E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Product Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Dec 28 2004, 05:06 PM
The process is comprehensive and described in TIS. If you do a search here you'll find the process most likely used by the dealer, described in a posted TIS document.
[snapback]73212[/snapback]

Here
Attached Files
Old 12-29-2004, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Thanks EBMCS03. I've seen the TIS. It does describe the issue, but does not answer the question about some design/operational issue. And what about the earlier poster being told that the dealer would perform the odor removal once for free as a courtesy, but after that they would be charged! In my opinion, that is BS. If I'm going to have to bring my car at least once a year to have this done at my expense, my dealer and BMWNA will hear from me and my lawyer. In my mind its no different than the rattle that has developed in the back of my car that is being looked at next week. Should I, the owner be required to avoid "rough" streets, or BMW won't cover fixing the rattle. Why should I the driver living in a warm weather area, where it is 90+ degrees every day during the summer, have to shut off my AC for the last 5-10 minutes of my trip and sweat my ass off in my suit, just so my AC won't smell like shit?!?! BS
Old 12-29-2004, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks EBMCS03.? I've seen the TIS.? It does describe the issue, but does not answer the question about some design/operational issue.....
The TIS starts by saying: "The cause of this complaint is not a fault in the air conditioner or automatic air conditioner,
nor in the vehicle. The odour is caused by environmental influences during the air conditioner's operation period.
"

I doubt BMW will see this as a design/operational issue. I used to have this same problem in a Honda Passport (Chicago!). Fairly common, I hear.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Dec 29 2004, 07:58 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:40 AM']Thanks EBMCS03.? I've seen the TIS.? It does describe the issue, but does not answer the question about some design/operational issue.....
The TIS starts by saying: "The cause of this complaint is not a fault in the air conditioner or automatic air conditioner,
nor in the vehicle. The odour is caused by environmental influences during the air conditioner's operation period.
"

I doubt BMW will see this as a design/operational issue. I used to have this same problem in a Honda Passport (Chicago!). Fairly common, I hear.
[snapback]73366[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree, I doubt they will admit to any design issue, kind of like not admitting a design issue that earned 3 stars on its first NCAP test. My point is that every other car I've owned has faced the exact same "environmental influences during the air conditioner's operation period" and never had a problem developing mold/mildew in the system. Apparently Ford, GM, Mazda and at least in my case Honda's system had no problem with the environmental influences. Sorry, but to me, sounds like the same BS being dished out over the European crash test...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 29 2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks EBMCS03.? I've seen the TIS.? It does describe the issue, but does not answer the question about some design/operational issue.? And what about the earlier poster being told that the dealer would perform the odor removal once for free as a courtesy, but after that they would be charged!? In my opinion, that is BS.? If I'm going to have to bring my car at least once a year to have this done at my expense, my dealer and BMWNA will hear from me and my lawyer.? In my mind its no different than the rattle that has developed in the back of my car that is being looked at next week.? Should I, the owner be required to avoid "rough" streets, or BMW won't cover fixing the rattle.? Why should I the driver living in a warm weather area, where it is 90+ degrees every day during the summer, have to shut off my AC for the last 5-10 minutes of my trip and sweat my ass off in my suit, just so my AC won't smell like shit?!?! BS
[snapback]73361[/snapback]
Totally agree. I entertain clients and i shouldn't have to let them suffer in the heat so my car doesn't smell. This is ridiculous.

Teriyaki
Old 12-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

That is my 6th BMW with AC (including four 3-series and one 8-series). None of them except E60 had this smell. I have not changed my location and do not think the climate is changing so much...... So WHY??? BMW, YOU MUST TAKE CARE OF IT...NO excuses...
It's a shame...
Old 12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Fortunateley mine has no odour. It is set to auto all the time and I let the AC run even when its cold. BUT the odour IS a design issue caused by the systems inefficiency in draining the moisture or its tendency to retain it in certain crevices.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 30 2004, 03:06 AM
BUT the odour IS a design issue caused by the systems inefficiency in draining the moisture or its tendency to retain it in certain crevices.
[snapback]73609[/snapback]
Unfortunately it is NOT a design problem on this BMW A/C. It happens with every brand. It is a problem that CAN occur on every car that has an A/C.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Iceman, I have to disagree here. Pick your battles, but I have never had this happen through four different vehicles over the past 20 years, all of diffferent makes and models. They all managed to not develop the mildew issue, yet within 3 months of owning this car, it stinks to high heaven. I can't disagree with you that it doesn't happen in other makes and models, but needless to say, my experience w/ my first BMW tells me that there is something about their design that either doesn't inhibit or actually encourages the mildew growth. And I must say, driving with friends here New Orleans, I've never run across anyone else with this problem in their car. Granted the sample size is small (lack of friendss ), but the point remains, something in the functioning of my E60 AC system allows/encourages this growth that other car makes avoid. No other car I've had has had this issue.

And don't bring up the running the blower w/ the AC off for 5-10 minutes before stopping. That is not an option for those of us living in very hot environments.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I use my A/C ALL the time and don't have any problems. But I've had trouble on my previous, non BMW, car.
I know there are a lot of ppl having this problem, but not only on BMW's. And there are a lot BMW drivers never ever having any problems with it. So you can't really say it is a BWM design problem. If it is a design problem, it is one that applies to all cars.

Quick Reply: Product Recall