E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Product Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

I recently had my A/C smell removed by my dealer. THey said this was not covered under the warranty but they will correct it the first time as a courtesy. Next time it will cost me $175-200.

Now my question is this. If they is a recurring problem, shouldn't this be recalled? How does BMW decide what gets recalled and what is the responsibility of the consumer? If this is a defective product, then they should do it voluntarily.

The odor went a way two weeks ago and it is back again. It appear the problem is caused by putting my A/C in a non-ciruculating mode/Auto mode. If I don't put the A/C in to the 'fresh air mode' for 5 mins before shutting off the car, the car is likely to get mold built up in the system.

Don't get me wrong. I love this car. But the smell thing is rotten. Either they fix the problem or tell the consumer not to use the non-circulating mode. BUt if I paid for the car, everything should work.

What can we do? Who do we contact to get this to the attention of consumer action groups, put the pressure on BMW to 1) get this fixed so we don't have to remind ourselves to circulate the air 5 mins before turning off the car or 2) to have them fix the mold problem, everytime we get that stinky smell.

This doesn't sound fair.

Teriyaki
Old 12-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ok heres my take with my limited knowledge on AC systems... moldy smell on the AC is due to condensation build up in the AC system developing mold... its not a fault per say... any car will develop this depending how you use the AC and what kind of weather you are in. Some places its easier for mold to form some places less easy. It will happen in ALL types of cars to an extent.

I dont think theres anything really broken... so theres nothing really to fix... if you never took care of trying to not let condensation build up in your system it will get worse and worse overtime... this is more like a maintenance issue... its up to you the owner/user to use it in a way to "take care" of the system.

Its like rubbing your butt too hard in the seat which creats more wear and tear in your seats than the next E60 you cant have the dealer recall that and go the seats were made to sit in and its wearing out. You were a little less careful than the last person which created more wear in the seats...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 27 2004, 09:28 PM
Ok heres my take with my limited knowledge on AC systems... moldy smell on the AC is due to condensation build up in the AC system developing mold... its not a fault per say... any car will develop this depending how you use the AC and what kind of weather you are in. Some places its easier for mold to form some places less easy. It will happen in ALL types of cars to an extent.

I dont think theres anything really broken... so theres nothing really to fix... if you never took care of trying to not let condensation build up in your system it will get worse and worse overtime... this is more like a maintenance issue... its up to you the owner/user to use it in a way to "take care" of the system.

Its like rubbing your butt too hard in the seat which creats more wear and tear in your seats than the next E60 you cant have the dealer recall that and go the seats were made to sit in and its wearing out. You were a little less careful than the last person which created more wear in the seats...
[snapback]72980[/snapback]

previous poster correct...

Any car will develop mold in the AC system if you don't circulate the blower without AC about 3-5 minutes before shutting off the car. Normal maintenance item, but one they don't spend a lot of time telling you about.

Years ago when I use to work in a Mercedes shop, we use to spray household disinfectant in the intake (cowl area) with the system running. Sometimes took several appllications but took care of the problem.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545ia Euro Delivery 1/05 Black/Black Step Sport, Nav, Logic 7, Sirius, Shades

I had a similar problem w/ my 2003 X5, and my service advisor recommended that I set the heater to its highest temperature setting at fully blast for 10 minutes. I would advise that you exit the car, as this process can get toasty.
Basically, this can help kill some of the bacteria/mold that is causing the smell. Try it, it worked for me!

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Dec 27 2004, 04:25 PM
I recently had my A/C smell removed by my dealer. THey said this was not covered under the warranty but they will correct it the first time as a courtesy.? Next time it will cost me $175-200.

Now my question is this.? If they is a recurring problem, shouldn't this be recalled?? How does BMW decide what gets recalled and what is the responsibility of the consumer?? If this is a defective product, then they should do it voluntarily.

The odor went a way two weeks ago and it is back again.? It appear the problem is caused by putting my A/C in a non-ciruculating mode/Auto mode.? If I don't put the A/C in to the 'fresh air mode' for 5 mins before shutting off the car, the car is likely to get mold built up in the system.

Don't get me wrong.? I love this car.? But the smell thing is rotten.? Either they fix the problem or tell the consumer not to use the non-circulating mode.? BUt if I paid for the car, everything should work.?

What can we do?? Who do we contact to get this to the attention of consumer action groups, put the pressure on BMW to 1) get this fixed so we don't have to remind ourselves to circulate the air 5 mins before turning off the car? or 2) to have them fix the mold problem, everytime we get that stinky smell.

This doesn't sound fair.

Teriyaki
[snapback]72919[/snapback]
Old 12-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

The fresh air intake is micro-filtered. It really works. Maybe you can try that mode more often.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Another option is to ask the dealer what they did to remove the odor so you can do it at home.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

The process is comprehensive and described in TIS. If you do a search here you'll find the process most likely used by the dealer, described in a posted TIS document.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Members

interesting how i've never had this issue in any american car that i have owned
I dont expect it to start when i get my 530.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Dec 28 2004, 12:10 AM
previous poster correct...

Any car will develop mold in the AC system if you don't circulate the blower without AC about 3-5 minutes before shutting off the car.? Normal maintenance item, but one they don't spend a lot of time telling you about.

[snapback]72994[/snapback]
Sorry, I still just don't believe this. I know this has been much debated, but in the four previous cars I've owned since 1981 (RX-7, Acura Integra, Ford Explorer and GMC Yukon), I have never had this problem until I got my E60. In none of those prior cars did I have to circulate the blower without AC for 3-5 minutes before shutting off the car. I've never heard of this "tip" until the problem developed in my BMW. Now I know others have had this problem in non-BMW cars, but in my limited experience, it is a BMW issue. Hell, I drove my RX-7 for nearly 10 years, never had it. And I have lived in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge Louisiana area during this entire time, so all the cars were subjected to the same heavy use of AC most of the year, in a very high humidity environment. Again, only my BMW seems unable to handle it.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I live in South Florida the mold capital of America, my AC is never off. I have never experienced this problem in any of my previous BMW's.

Quick Reply: Product Recall