E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems with date of production

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

HEY GUYS,

Here is my concern and my question for help.

I have ordered E60 in February 2006. Due to the strikes etc. (which I already mentioned here some time ago) delivery date was postponed until mid June 2006. Lucky for me, I heard from my dealer that my car is just around the corner and should arrive in just few days
(by the way, as replacement loaners I received in the meantime 530i, 120i, and recently 120d - which I find just superb! I made with it around 3500km with average of 5,5 L/100km!!)

But here comes my concern:
As I am purchasing this car via diplomatic sales division, and in order not to pay any VAT tax on the invoice (in Luxembourg it is 15%) before car's delivery I have to deal with rather big paperwork, but what's absolutely necessary to begin such procedure - I needed a 'chassis number' first. Dealer managed to get this number much earlier than the car itself, so I already have it and I could start my paperwork with the local Ministry of Finance. BUT, in the meantime (thanks to this wonderful source of information), I found a VIN online decoder (http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi) which is supposed to say a lot more info about your car based on the VIN number. I run my number through this decoder and... Surprise! Everything there is correct except for this tiny little element, which is... ahhm.. a date of production! The decoder shows for my car date of production: April 2005!!! (let me remind you, that car was ordered in February 2006!)

So here come few questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong?
2) Is this VIN decoder up-to-date?
3) Is 'chassis number' = VIN number?? If not, what exactly 'chassis' stands for?
4) Generally speaking: how is it possible?
5) Is there any other "solid" way to decode your chassis number to find out an exact production date?

I am so worried that already asked my dealer about this problem and he confirmed that production date of my E60 is for sure JUNE 2006 - end of story, and I will get a paper for this. However, feeling of uncertainty remains....

Will you help to resolve this feeling?
Any insight thoughts will be appreciated!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='297893' date='Jun 15 2006, 10:00 AM
HEY GUYS,

Here is my concern and my question for help.

I have ordered E60 in February 2006. Due to the strikes etc. (which I already mentioned here some time ago) delivery date was postponed until mid June 2006. Lucky for me, I heard from my dealer that my car is just around the corner and should arrive in just few days
(by the way, as replacement loaners I received in the meantime 530i, 120i, and recently 120d - which I find just superb! I made with it around 3500km with average of 5,5 L/100km!!)

But here comes my concern:
As I am purchasing this car via diplomatic sales division, and in order not to pay any VAT tax on the invoice (in Luxembourg it is 15%) before car's delivery I have to deal with rather big paperwork, but what's absolutely necessary to begin such procedure - I needed a 'chassis number' first. Dealer managed to get this number much earlier than the car itself, so I already have it and I could start my paperwork with the local Ministry of Finance. BUT, in the meantime (thanks to this wonderful source of information), I found a VIN online decoder (http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi) which is supposed to say a lot more info about your car based on the VIN number. I run my number through this decoder and... Surprise! Everything there is correct except for this tiny little element, which is... ahhm.. a date of production! The decoder shows for my car date of production: April 2005!!! (let me remind you, that car was ordered in February 2006!)

So here come few questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong?
2) Is this VIN decoder up-to-date?
3) Is 'chassis number' = VIN number?? If not, what exactly 'chassis' stands for?
4) Generally speaking: how is it possible?
5) Is there any other "solid" way to decode your chassis number to find out an exact production date?

I am so worried that already asked my dealer about this problem and he confirmed that production date of my E60 is for sure JUNE 2006 - end of story, and I will get a paper for this. However, feeling of uncertainty remains....

Will you help to resolve this feeling?
Any insight thoughts will be appreciated!!!
I ordered my 550 in February, It was produced in April, and Im awaiting delivery in June. I ordered a MY07 so I knew upfront that I wouldnt get the car till June. Whats the issue? I dont understand?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Hey, I see the problem, I believe. That vin code translator is garbage. I put my 550i code into it. It says my car is a 530xd (its not). It says my car was produced in Feb 06 (it was produced on late April 06 and its a US MY 07). Take the vin code translator and toss it. NOT ACCURATE!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by Veight' post='297908' date='Jun 15 2006, 08:18 AM
Hey, I see the problem, I believe. That vin code translator is garbage. I put my 550i code into it. It says my car is a 530xd (its not). It says my car was produced in Feb 06 (it was produced on late April 06 and its a US MY 07). Take the vin code translator and toss it. NOT ACCURATE!!!
Hmmm... I just dumped my VIN into it and got correct results (for an April05 build 530i). Sounds like maybe it is just flakey (which is worse than flat broken, in my view)...