E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions on my 2007 550i

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1036968' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:00 PM
like that's stopped anyone here
I know Gene, but those are the same people who complain the loudest what a piece of $hit our cars are, if something goes wrong with the electrical system. The E60's electronics are finicky enough as they are and I won't take any chance and give BMW fodder for their service guys. To each his own though.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Joel,
You can get the iPod integration kit from BMW to control your iPod from iDrive. Stevens Creek BMW did it for me for $371K for labor. I bought the integration kit from Garry Romani from Newport BMW for about $240 with the 25% discount for forum members.

As an alternative, you can plug in your iPod in the glove compartment and use a remote to fast forward and skip songs..etc.. I think it's from iClick. I used to have it that way but then I got the full integration done. I actually plugged the iPod in the Aux input in the glove but had it mounted by the center console on a kuda iPod/phone base. I had the little remote wrapped around the e-brake handle so it's easier to reach. You'd still need to reach the iPod to select menu and stuff. If you want to do it this way, I still have all that stuff lying around the house and can sell it to you for cheap.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1036975' date='Oct 20 2009, 07:08 PM
Joel,
You can get the iPod integration kit from BMW to control your iPod from iDrive. Stevens Creek BMW did it for me for $371K for labor. I bought the integration kit from Garry Romani from Newport BMW for about $240 with the 25% discount for forum members.

Wow...for $371K, I would have just bought a Ferrari instead and not worried about listening to music.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='1037477' date='Oct 21 2009, 09:59 AM
Wow...for $371K, I would have just bought a Ferrari instead and not worried about listening to music.

I like music a lot. Took out a home loan for that integration kit.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Members

Thanks, guys!

Tony, thanks again for giving me Jeremy's contact info. He'll be doing my car soon and I hope everything turns out well. I'll explore the option you suggested. I'll check with my cousin, too. He's a mechanic for BMW SF and might be able to get a discount on the parts. And about the Nov. 14 meet, the family has a birthday party to go to, but I'll see if I can get out of it. Do I need to drive a 5-series to join the meet?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Members

Also, is the DICE integration kit better and easier to install? How much is it?

Thanks, guys!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GotM' post='1037528' date='Oct 21 2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks, guys!

Tony, thanks again for giving me Jeremy's contact info. He'll be doing my car soon and I hope everything turns out well. I'll explore the option you suggested. I'll check with my cousin, too. He's a mechanic for BMW SF and might be able to get a discount on the parts. And about the Nov. 14 meet, the family has a birthday party to go to, but I'll see if I can get out of it. Do I need to drive a 5-series to join the meet?
Glad you were able to hook up with Jeremy. He's probably wondering which Tony cause he knows two of us, me and member CoolTones with the Silverstone M5. haha

You don't have to drive the 5-series but it would be preferrable. But the main idea is to get together and puts names to faces and have some fun.

Oh and here's a picture of the set up I talked about earlier before I had the integration kit done: You can see how I mounted my iPod on the Kuda base and at the bottom if the pic, you can partially see the white remote I had strapped onto the e-brake handle. That remote will only work with some older generation iPods though and not he iPod videos.

Questions on my 2007 550i-dinan_545_017.jpg
Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1037552' date='Oct 21 2009, 12:32 PM
Glad you were able to hook up with Jeremy. He's probably wondering which Tony cause he knows two of us, me and member CoolTones with the Silverstone M5. haha

You don't have to drive the 5-series but it would be preferrable. But the main idea is to get together and puts names to faces and have some fun.

Oh and here's a picture of the set up I talked about earlier before I had the integration kit done: You can see how I mounted my iPod on the Kuda base and at the bottom if the pic, you can partially see the white remote I had strapped onto the e-brake handle. That remote will only work with some older generation iPods though and not he iPod videos.

Attachment 92725
Thanks, Tony! I think I would go for the full integration. Which iPod integration kit do I need? There's one with the harness and one without it. Did SC BMW also re-program your iDrive? BTW, I have a CD changer in the glove box. Is that a problem? Sorry! Too many questions!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GotM' post='1038230' date='Oct 22 2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Tony! I think I would go for the full integration. Which iPod integration kit do I need? There's one with the harness and one without it. Did SC BMW also re-program your iDrive? BTW, I have a CD changer in the glove box. Is that a problem? Sorry! Too many questions!
I thought there's just one integration kit so I'm not sure. I ordered it for Garry Romani. SC BMW did the installation and the programming of iDrive. You'll lose the usage of your CD Changer from installing this though. Your iPod will be controlled under the CD menu in iDrive. Under the CD sub menu, CD is the single CD slot and CD1 will be where you can view your playlists and stuff. I forgot what the other CD#s do.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GotM' post='1035390' date='Oct 18 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker here. I just recently got a 2007 550i and have a few questions. I'll post pictures when I get the chance. Anyway, the car plays MP3 audios (from CDs) and has an AUX port, but I want to be able to control my iPod from iDrive. I read that you require a cable for this? Also, my car doesn't have navigation and would like to integrate it. I've read that this can be very expensive but I'd still want to hear how this was done and how much money was involved.

Thanks in advance!!!

OK i have an 07 550 and the first mod i did was to buy the IPOD integration kit and I installed it myself in the glove box. It uses the optical cable that would go to the optional 6 CD changer. Not a difficult install at all, it involved removing the glove box door and the back of the glove box and some plug and play wiring and the optical cable. I dont remember it being anywhere near 700 bucks. You do need to have bmw do a quick reprogram of the cd changer to finalize the connection.

I wouldn't be concerned about it being in the glove box either. I took my sons old ipod that had a bad earphone input and copied my music library on it. It sits now in the glove box 24/7 and is not the ipod / now iphone that i use on a day to day basis. Its almost worth buying a used or 2nd ipod to use for the car. Since the bmw ipod adapter uses the bottom apple plug it didnt matter that the earphone input was bad.

Now my music library is accessible brom the idrive although there is a 256? limit to the number of songs you can pull up at one time so you have to make a directory system to use your songs with this setup. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Questions on my 2007 550i