E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Prospective 545i Owner with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Mini Cooper 2004 Acura TSX

So let's start with an introduction. My name is Tony. I'm new to this forum as well as BMWs. I've been an Acura, Toyota, Lexus owner all my life thus far so I'd like to change into something European and I fell in love with Bimmers after having ridden in many of my friends' cars.

I've been reading around a lot of the 5-series forums about the 545i so I know partially what I am potentially getting into by buying one, but I'd love to have all this information in one place so I can decide if this car is going to be the one for me in the long run. It might do well for other potential owners as well to have all the pre-purchasing info here instead of having to go through tons of old threads for info.

1. What are the common (non-maintenance) issues with the car?
2. I've read about transmission surge issues with many owners. Is this only for the automatic cars? Does it apply to the SMG's as well?
3. What options are worth looking into and which ones aren't? The ones I'm particularly interested in are the SMG and the premium sound.
4. Any differences between an '04 and an '05 (reliability, mechanical, exterior, etc)?
5. What are the common mods people do to these cars?
6. Anything else I should know about the car or look out for when purchasing?

Thanks for all your help and hopefully I'll be able to join you guys shortly if this car proves to be all it's hyped to be!

Tony
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome to the forums -- for sure you've come to the right place to get your questions answered. Although I won't attempt to answer all of them, I will say right off the bat that SMG is awesome. I don't believe you'll experience any transmission surge issues with that transmission since technically, it's a manual. I don't recall there being much difference between 2004 and 2005 cars other than body colored inserts on the rear bumper and many newer software versions. No matter what car you end up with, you'll probably want a dealer to verify which software version the car is running and, if it's not one of the more current ones, have it upgraded.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by myRice
So let's start with an introduction. My name is Tony. I'm new to this forum as well as BMWs. I've been an Acura, Toyota, Lexus owner all my life thus far so I'd like to change into something European and I fell in love with Bimmers after having ridden in many of my friends' cars.

I've been reading around a lot of the 5-series forums about the 545i so I know partially what I am potentially getting into by buying one, but I'd love to have all this information in one place so I can decide if this car is going to be the one for me in the long run. It might do well for other potential owners as well to have all the pre-purchasing info here instead of having to go through tons of old threads for info.

1. What are the common (non-maintenance) issues with the car?
2. I've read about transmission surge issues with many owners. Is this only for the automatic cars? Does it apply to the SMG's as well?
3. What options are worth looking into and which ones aren't? The ones I'm particularly interested in are the SMG and the premium sound.
4. Any differences between an '04 and an '05 (reliability, mechanical, exterior, etc)?
5. What are the common mods people do to these cars?
6. Anything else I should know about the car or look out for when purchasing?

Thanks for all your help and hopefully I'll be able to join you guys shortly if this car proves to be all it's hyped to be!

Tony

Hi,

1. Oil leaks - valve cover, oil pan, upper timing cover.
coolant leaks (water pump, temp sensors, valley pan)
brake booster or brake vacuum leaks
thermostat going bad

some car (545i and 745i) have the problem with return pipe o-ring
See the link

4. some 2004 cars have problem with valve lifters (this was resolved in 02.2005)

Hope that helps ;-)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Hi,

thermostat going bad

See the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4

4. some 2004 cars have problem with valve lifters (this was resolved in 02.2005)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7ptk_1jmI

Hope that helps ;-)
That pretty much covers it. These cars would have more electrical than mechanical problems but the main mechanical ones to look out for would be the valve lifters (you can tell if they're bad if you hear a ticking noise from the engine), coolant and oil leaks. This car will last for sure but will have its hiccups. The SMG tranny has had its share of issues also (at least from the E46 M3 crowd) but if you get a pre-purchase inspection you should be fine.

As for options, it depends on what you really want: premium package (most have), sport package (a must have IMO), Logic 7 audio (nice to have), sunshades (actually pretty cool and I use them in the hot summers), etc. etc.

Since you're here already, get ready to mod your ass away! A good start is with one or more of the following:
Euro stickers, RPI scoop, BMC filter, exhaust, M-Tech kit, wheels, coilover kit/springs, trunk and/or roof spoiler, LCI tails and Bruce's cables, front lip, and angel eye LED bulb upgrade.

Good luck on your search, it definitely is a great car!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Hi,

thermostat going bad

See the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7ptk_1jmI

Hope that helps ;-)
BINGO. He's right on point. I bought an 04 545i with some similar problems. Nothing major in regards to the motor or performance, just little things here and there that need to be replaced. Honestly the only problem that I had was a leaking transmission oil pan and a leaking vacuum pump. The 545i is an amazing car with lots of power, and plus its a V8 so it'll last you for years to come. Just get these issues out of the way and you'll be good to go. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

Per the aforementioned - the ticking nose and all the possible leaks mentioned for sure. Brake booster had to be changed on my 545, so have that whole thing and related items inspected.

Other things I had done:
1) Alternator @ 100k miles for $1200
2) o2 sensor @70k miles for $500
3) Brake booster @110k miles for 1200
4) Front struts @110k miles for 1500
5) Clutch at 130k miles for 2000
6) Control Arms (both front) for $500 each around 100k miles
7) coolant reservoir leak @ 120k miles for $300

This is just to name a few. There were many smaller things. I dont want to sway you from purchasing it. Just make sure you're not getting someone else's bad news/lemon. Take the VIN to your nearest BMW dealer and have them run the VIN (through a service advisor) and look at all the stuff that was done to the car.

Now, with that said - i drove the piss out of mine. It was my daily driver, primary vehicle for work except for in the winter. I drove it until 153k miles and sold it. I could have taken it to 300k miles easily, but not without a visit to the dealer every few months for a cost of a grand on average. Other than that, its an amazing car. I'd say I got unlucky and had more issues than normal people with the same car.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mini Cooper 2004 Acura TSX

za3879, those numbers scare me... Admittedly all normal wear items, but it's scary to look at nonetheless.

Looks like I'm looking for a 2005 545 then. Hopefully I can find a CPO since at least I wouldn't have to worry about this sort of stuff until after 100k miles.