E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Question"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Come on guys give him a break.

Read my comments on BT at the following URL:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=moopai

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808479' date='Mar 5 2009, 04:14 PM
So i went to my local BMW dealer to get my oil change and some other stuff taking care of, and the loaner they gave me is a 2009 528i. As i drove home i noticed a phone button on the steering wheel like my 2004 530i has, so i got curious and pushed it and the display asked me if i wanted to pair up my bluetooth. I immediately paired it up and low and behold it WORKS! I fell in love with this feature so i called the dealer ship and asked them if they can figure out why my bluetooth on my car didnt work and their response was "YOU DONT HAVE THAT OPTION"!
They said that because my car is a 2004 but ............. built in 2003, my car is NOT compatible with the BMW bluetooth option. Is this true, does anyone know of this?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bluetooth on my 12/03 build 545. Works great with my blackberry 8300. Have the dealer check your build order and see if your car was prep'd for communication. If it was, all you need is a new TCU and a software activation and update. Unfortunately, the TCU is $1700 or $1800. I got myTCU for free because they toasted my old TCU while updating the software for another reason. The bluetooth upgrade cost me a total of $112 for the softwre update.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Thanks again guys, freaking love this forum, i would be lost without it!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Wow, been awhile. I owned one of the first 545's delivered in So.Cal. and while it was suppose to have Blue tooth it didn't. In the beginning the e60's TCU was flawed in that while it was supposed to support blue tooth and it didn't. BMWNA back peddled and refused to update the TCU's in the first gen cars. (really pissed me off). By march the following year that had resolved this issue.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Just got off the phone with my BMW tech, he tells me that the issue was with the TCU because at first the early 03/04 models didnt come prepared with the software due to Germans not wanting that option to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. He said that he has heard of a TCU swap out but that it would run me between $600.00 - $800.00 dollars total. He is checking to see if my car is actually compatible or not at the moment and should be calling me back within minutes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is, this way it would be just an update on the software and not hardware. Wish me luck guys!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808586' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:01 PM
Just got off the phone with my BMW tech, he tells me that the issue was with the TCU because at first the early 03/04 models didnt come prepared with the software due to Germans not wanting that option to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. He said that he has heard of a TCU swap out but that it would run me between $600.00 - $800.00 dollars total. He is checking to see if my car is actually compatible or not at the moment and should be calling me back within minutes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is, this way it would be just an update on the software and not hardware. Wish me luck guys!
If the dealer says the swap is doable, you can find a TCU used and swap it that way, roughly $400 on average for a used TCU, possibly even more cheap.

I have a 09/2003 build and i was able to get bluetooth on my car by swapping the TCU and having BMW program the car.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='808608' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:26 PM
If the dealer says the swap is doable, you can find a TCU used and swap it that way, roughly $400 on average for a used TCU, possibly even more cheap.

I have a 09/2003 build and i was able to get bluetooth on my car by swapping the TCU and having BMW program the car.

Good luck!
+ 1 Or call Garry and see what the discounted price for a new TCU is!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's exactly what I said several posts back, but I believe the TCU swap is about twice the price he gave you.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808586' date='Mar 5 2009, 03:01 PM
LMAO @ Blame the Germans...did they suddenly decide in March that driving and talking was good? The real issue was not due to German fickle driving preferences, but a hardware incompatibility between the Bluetooth and BMW Assist modules within the TCU.