E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Question"

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

So i went to my local BMW dealer to get my oil change and some other stuff taking care of, and the loaner they gave me is a 2009 528i. As i drove home i noticed a phone button on the steering wheel like my 2004 530i has, so i got curious and pushed it and the display asked me if i wanted to pair up my bluetooth. I immediately paired it up and low and behold it WORKS! I fell in love with this feature so i called the dealer ship and asked them if they can figure out why my bluetooth on my car didnt work and their response was "YOU DONT HAVE THAT OPTION"!
They said that because my car is a 2004 but ............. built in 2003, my car is NOT compatible with the BMW bluetooth option. Is this true, does anyone know of this?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808479' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:14 PM
So i went to my local BMW dealer to get my oil change and some other stuff taking care of, and the loaner they gave me is a 2009 528i. As i drove home i noticed a phone button on the steering wheel like my 2004 530i has, so i got curious and pushed it and the display asked me if i wanted to pair up my bluetooth. I immediately paired it up and low and behold it WORKS! I fell in love with this feature so i called the dealer ship and asked them if they can figure out why my bluetooth on my car didnt work and their response was "YOU DONT HAVE THAT OPTION"!
They said that because my car is a 2004 but ............. built in 2003, my car is NOT compatible with the BMW bluetooth option. Is this true, does anyone know of this?
You've been here over a year and post a question with the subject "Question" ?????
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

its a legit question, how else am i suppose to post a question? Confused! Anyone?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808487' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:24 PM
its a legit question, how else am i suppose to post a question? Confused! Anyone?
Never mind.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Members

That was no help dude! but thanks for your observation!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808479' date='Mar 5 2009, 04:14 PM
IMHO You can BT almost any BMW made since 2001 - but it may be expensive! I installed the TCU, antennae, and Mike in my 2001 740i - took me all of one hour because all the wiring was there. Sort of plug and play. Total cost was about $300/with a used Telecommunications Module.

That said, with the level of integration of the e60 electronics it certainly would involve addition of modules and programming. If I were you, I'd go shop for a stand alone BT gizmo from a top tier telecom company (like Motorola) and put up in the headliner or on your visor. It'll work and should look OK.

Or, if you don't have Nav, but one with BT - one of my Garmins (Nuvi 360) has BT and it works quite well - even downloads the phone book from my Motorola phones.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Members

Thanks bud, that helps a whole lot, looks like im going to have to do some shopping!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808479' date='Mar 5 2009, 05:14 PM
Hi, my car is a 2003 530d and has the BMW bluetooth fully compatible with my Sony Erricson moby, even though the phone I have is not listed for the car. Hope that helps a bit...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808487' date='Mar 5 2009, 04:24 PM
i think he means you should type out the question in the subject field rather than just put the word "question". ie "How can I get bluetooth in my 2003 E60?"

btw- go to the bluetooth forum and read the section, you will find the rather expensive answer is yes it can be done.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='808479' date='Mar 5 2009, 01:14 PM
Here's the skinny. Early model E60's were originally planned to have Bluetooth. However, a hardware problem in the TCU with bluetooth and BMW Assist activated (possibly processor-related) prevented roll-out, so the Bluetooth module hardware was disabled. Even though your TCU has the nice lil Bluetooth logo on it, the system cannot be activated. In March 2004, the defect was corrected and rolled out. In oder for you to have Bluetooth, you'll need a Bluetooth-capable TCU (03/2004 and newer, but BMW says MY 2005 and newer for retrofits), coding to CIP 13.2 and newer w/bluetooth activation, and all related hardware (antenna, cradle, wiring, etc). Clicky HERE for details...