread. Why don?t they just replace the tank at first and avoid the second, well predicted, trip.

BTW ours was covered under the warranty, so no cost to us.

sixcard