E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

question about 520d ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Originally Posted by red arrow' post='560762' date='Apr 13 2008, 06:14 PM
Can anyone tell me when the new 177bhp engine came into use?
177BHP Engine in Production from September 2007. Unlikely a car registered in Sep 2007 has the engine - the dealer selling the car should be able to tell you. If it has the newer engine the auto gearbox should also have the newer 'joystick' style shifter.

Enjoy your shopping experience :-)
Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Members

You are right about the engine ..it's the old one but oddly enough has the newer style auto shifter! Not being the new engine decided it for me as regards that one. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 520D M Sport Manual, Media Package, Dakota Grey leather, USB, Folding mirrors, Carbon Black.

I picked up my spanking new 520D M Sport on friday. Drove it to Brussels from Rochester on Saturday. I part exchanged an 04 325i SE for it for the same reason as you. Hence the 325 is what l can realistically compare it with.

Suspension
The M Sport suspension is harder than that on the SE, hence you will notice all the bumps on the road, it is more sharper an unfalterable well planted tracking through twisties. I must say; compared to the suspension on the 325i SE it is marginally harder.

Engine Noise
In the cabin at idling tick over, the diesel clonking is barely noticeable compare to standing outside. What really impresses me is when you drive off, it somehow evolves the typical BMW engine sound that you would attribute to the straight six Beemers. More impressive is the quiet of the engine at motorway speed. If you are the sort of driver such as myself that rely on engine sound to change gears, then you would be caught out occasionally driving along in one of the mid gears such a 4th without realising that you are not in six yet. I have to say that the cabin is very quite at motorway speeds.
Watch out for the gear indicator icon on the dash which indicates the correct gear for the speed that the car is travelling. Very neat and helpfull way to help you get the most mpg out of your tank of fuel.

Engine Power
The power delivery is so smooth and progressively linear. I cannot fault it. oodles of Torque that would whisk you up to 144 mph without breaking sweat. It is deceptively quick, you have to look at the speedo to appreciate the speed you are travelling.

Dynamic Stability
This is one area where the 520D falters. For a big car, it is very susceptible to cross winds. More so than my 325i. It feels so light but still the effect of cross wind on it is mild and not unsettling.

Steering
Compared to my 325i, the steering is so light as well. I miss the directness of the feel on 325i. But l have to say that l love the active steer of it, parking is a breeze. The steering wheel is well cushioned that it takes away the fatige normal to hard steering wheels.

Seats
On the M Sport you get sport seats, if you can afford it, l recommend getting the leather seats. They are semi electric, particularly for lifting the seat or reclining the back rest. Manual for moving the seat forward or backwards.

Interior Trim
The M Sport comes with Pendant Aluminium trim. You can look high and low on BMW's web site you will not find a picture of it. It is ok, but if l had the opportunity to see what it was, l would have got one of the wood effect trims. This is subjective, hence go into a dealer and have a look to see if it your cup of tea.

Sound
The standard sound is decent. Good enough for me. Put it this way; not bad enough for me to fork out a grand plu for the Logik 7. If music is of some importance to your driving enjoyment, then consider getting the USB option, dont bother with the six disc changer. Because with a USB memory stick or harddrive you can hook up 1000's of your favorite tracks to the sound system oooh haaa

Climate Control
I haven't got the hang of it properly yet. But it seem complicated.

Sat Nav
I have the Media Package. There is an offer going on at the mo, BMW will sell you the business Sat nav for 350 quid on new 520D.

Wheels
The standard Alloy wheels on the M Sport is wicked. The run flat tyres can be abit noicey on some road surfaces. They are quite hard as well hence attenuates the hard sport suspensions. There is no spare wheel on account of the run flat tyres which you can use for a range of up to 200 miles at 50mph.

This is all l can think of at the mo. At 55mpg which equates to some 800 miles range, you know that it make good sense to get one of these. Enjoy matey