E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems with Cruise and Heater on CWP Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

It was in the high 40s over the weekend, so I tried out my heated front seats for the first time. They are toasty warm, but isn't my Cold Weather Package steering wheel also supposed to heat? Doesn't it activate through the seat heater controls? I couldn't feel it at all. I'm going to test it again when it's cold out, but does it get really warm? I assume I could notice it.

Also, has anybody else had a problem with the cruise control stalk? You know that just pushing it forward a little bit increases the cruise control speed by 1 mph, whereas pushing it forward all the way goes up to the next-highest round increment of 5 mph. (E.g. if you're at 67, one little push forward goes to 68, one big one goes up to 70 mph.) Recently, I've noticed that my first little push forward sometimes mistakenly DROPS the speed by 1 mph, or 2 mph; and then with further small clicks it starts going up in the right direction. It acts like a little problem with the sensor at the base of the stalk or whatever. It's not a crippling problem, but it's annoying. Has anybody else seen this?

I'm thinking this might have to be my first owner-initiated service visit. I'd appreciate any experience people have with either problem.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

There's a separate button for the heated steering wheel now. It's right next to the switch for the power adjustment of steering wheel.

Can't help on the cruise control issue though . . .
Old 09-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Sep 19 2004, 03:15 PM
There's a separate button for the heated steering wheel now. It's right next to the switch for the power adjustment of steering wheel.

Can't help on the cruise control issue though . . .
Oh. Oops. I guess I could have looked that up myself. My friend says his X5 does it with the seats, so I just presumed that was the same. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

As said before, there is a button on the left side of the steering wheel, next to the power adjustment of the steering wheel.
The CC/ACC is working as you described it. Push it and the speed increases by one mph, pull it it decreases by one mph. Push it all the way it goes up to the next-highest round increment of 5 mph, pulling it all the way it goes down to the next-highest round increment of 5 mph. The only problem I've had with it so far was the user... When you take the foot of the gas and push the CC lever it might just happens as you described... But it hard to tell, since I don't have this problem... :'(
Old 09-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Contributors

I have CC problem as described. It is intermittent, but sensitive to my degree of force applied. For several thousand miles, it was reproducible and you could feel the single vs 5 mph change; now, I accidentally get the reverse. I THINK it might be because I am less careful and just hit it casually and it bounces because the lever is getting loose with time. I use it at 25, 30 35, 40 etc. because I can't do spirited driving on the military installation; so it is wearing out a little.
I also recently am setting off the turn signal accidentally more often when I just want a lane change. Then I have to push it the other way to cancel and it is sensitive there too so it signals the wrong way... I look like I don't know how to drive . I do use the turn signals for lane changes and turns whereas NOBODY else does around me. I am wearing this out too?
So, in my best opinion, these 'switches' are getting more sensitive OR I am less careful with the precision of setting the levers. I chose to go with the first reason for now. Maybe, there are others with this observation?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Sep 19 2004, 11:00 PM
I also recently am setting off the turn signal accidentally more often when I just want a lane change. Then I have to push it the other way to cancel and it is sensitive there too so it signals the wrong way... I look like I don't know how to drive? .
Aren't the turn signals on the E60 like those of the E65 where if you want to cancel you can push it again in the same direction? For example, on the E65 if you have turned on the right turn signal and now you wish to turn it off you just push it once more to the same direction (right) and it will turn off. When I was driving my friends E65 I ecountered the same problem of accidently activating the opposite side when I tried to turn off the turn signals. That is where I learned to just push the stalk one more time in the same direction and it will turn it off.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Yes, I just push to the first detent and it shuts them off.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:22 AM
Members

I have the CC problem too. My problem is more to do with dropping the speed rather than increasing it. If I pull back once to the full stop I'll drop the speed by 5mph, if I pull again in quick succession the speed will go back up by 5mph rather than down. This is particually worrying when your doing 85mph and want to drop by 10mph.

I also find a time lack with dropping the speed by 1mph increments. It's almost like the car needs to register the first change before it will accept another, and if you do it to quickly it will move the speed back up.

I plan on taking the car into the dealer on this one.

Cheers,

Malc.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Malc' date='Sep 20 2004, 03:22 AM
I have the CC problem too. My problem is more to do with dropping the speed rather than increasing it. If I pull back once to the full stop I'll drop the speed by 5mph, if I pull again in quick succession the speed will go back up by 5mph rather than down. This is particually worrying when your doing 85mph and want to drop by 10mph.

I also find a time lack with dropping the speed by 1mph increments. It's almost like the car needs to register the first change before it will accept another, and if you do it to quickly it will move the speed back up.

I plan on taking the car into the dealer on this one.

Cheers,

Malc.
Sounds like the same problem. Sometimes it works, others it goes the wrong direction.

I have tested it enough, that it is not me being careless. It definitely moves the right direction (e.g. forward for a 1 mph increase), but drops down.

I am less worried about the safety aspects of going the wrong direction, because I am paying attention and will just kill it if there's a problem; but it just results in erratic throttle action under cruise. So more annoyance than anything else.

Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Rody; Thanks re turn signal turn off. I read the manual to check because I never learned that fuction from reading the manual. I read the manual many times before geting the car and afterwards. The description never mentions to push in the same direction. It just made logical sense to push in the opposite direction to the resist point. I might call it an undocumented feature?
Anyway, it is still becoming too easy to set turn signal on when trying just to get lane change tripple.

Today, the steering wheel quit rising up to let me out and in easier. Wheel controls do work, just not entry/exit ease feature. This really needs to be fixed now. I am just putting it here to document the problem. :'( :'( :'(
I have a saying that comes to mind that I learned from someone else: 'email is forever' ; I won't explain further.

Quick Reply: Problems with Cruise and Heater on CWP Wheel?