E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pulled over for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by hartgeE60' post='304795' date='Jun 28 2006, 06:06 PM
I AGREE WITH subterFUSE........F*@K THE POLICE....
Good thing you missed the Socal Meet and Greet then b/c we have a member who actively participate on this board who is a policeman. My first impressions of him was that he's a good guy and funny. I'm hoping he can make it to the next Socal Meet in September. And, you're welcomed to join too!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by jiio' post='304885' date='Jun 28 2006, 09:35 PM
Good thing you missed the Socal Meet and Greet then b/c we have a member who actively participate on this board who is a policeman. My first impressions of him was that he's a good guy and funny. I'm hoping he can make it to the next Socal Meet in September. And, you're welcomed to join too!
How funny Jiio....I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing.......it was a kick listening to stories by one of LA's finest!!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='304901' date='Jun 28 2006, 09:54 PM
How funny Jiio....I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing.......it was a kick listening to stories by one of LA's finest!!
Yeah, I just hope I never get pulled over by LA's finest while doing one of my spirited drives.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Might be a good guy in daily life.... but the rule still stands.

If you are pulled over by a police officer.... he is the enemy.... and should not be trusted one single ounce.

They are trained to trick you into giving up your rights.

Example:

A cop walks up to your car and asks politely: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

The uninformed person might think the cop is just asking a basic question, and that if they are honest and polite, it will help them. The truth is that the cop is trying to get you to give up your 5th amemdment right to not incriminate yourself. NEVER answer a question which admits your guilt.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

I live in NC and 35% is also the legal tint here, and what I have always had.

I went with 20% on my E60 last week.
With the side and rear shades up you CANNOT see in the car at all.

I'm sure I'll be pulled at some point.

Curious, but I travel to MA and ME each summer and will be driving this car.
Can I get a ticket out of state from this - surely not...
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mullman' post='305047' date='Jun 29 2006, 09:26 AM
I live in NC an 35% is also the legal tint here, and what I have always had.

I went with 20% on my E60 last week.
With the side and rear shades up you CANNOT see in the car at all.

I'm sure I'll be pulled at some point.

Curious, but I travel to MA and ME each summer and will be driving this car.
Can I get a ticket out of state from this - surely not...

Wow, 20% must look nice.. I can imagine how dark it is with the shades since I can't see in mine now at 35%. If I tried that here I would have probably been written up already.. And it is a moving violation which surcharges you for 6 yrs here so it isn't worth the risk to me. Ends up costing thousands in total with what you'll loose in good driver credits if you have a clean driving record.

I know that technically, they can hold you accountable for the states law that you live and are registered in. However, whether the police in here in MA carry around a list of the state to state tint laws is a good question. If they know your supposed to have 35% they can ticket you. If you just come through on the main roads and bigger cities it won't be a problem but once you get into smaller towns they'll nab you. Good luck..
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

My experience says you should respect the officer and his problems encountered with pulling people over.

1. Cut the engine.
2. Turn on the dome light at night.
3. Lower the driver side window.
4. Put your hands out the window, palms up with your license and registration.
5. Admit guilt - (I always am)

Do all of the above before the officer walks up

6. Call to the officer's attention that you did all of the above because you know he has a tough job and you are trying to make it easier for him.

I do a few other things, too, but the above is the gist of it. My last ticket was in 1987. Since driving Bimmers, I have never received a ticket nor a written warning. Oral requests to keep it down have been the extent of my citations although a ticket would have been easily justified. Also, Mr. Valentine has been of utmost help.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' post='305052' date='Jun 29 2006, 06:42 AM
My experience says you should respect the officer and his problems encountered with pulling people over.

1. Cut the engine.
2. Turn on the dome light at night.
3. Lower the driver side window.
4. Put your hands out the window, palms up with your license and registration.
5. Admit guilt - (I always am)
6. Call to the officer's attention that you did all of the above because you know he has a tough job and you are trying to make it easier for him.

I do a few other things, too, but the above is the gist of it. My last ticket was in 1987. Since driving Bimmers, I have never received a ticket nor a written warning. Oral requests to keep it down have been the extent of my citations although a ticket would have been easily justified. Also, Mr. Valentine has been of utmost help.
I agree with JDN. Here is what I do when I do get pulled over.

1. Cut engine.
2. Kill radio.
3. Immediately roll all four windows down.
4. Put hands in 10 and 2 o'clock position.
5. Wait for officer to approach.
6. Give respect and follow directions for drivers license and insurance.
7. If asked why I got pulled over, tell them I haven't the foggest idea.
8. Accept whatever comes my way, be it a warning or ticket.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I just do not think that putting the max tint on your car for esthetic reasons is consistent with having respect for the police. These fellas have a tough job, and the high-tint cars cause them serious anxiety.

Cops may be the "enemy" if you are a criminal; hard to see how they're my enemy. If I'm breaking a traffic law I should expect to get pulled over.

Yeah, I am an old fart.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

IMHO I just think there are many more pressing issues in this country over and beyond how dark I would like the windows on my personal vehicle. WTF?? But then again I grew up never sitting in a car seat or having a bike helmet - the good old days.

In my local area violent crime is at an all time high basically due to overcrowded jails and overbooked courts.
Yet all my city wants to spend money on is speed and red-light cameras - it is insanity

I am always very respectful to police and the last ticket I had was 87 in a 55 in Wilkes Barre (sp?), PA on the way to my wedding of all things. Of course the idiot gave me a ticket since he saw the V1 hardwired in the Volvo V70T5 I was driving at the time.
Speeding tickets are nothing more than revenue generation for the local coffers.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tinted windows