E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pulled over for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 550 for an awesome two weeks and on day one had the windows tinted to the legal Mass limit of 35% all around with a 6" windshield strip. I've had my share of illegally tinted windows years ago when the law wasn't enforced as much. But now most cities other than in the bigger Boston area are getting strict. I'm in a smaller city so I went legal to avoid attention. But with the rear screens up (how I always have it), and the 6" windshield strip it's really black and almost impossible to see in.

So I've been driving around just counting the days until I get pulled over for it. Today was my lucky day. The police were running their regular radar trap near my house and as I passed by the officer at exactly 30 mph, the posted speed, he threw on his lights and pulled me over.
He asked for the license and reg and asked me to roll down the back window half way. Of course once he looked in he saw the situation and was not happy to tell me that he thought I had illegally tinted windows but sees I have the window screens. He handed back my lic and reg and in an oh so disappointed tone told me I was free to go. I'm sure this won't be my last time. So has anyone else had this happen to them? Any good stories? And I thought you couldn't be pulled over without a more substantial reason?? other than your windows look too dark....
Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Does that rule applies to all windows? In Ontario Canada the restriction only applies to front windshield and front side windows.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Blah' post='304325' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:52 PM
Does that rule applies to all windows? In Ontario Canada the restriction only applies to front windshield and front side windows.

It varies state to state in the U.S., but yes for Mass it's 35% visible light must pass through all windows and you can only put a 6" strip on the windshield. I wish we could tint like Ontario..

I want to add a comment on my original post: I respect the police, in fact I have a family member in the force and understand that every time an officer walks up to your car they take a risk. And not being able to see in is dangerous. So with my windows so dark with the shades up, I did put down the back shade immediately and opened my front windows when the officer walked up to my car. I wanted him to be able to see me for sure.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='304449' date='Jun 28 2006, 04:56 PM
but yes for Mass it's 35% visible light must pass through all windows

i think its the other way round ..... 35% of light can be blocked and 65% can go thru
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='304453' date='Jun 28 2006, 08:21 AM
i think its the other way round ..... 35% of light can be blocked and 65% can go thru
They do actually mean 35% of light must pass through. So it's blocking a total of 65%. Factory glass is tinted about 5-10% already then they added 42% tinted film and it's now at approx 35%. I'm really not trying to confuse everyone.

From the Mass RMV:
What are the specifications for aftermarket window tinting?

For most vehicles, aftermarket tinting that registers at least 35% on a tint meter on side windows immediately adjacent to the driver and front passenger seats, and side windows immediately to the rear of the operator and passenger, is acceptable. The rear window may be tinted to the 35% level, but the vehicle must be equipped with two outside rear view mirrors. The windshield may only be tinted down to the AS-1 line, which is usually located in the uppermost (6) inches of the windshield.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, sport package, dynamic package, performance package...

I usually open up my sunroof to let good light in when I see a cop or a radar trap - it makes the tint look lighter. I got caught once too (same situation, but didn't have the windshield tint), and got off with a warning. Ever since then, I do my trick and it seems to work!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Generally, the best policy is to get as much light into your car as possible before the cop walks up.
So opening the sunroof is a good idea. However, as a general rule DO NOT roll down your windows.

In the USA, cops should NEVER be trusted. They are trained to trick you into giving up your Constitutional rights. If you roll down your windows, you give the cop an easier chance to claim probable cause to search your car. Never give a police officer an easy way to see into your car.... regardless if you have anything to hide or not.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: '03 540i 6MT '04 R1100S

6" front windshield window strip??? sa-weeeeet!! now, that's rolling "old school"..........
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I PREMIUM 20" HARTGE NOVA 7 (STAGGERED) WITH NITTO 555 H&R SPORT SPRINGS BILSTEIN SPORT SHOCKS HARTGE BADGES, SHIFT KNOB, PEDALS, FLOORMATS. REMUS SPORT EXHAUST

I AGREE WITH subterFUSE........F*@K THE POLICE....
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='304537' date='Jun 28 2006, 11:54 AM
Generally, the best policy is to get as much light into your car as possible before the cop walks up.
So opening the sunroof is a good idea. However, as a general rule DO NOT roll down your windows.
In the USA, cops should NEVER be trusted. They are trained to trick you into giving up your Constitutional rights. If you roll down your windows, you give the cop an easier chance to claim probable cause to search your car. Never give a police officer an easy way to see into your car.... regardless if you have anything to hide or not.
I'm glad I live in Canada! Even so, if you drive a rice rocket with all the bling you are still targetted. A high end car, on the other hand, gets more respect especially if it is relatively bling free.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tinted windows