E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Media Pack (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my LCI for a few months now, and am totally frustrated with the Satnav...don't get me wrong, I think the Connected drive stuff is excellent, the iDrive a sinch to use so I have no issues with using the system - just the logic of the routing which annoys...

When navigating/calculating desitnations, the guidance always uses the most illogical routes known to man...now I know that you shouldn't use Satnav for known destinations, but it's brilliant for ETA, traffic holdups enroute etc...

My frustrations are that whatever the route criteria settings, the thing seems to fail to acknowledge 70mph dual carriageways as being comparable to motorways when set to "motorways" or "fast Route"...it also thinks it's fine to use single lane dirt tracks when set to "fast route" and there are simple A roads which get you there quicker, which according to the manual should give priority to main roads/main thoroughfares...it simply behaves in a similar fashion whatever route criteria you put in...

Is it just my car, or is this normal for BMW Prof Satnav?? It's not even as logical as my after market Sony traffic Pro in my old A4 from 2002....or my Garmin C510T.

Incidentally - I have it setup so that it asks me before re-routing, and the DVD software is v07-02.

Anyone got any pointers??
Old 10-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Cant really help but I was in Devon last week and the satnav keep routing me down little narrow country lanes. They were that narrow that i had to drive through brambles or reverse back 2 odd miles, when getting to the end of the road i found it was putting me back onto the road it took me off and only to save a few hundred feet. It took four times as long to get down those roads as it would have have to go around them. One thing I liked about my Audi satnav was that once it had worked out the route it gave you three or four different routes you could choose before setting off. Havent found an option for this with the BMW though.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='708748' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:58 PM
Cant really help but I was in Devon last week and the satnav keep routing me down little narrow country lanes. They were that narrow that i had to drive through brambles or reverse back 2 odd miles, when getting to the end of the road i found it was putting me back onto the road it took me off and only to save a few hundred feet. It took four times as long to get down those roads as it would have have to go around them. One thing I liked about my Audi satnav was that once it had worked out the route it gave you three or four different routes you could choose before setting off. Havent found an option for this with the BMW though.
That's what happened when I went to Alton Towers...it took me down one of them dirt tracks totally un-necessarily and it was set to Fast route. It would be really good if it could give you a birdseye map and let you choose like the Lexus ones...in the meantime I'm going to start "hopping" to a point roughly in the direction I'm going in, that way it'll get me there in stages in the future...

To be honest - they say the Media pack add's value to the car come resale, but I don't think I'd bother in the future...it's not bad, but just not as good as you would expect on a premium car. I wonder if the new 3 series one is any better...????

Oh well - I suppose it comes from 2003 overall, and technology does move a bit fast...hopefully they've got it licked on the F10!!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Inbuilt SatNav is the biggest let down of my 5 and our X5, but I wouldn't stick an ugly TomTom on the windscreen ... I'd rather put up with the "scenic routes". Best experience was down a single lane dirt track which took us in to a farmers field, where he was standing waiting for cars so he could stop them, yell at them for having stupid satnavs which all took them past his house, and then laugh because he had blocked the route with a tractor so you had to turn in a big muddy field. Meh.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535d with all the trimmings

I was driving my e39 from Fishguard to Cheltenham last year, I was using a Garmin windscreen mounted nav , as you can see from the first map this is the way I planned to go (using the M4-M5), but not knowing where I was the sat nav ended up taking me on a rather long detour which took in Brecon and numerous amounts of what can only be described as off road cycle lanes!
As you can see from the second map.

Even with all the avoidances selected (minor roads, unpaved roads, U turns etc) on the Garmin it still took me way off course.
What ever sat navs have about bringing you off the beaten track I don?t know, even my e60 has done it a few times!
I?m guessing they have a thing about back roads and laneways. :thumbsdown:
I still even today carry a map, just in case!