E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pulled over for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by JDN' post='305052' date='Jun 29 2006, 09:42 AM
My experience says you should respect the officer and his problems encountered with pulling people over.

1. Cut the engine.
2. Turn on the dome light at night.
3. Lower the driver side window.
4. Put your hands out the window, palms up with your license and registration.
5. Admit guilt - (I always am)

Do all of the above before the officer walks up

6. Call to the officer's attention that you did all of the above because you know he has a tough job and you are trying to make it easier for him.

I do a few other things, too, but the above is the gist of it. My last ticket was in 1987. Since driving Bimmers, I have never received a ticket nor a written warning. Oral requests to keep it down have been the extent of my citations although a ticket would have been easily justified. Also, Mr. Valentine has been of utmost help.

1. Cut the engine. (Always do this, and remove the keys from the ignition and place them on the dash in plain view)

2. Turn on dome light at night. (This is also a good idea, especially with tinted windows)

3. Lower the driver side window (Yes)

4. Put hands out the window (This is not necessary. I would suggest just keeping hands on the steering wheel)

5. Admit guilt. (ABSOLUTELY NOT..... NEVER ADMIT GUILT, EVER!!!!!!) The 5th Amendment of the Constitution states that no person is required to make statements which incriminate himself. If you admit guilt, you are waiving your rights... and your admission can be used against you. Never do this, regardless of the circumstances. Police are not there to help you.... their job is to gather evidence and assist in your prosecution. Don't make their job easier by waiving your constitutional rights.

6. NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH. Doesn't matter if you have anything to hide or not, you never should allow a cop to search your car.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Members

When you say 35% tint, are you sure that is the combined result of the factory tint plus the aftermarket tint?
If you applied 35% tint on top of the factory tint wouldn't you be beyond the legal limit?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by fargo' post='305110' date='Jun 29 2006, 11:59 AM
When you say 35% tint, are you sure that is the combined result of the factory tint plus the aftermarket tint?
If you applied 35% tint on top of the factory tint wouldn't you be beyond the legal limit?

Yes, you are correct that it would be darker.

And state tint limits are measured by total VLT.... which means 35% film over factory windows would be darker than 35%, and could be illegal.

That's why South Carolina, for example... has tint law set at 27% total VLT. That way you can use 35% tint film, and be ok.... but if you use 20% you're way under.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Originally Posted by mullman' post='305047' date='Jun 29 2006, 09:26 AM
...Curious, but I travel to MA and ME each summer and will be driving this car.
Can I get a ticket out of state from this - surely not...
I believe the state law(s) regarding tint only apply to the vehicles registered in that state.
ie. your NC tinted vehicle is legal in MA, even though it may not meet their requirements, because it is NOT a MA registered vehicle.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='305101' date='Jun 29 2006, 10:46 AM
4. Put hands out the window (This is not necessary. I would suggest just keeping hands on the steering wheel)

Out the window, he can see you are less harmless to him as he approaches. Otherwise he will be more edgy because from behind he cannot tell where your hands are or what you are doing.

5. Admit guilt. (ABSOLUTELY NOT..... NEVER ADMIT GUILT, EVER!!!!!!) The 5th Amendment of the Constitution states that no person is required to make statements which incriminate himself. If you admit guilt, you are waiving your rights... and your admission can be used against you. Never do this, regardless of the circumstances. Police are not there to help you.... their job is to gather evidence and assist in your prosecution. Don't make their job easier by waiving your constitutional rights.

OK, argue with him and enjoy your ticket.

6. NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH. Doesn't matter if you have anything to hide or not, you never should allow a cop to search your car.

Absolutely. If he asks for a search tell him the keys are in the ignition or wherever and do what he thinks is right if he has probable cause.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

I use 5% for side and rear and 20% for windshield. I'm become invisible ....

How do they measure the tinted windows there? Do you get a stamp in the tinted windows?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='305050' date='Jun 29 2006, 06:40 AM
And it is a moving violation which surcharges you for 6 yrs here so it isn't worth the risk to me.
In Mass tint is a moving violation? That sucks :thumbsdown: Hope that doesn't happen here in Cali
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='305275' date='Jun 29 2006, 04:38 PM
In Mass tint is a moving violation? That sucks :thumbsdown: Hope that doesn't happen here in Cali
Dude, you better pray that doesn't happen here!! You are a tinted violation waiting for a citation!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Contributors

JDN:

You seem to be misunderstanding what I am saying:

Not admitting guilt does not mean argue. It means "Don't admit guilt." If the cop asks you if you know why he pulled you over, you don't say: "Because I was speeding." You say, I don't know... or you don't answer. You have the 5th Amendment right to not incriminate yourself, so for Gods sake take advantage of that. Don't hand over your rights on a silver platter just because the cop asks you a sneaky question. I think that the best thing to do is to politely ask the cop why he pulled you over BEFORE he asks you anything.

Example:

Cop pulls you over.... you park, roll down your window, and when the cop is close enough to hear... say: "Good afternoon. Why have you pulled me over?"

This stops the cop from asking you that question, and waiting for you to admit guilt and waive your rights.

If the cop clocked you speeding, he is going to tell you. When he does, you can acknowledge you understand, but don't admit guilt. You can fight the ticket later.... but if you admit guilt, you make it harder for you to win.

That's what I'm saying.

Not consenting to a search means that you say to the cop: "I do not consent to any searches"
It doesn't mean you fist fight the cop to stop him from entering your car. Police officers are trained EXACTLY how to maneuver around your rights. If a cop wants to search your car, he must have one of three things.... either a warrant, or "probable cause", or your consent. In the case of searching a car, probable cause typically comes down to the "plain view rule". The Plain View Rule means that if there is an illegal item in plain view from outside the car, then the officer has probable cause to search. An example might be an open beer can in the cupholder.

A cop might not see something in plain view, but he might suspect you have something regardless. In this case, he will want to search your car.... but without a warrant, or probable cause, he knows he can only search with your permission. This is where CONSENT comes into play. The cop will ask you for permission. They will say something like.... "Do you have the keys to this car?" followed by "You don't mind if I look in the trunk, do you?" or "You don't mind if I have a look inside?" Often they will ask these questions in a very calm, and nonchalant manner, to make you more trusting.... or to move faster than you can think about your response. This is no accident... it is what they have been trained to do. They may even say something like: "If you don't have anything to hide, then you shouldn't be worried." These are all tricks. It does not matter if you are hiding something or not, you don't have any legal obligation to consent to a police search without a warrant.... so WHY do it? You have NOTHING to gain, and everything to lose.

I don't know about your age.... but I'm still in my 20s, and I know that until I get a little older, cops are going to be more suspicious of me because I'm driving a $70,000 BMW. So it's just a good idea for me to know my rights, and how to handle a police situation.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='305276' date='Jun 29 2006, 04:41 PM
Dude, you better pray that doesn't happen here!! You are a tinted violation waiting for a citation!!
What are you talking about Keith..My tint is not dark at all..

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tinted windows