E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Product Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Nevermind Ice, I'm not going to beat my head on this wall. It is a major problem in my car and apparetnly a lot of others. Given that have used all my cars in a similar manner and under similar conditions, only one car has a problem. That tells me that this one has some issue the others didn't have. I'm glad that this is not an issue for you. Just as the three stars are not a problem to me, but are a major problem for you, the opposite applies here. And no, I'm trying to equate a saftey issue with the smelly AC. It's a matter of perspective. I bet if your AC stunk to high hell, we'd be hearing about it on this board.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Well, lscarrol, fro me the story is the opposite. It happened on my previous car what was not a BMW and I am happy my BMW is not having it.
I really feel for everyone that has the smelly A/C and hope that BMW will clean the system and get rid of the smell.
But obviously you were lucky before and now have a problem that culd have happened in any other car too.
Talking about the stars... I don't know if it's a problem for me, that'S what'S driving me nuts...
Old 12-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Contributors

"But obviously you were lucky before..."

Sorry Iceman, that's not how the math I was taught works. In my book the four cars that didn't have the problem were not lucky, just designed to handle the humidity/condensation issue. It seems to be the one BMW that is unlucky I guess. What's the old saying: Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...
Old 12-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I disagree. I am 100% sure that on the cars you've owned before there are ppl who had the same problem. I have not yet heard of any car that has no such problem. That's why I think you where lucky with the ones you owned before. Design problems would be on more or all E60's, and then a recall would follow.
How much condensation water is coming out of your car? It's a LOt what's coming out of mine, even after I turned the engine off.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Then we will just to agree to disagree Ice. Statistically, if this a common problem to all cars, I don't get lucky on my other four cars but not my E60. That's not the way the math works. And if you throw in the pool of my friends with their cars (all non-BMW with 2 exceptions who have older models) they have all gotten "lucky" and not had this problem. I don't buy it. Go to any of the BMW boards on the internet, RF, here, Bimmerfans, etc, this seems to be a very common problem for the BMW AC systems. Next go look at the boards of other car makers. You just don't see the common thread of complaints about this like you do for BMWs. It may not be a flaw that justifies a recall, but clearly the BMW system is more likely to develop this problem.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 30 2004, 06:34 AM
Then we will just to agree to disagree Ice.? Statistically, if this a common problem to all cars, I don't get lucky on my other four cars but not my E60. That's not the way the math works. And if you throw in the pool of my friends with their cars (all non-BMW with 2 exceptions who have older models) they have all gotten "lucky" and not had this problem.? I don't buy it.? Go to any of the BMW boards on the internet, RF, here, Bimmerfans, etc, this seems to be a very common problem for the BMW AC systems. Next go look at the boards of other car makers.? You just don't see the common thread of complaints about this like you do for BMWs.? It may not be a flaw that justifies a recall, but clearly the BMW system is more likely to develop this problem.
[snapback]73726[/snapback]
IF BMW comes out with a service manual/TIF, it's well known to BMW. If it was an isolated incident they wouldn't have such a procedure in place.

They know what is wrong. They know how to fix it. It's a recurring problem. It should be their problem to fix it, at their cost.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Dec 31 2004, 08:58 AM
IF BMW comes out with a service manual/TIF, it's well known to BMW.? If it was an isolated incident they wouldn't have such a procedure in place.

They know what is wrong. They know how to fix it.? It's a recurring problem. It should be their problem to fix it, at their cost.
[snapback]74115[/snapback]
Umm no did you read the TIS? of coruse its a known problem... All cars have it, to an extent. not just BMW... and that TIS is for ALL Model ranges not just the E60. Now is it bad enough to require a recall? I dont think so... I mean if EVERY single E60 was affected that badly with a smell then maybe...
Old 12-31-2004, 09:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 31 2004, 11:05 AM
[quote name='teriyaki88' date='Dec 31 2004, 08:58 AM']IF BMW comes out with a service manual/TIF, it's well known to BMW.? If it was an isolated incident they wouldn't have such a procedure in place.

They know what is wrong. They know how to fix it.? It's a recurring problem. It should be their problem to fix it, at their cost.
[snapback]74115[/snapback]
Umm no did you read the TIS? of coruse its a known problem... All cars have it, to an extent. not just BMW... and that TIS is for ALL Model ranges not just the E60. Now is it bad enough to require a recall? I dont think so... I mean if EVERY single E60 was affected that badly with a smell then maybe...
[snapback]74142[/snapback]
[/quote]

I guess this problem is worse than I thought. If its a lingering problem, they should fix it. I've never had any problems with my Lexus, Toyota's, Hondas, etc. If this is a BMW problem then BMW should fix it at no cost. Period. Regardless if its an E60 or E9999 or whatever. If this problem existed before I purchased my car, they should have told me before I bought my car..."use our top notch A/C system BUT DON'T USE IT FOR THE LAST MINUTES OF MY DRIVE. IT WILL LIKELY CAUSE BAD ODORS."
There's something called disclosures. It's common sense. Its customer service. Its the right thing to do.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributors

I have to agree w/ teriyaki88. In my mind the smelly AC issue is no different than the squeaking doors or any other problem that persists w/ this model. I really have less of an issue w/ the problem itself than I do w/ teriyaki88's dealer telling him that he'll have to pay for any cleaning after the first one. Again, as we all know, the dealer network in general is not good w/ BMW, though there are obvious exceptions. Any system on the car that develops a problem under NORMAL use should be repaired under warranty. NORMAL use does mean having to shut off your AC 5-10 minutes before stopping the car so that any condensation can evaporate. And I'm sorry, despite other's lower expectations, if BMW can't match the performance of Ford or GM in some components of their cars, that's BMW's problem, not mine.