E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question on Condition Based Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

My car is due for front brake pad servicing. I know BMW will charge sky high for their parts and labour. Does anyone know if I carry out the work at my local garage, will the sensor pick up the new pads' condition? Or do I have to take it back to BMW to reset the idrive after the part has been replace?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Mario,

This is the sort of job the $tealers love!
If you don't feel able to do the job yourself, get your local Indy to do it, or if you have a "trusted" workshop, use them as it is an easy job to do.

As far as the iDrive warning goes, have a look at the following thread, it describes the procedure to reset the Oil Change warning, but the Brake Pad Warning reset is the same.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17756

If you inspect your car frequently, it could be that the pads don't even need replacing - whip a wheel off and have a look. If there is plenty of "meat" left on the pads, then reset the indicator (or live with it) but you MUST check the thickness regularly afterwards, because you wouldn't want to wear the pads down to the metal.

To give you an idea, EuroCarParts are selling Genuine Pads for around ?50 (depending on model) plus ?8 for the wear sensor if required. There are cheaper pads on offer, but before you buy, do a search on brake pads on the site as some people have had less than wonderful experiences with cheaper pads.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SE, Black Sapphire, Auburn Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Sport Suspension, Servotronic Steering, Dynamic Drive, Rear Side Air Bags, Elec Glass Sunroof, Rear Blind Elec, Active Front Seats, Comfort Seats-Electric, Heated Front Seats, Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Headlamp Washer System, Business Nav, BT, Logic 7, 6 Cd Changer, PDC.
Mario,

You can also check these reviews of local garages and give the good one's a call to price your job. I have posted this URL before, but its always makes a good read.

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/garages.html