E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems with my 530.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

you could have dirty injectors aswell...i had a similar issue where my 545I would go from 1000rpms to 1500 rpms in a split second and then it was back to normal after the jump...i hook up my injectors through the schrader valve, disengaged my fuel pump from the fuse located in the trunk and ran it on a machine called "terraclean"..this machine cleans the entire fuel system, injectors, you name it..it does it all...after that it ran like a charm...maybe try this it couldn't hurt...
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Contributors

update to this thread:

Got the car back from the dealer and they couldnt duplicate the problem. Before i took it in i installed the the factory air filter. When doing so i noticed the clip on the front of the airbox wasn't completely snapped tight. I put the stock filter in and completely sealed up the air box. Took the car in and got the oil change done. I have had the car since last saturday and have had around 8 cold starts (car sat for 7-12 hours). I haven't had it rev or die once. The k&n filter i took out looks perfect. Still oiled and looking new. I want to say it has been in around 2-3k i dont remember when i put it in. Im going to put the filter back in and see what happens. Do you think the k&n was over oiled and messing with the MAF? Seems really odd that it just stopped. This was happening on daily basis.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Why don't you find a nice indie shop that can pull the OBD codes for you? That will likely give you an idea of where the issue was originating. It is plausible IMO that an air filter was somehow throwing MAF, although I have a BMC filter on mine (also an '06 530 - N52 engine) and so far no problems like this ever occurred.

It could have been something really small and weird - like the box being open. In either case, even if the problem is bigger than that, I'm betting it will lead to some sensors possibly needing replacement.

How many miles do you have on your car?

And BTW whether the indicator tells you or not, I certainly strongly recommend to change oil AT LEAST every 4 months/5k miles - whichever comes first. I get mine changed even more often during the summer season. In the winter I usually drive less, and a LOT less aggressively, so winters usually go by on one oil change in my car. But summers - I've changed oil on my car 3 times this year so far. And I don't think it was excessive
Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Members

I just read your thread, and it seems your problems are similar to mine (minus my surging, dying at 35mph).

They think reprogramming is the solution to mine too. I will let you know when/if I get any updates. I hope all goes well with both of our cars
Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1058145
I just read your thread, and it seems your problems are similar to mine (minus my surging, dying at 35mph).

They think reprogramming is the solution to mine too. I will let you know when/if I get any updates. I hope all goes well with both of our cars
Thank you. Please keep me updated on if you find anything out. Im glad mine doesnt die while driving. Thats odd.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1058590' date='Nov 19 2009, 03:41 PM
I saw the dealer invoice. They checked and no codes were thrown. Car started and didnt do it again this morning. Im going to leave the stock filter in during this entire tank of gas. Maybe it will happen again when my tank is around 1/4-1/8 of a tank. If it makes it all the way through this tank with no problems, im going to throw the K&N back in. If it does it again, im going to throw away the K&N.

Thank you. Please keep me updated on if you find anything out. Im glad mine doesnt die while driving. Thats odd.
Just got my car back. They did the full program, and the idle problem has become less noticable, if anything at all. Also, I got an updated i-drive and navigation interface as a result of the update, since the car has never been updated since it was in service (5/2006).

For now, I'm going to say it's fixed. Until I notice the idle surging/stalling/dying again, that is. If anything happens again I will post it here.

I would ask them to reprogram the car if your still under warranty. FYI also, I asked my SA how much this would go for out of warranty, and he said normally $260.00 flat.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Check the Emissions Warranty - In the US that extends beyond the 4yr - 50K miles and covers several items that may be related to your issues.

Otherwise CPO kicks in. I would not tinker with any of those emissions controls or your warranty protection goes out the window! The most I'd go DIY would be replace the aftermarket filter with the original factory piece. The oils (if used in excess) for K&N filter can annoy the emission system. Be sure to use the proper grade gasoline from a "good" supplier; a couple containers of Techron fuel additive in the tank might be in order if you're not sure of your gasoline supplies.

Out of curiosity how many miles on your cars before the problems surfaced? And since the problem was reported while in warranty the fact that you're outside of the factory warranty doesn't prevent you from making it a warranty claim!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1058843' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:47 PM
Check the Emissions Warranty - In the US that extends beyond the 4yr - 50K miles and covers several items that may be related to your issues.

Otherwise CPO kicks in. I would not tinker with any of those emissions controls or your warranty protection goes out the window! The most I'd go DIY would be replace the aftermarket filter with the original factory piece. The oils (if used in excess) for K&N filter can annoy the emission system. Be sure to use the proper grade gasoline from a "good" supplier; a couple containers of Techron fuel additive in the tank might be in order if you're not sure of your gasoline supplies.

Out of curiosity how many miles on your cars before the problems surfaced? And since the problem was reported while in warranty the fact that you're outside of the factory warranty doesn't prevent you from making it a warranty claim!
I do throw the stock air filter back in. I always get atleast 91 octane fuel. I typically always try to get it from Shell. Getting some Techron might be a good idea.

When the problem first started happening was around 28k. Had the car updated/reprogrammed. It some what went away for awhile but has returned. My car now has around 32,500 on it. I did have the car into the dealer multiple times for this before the 4yr expired. I do have the CPO, so im really not worried about it right now. I just hope I can figure it out ASAP. It hasnt happened yet but im still waiting to run through this tank of gas. It seemed to do it more and more when the fuel was low.

I will update this situation in a few days.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Contributors

stock air filter has been in for weeks. Gone through 1 tank of gas and into the next and have not had the surging or idle problems come back. I think the k&n was over oiled and screwed with the sensors.

Im going to put it back in today and cold start it tomorrow morning. If it happens again obviously the filter would be the problem and K&N will get a phone call.