E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on TPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About every two months, my TPM shows my left rear wheel as needing attention.

All four wheels are maintained at 35psi.

When the warning goes off, my left rear wheel has 30psi. I usually refill it to 35psi.

What could cause a tire leak to be that slow that it takes two months to show a loss of 5psi?

I am very glad that I have the TPM, as I would never be able to discover this small change in tire pressure in one wheel.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

you must have a nail that's like the size of a hair =P
sorry couldn't be of much help. maybe the valve stem isn't screwed tight enough?
if it bothers you, you can bring it in america/discount tire and they can check it for you for free, but 5psi in 2 months is really nothing tho. my wife has a nail and it lost 20 psi in a week, after it's fixed, it lost maybe 10psi every couple of weeks.
if yours is brand new never been repairs before, then it seems really strange for 5psi in 2 months...

good that you have the TPM, i change my wheels and still haven't put the TPM back in my wheels, once i change the general UHP i will put the TPM sensors back in...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yeah me too, I struggled w/ low TPM warning for a few months under the impression maybe the valve wasn't tight enough 'cuz the leak was so slow then I took it to the dealer and during visual inspection they found nail punctured at a fixable location but when they removed the tire from the rim to patch it they found another one right on the sidewall and I had to to replace it due to the location.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Contributors

Thanks. The TPM sensor is really good to pick up these small issues. I have visually inspected the tire, but I could not find anything. You are probably right that there is some type of small puncture in the tire.

It is probably better to get it checked sooner than later to prevent a high speed blow out.

Best regards,
Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

In my case before the head portion of the nail was cut off or some sort and what was left got into the thread and become not visible and of course the one on the sidewall was from the inside corner so neither one of us can see 'till the tire was off the rim... yeah the SA said the one on the sidewall kinda dangerous place to be they can not patch that since it's where its loaded the most aside from the awkward location being in the corner not flat the patch cover in the inside will not stick properly.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

[quote name='monacobmw' date='Oct 8 2007, 01:43 PM' post='479232']
About every two months, my TPM shows my left rear wheel as needing attention.

All four wheels are maintained at 35psi.

When the warning goes off, my left rear wheel has 30psi. I usually refill it to 35psi.

What could cause a tire leak to be that slow that it takes two months to show a loss of 5psi?

I am very glad that I have the TPM, as I would never be able to discover this small change in tire pressure in one wheel.

Any thoughts?
[/quote

it could also be caused by cracked rim(hairline fracture would make tire leak that slow) or the tire may not fit tightly on the rim itself-just go to tire shop, they will submerge your wheel in tub filled with water and see where it is leaking from,if it does not bubble(it may not be noticable because you have very slow leak)they will have to dismount the tire and inspect the rim visually,inch by inch...hope it helps,good luck!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I had a similar issue on my old 1995 E36 M3, the culprit was the chrome finish on the wheels. If the air inside your tires is overly moist, it allows the chrome to start peeling away from the rim and over time the tire loses pressure. The only solution then was to have the wheel re-chromed, it was a hassle, but not as bad as say a blowout at highway speeds? Hope it helps!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='482918' date='Oct 17 2007, 10:23 PM
I had a similar issue on my old 1995 E36 M3, the culprit was the chrome finish on the wheels. If the air inside your tires is overly moist, it allows the chrome to start peeling away from the rim and over time the tire loses pressure. The only solution then was to have the wheel re-chromed, it was a hassle, but not as bad as say a blowout at highway speeds? Hope it helps!
Thanks. These are pretty new OEM #166 wheels, and they were all filled with air together.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='479509' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:17 AM
In my case before the head portion of the nail was cut off or some sort and what was left got into the thread and become not visible and of course the one on the sidewall was from the inside corner so neither one of us can see 'till the tire was off the rim... yeah the SA said the one on the sidewall kinda dangerous place to be they can not patch that since it's where its loaded the most aside from the awkward location being in the corner not flat the patch cover in the inside will not stick properly.

Good luck!
A little off topic but are you still running the stock 17's on your xi? Continental calls for 30psi front and 35psi back.
I've been playing around with tire pressure = I see you run all four at 35psi = You like the ride better than the recommended 30 35??

Thanks

Joe