E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Quad exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Very nice, I like the diffuser. As for your question regarding carbon fiber. What you said is correct with the fiberglass. What they are doing is a carbon overlay, or even look a like. either way, all is ok because you are only looking for the appearance. They form a substrate fiberglass in your situation and then apply the overlay and then the finish coat. Most of the final is a clear resin and then polished. This normally turns out very nice and provides the look most want. If its a true carbon the cost would have been very expensive and most likely cost prohibited.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: none

hey OP.. any more pics of the car with the diffuser? I have the same color and I'm looking at the carbon fiber one but im not sure how the color will match
Old 12-26-2013, 06:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535 X-Drive | Sport, Premium, Cold, Nav | OEM MTech Kit | MTech V3 3.0 AE | RDash Plate Lights | Interior LED | 6000K Fogs | SAT Retrofit | Continental DWS | Jehnert Speakers | Gloss Vinyl Roof | Custom Ambient Amber Match LED Interior |

Well played and tasteful Mike K! Any indication of power loss and did you have to do any additional modding to the right side such as battery/heat shield? 10' 535 here as well and want to do the same.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Members

That's looks great Mike K! I am going for a quad setup soon as well or I was thinking about this type of setup, what do you and other guys think? Do you have any sound clips also?

Brand New Polished Stainless Double Wall Resonated Oval Rolled Exhaust Tip | eBay
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by tonyb635; 01-13-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i

Originally Posted by Mike_K
There seems to be a lot of posts asking about the ebay diffusers that had no answers and just generally a lot of quad exhaust conversion posts with no answers. So, I thought I'd post pics of my setup.

Car is a 2010 535 M Sport. Here's how it started:

First things first, I went with this eBay diffuser:

BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser E60 M Sport Tech Quad | eBay

A couple notes on it...

1. I'm not sure how carbon fiber stuff is made but this appears to be fiber glass with a layer of carbon fiber and then clear laquer over that. Maybe that's the accepted method for this stuff. Either way it's lighter than stock and still plenty firm plus the finish was great.

2. There are tabs that slide into the stock bumper and they suck. They're brittle and not deep enough to fit the right way so getting the piece to fit, especially on the rather floppy bumper, can be a challenge. It's doable though.

Diffuser installed:

Now then for the exhaust. There were a couple sellers selling a quad exhaust conversion on eBay that was a direct bolt on. I ordered it once and they lied to me about it getting damaged in shipping despite never shipping it. So they refunded me and I ordered from another seller that actually ended up being the first seller and they gave me the same excuse. I look in their feedback and there's a bunch of people complaining about the same "it got damaged in shipping" excuse.

So a member here saw my post about it and PM'd me about a setup he had on his car that he was willing to sell. This particular setup is custom but uses a Dynomax muffler and custom piping. It's basically just a 1 in; 2 out muffler with a pipe that runs from the second exit to the right side of the car.

Here's the finished product:

It turned out exactly how I wanted it and it sounds great, especially with the downshift rev matching with the SAT trans... It lets out a nice burble as it's downshifting and is probably as loud as a stock M5 so very tolerable and with no drone.

And that's my story!

Any pics of the underside? Any issues with pipe routing and ARS?