E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have just calculated my most recent brim to brim MPG. About half of this tank was with the replaced EGR thermostat and the Intercooler hose replaced.

Before my MPG used to be 9.2 L/100KM

Now it is 8.7 L/100KM

Remember half of this wank was with the bad EGR therm. and intercooler hose torn. So I'm looking forward to the next MPG figure...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='796026' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:44 PM
OK, I have just calculated my most recent brim to brim MPG. About half of this tank was with the replaced EGR thermostat and the Intercooler hose replaced.

Before my MPG used to be 9.2 L/100KM

Now it is 8.7 L/100KM

Remember half of this wank was with the bad EGR therm. and intercooler hose torn. So I'm looking forward to the next MPG figure...
I got similar problems!

First I changed EGR thermostat and temps got up to 80 degrees C region. But my fuel consumption is also high, the worst I have gotten city driving using aux heating all the time was 12.7l /100km..

My workplace is 14km away and the motor just reaches that 80C depending how cold its outside.

I have to check out the intercooler hose. Was the hose visibly damaged or did they have to remove it first to see its damage?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ceeray' post='796130' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:44 PM
I got similar problems!

First I changed EGR thermostat and temps got up to 80 degrees C region. But my fuel consumption is also high, the worst I have gotten city driving using aux heating all the time was 12.7l /100km..

My workplace is 14km away and the motor just reaches that 80C depending how cold its outside.

I have to check out the intercooler hose. Was the hose visibly damaged or did they have to remove it first to see its damage?
Don't know about the hose. The mechanics just said they had replaced it.

Remember your engine SHOULD be able to make 90C, however it can take some time. Do you have the shutters behind your grill?
Also 12.7 does sound possible when only city driving is involved with aux heater on. Mine also goes onver 10L/100km if just doing short trips in the city.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Members

Just replaced the EGR thermostat. .. easy. And I could blow air right through it. The new one was close so the old one was clearly defective. Engine temp are now improving from 62-67 C to 78-80 C. But still not normal engine temperature. Maybe both thermostats are broken?

I`ll try to replace the other thermostat tomorrow. Looks more difficult. And probably all the coolant will be drained when replacing it.

Any tips on how change the main thermostat ? And how much coolant are needed to fill up the system ? Can I use normal "blue" coolant for winter use in cold climate ?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='796137' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:48 AM
Don't know about the hose. The mechanics just said they had replaced it.

Remember your engine SHOULD be able to make 90C, however it can take some time. Do you have the shutters behind your grill?
Also 12.7 does sound possible when only city driving is involved with aux heater on. Mine also goes onver 10L/100km if just doing short trips in the city.

Nope , no blind shutters. M-sport versions seem to be delivered without it. I am thinking about retrofitting them, but a piece of cardboard makes a quick substitute..

I just changed all filters and oils in hope of increased mileage.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E61530DAT' post='796156' date='Feb 18 2009, 11:17 PM
Just replaced the EGR thermostat. .. easy. And I could blow air right through it. The new one was close so the old one was clearly defective. Engine temp are now improving from 62-67 C to 78-80 C. But still not normal engine temperature. Maybe both thermostats are broken?

I`ll try to replace the other thermostat tomorrow. Looks more difficult. And probably all the coolant will be drained when replacing it.

Any tips on how change the main thermostat ? And how much coolant are needed to fill up the system ? Can I use normal "blue" coolant for winter use in cold climate ?
My dealer replaced my main themost. few weeks ago. They said it was not as easy as you'd think. They mentioned a two houre job (!?).

Remember the symptoms of a defective themostat; high temps when stationary, dropping temps when moving due to radiator. So if you main radiator is defective you should notice these symptoms. Also if the main radiator were to be broken I would say that even reaching 80C is impossible. After all, my main them was replaced and with the leaking EGR them. it would not go beyond 68C or so. Since the throughput of a main them. is much higher that the EGR them. you would def not reach 80C IMHO.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Members

mini me

Thanks for bringing this problem to our attention, I checked my engine temps this afternoon and found it wouldn't get any hotter than 72C and would soon fall below 70C when not working hard.

Took the ERG thermostat off and sure enough I could blow straight through it, so will order a new one first thing in the morning.

I'm hoping when replaced my fuel consumption will improve as I had put down the increase in fuel down to the cold weather but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Members

soon the EGR thermostats will be in backorder...
Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Members

I already have changed EGR thermostat but not much help so far.. Today tested more:
When engine cold->uses more fuel and heats up the motor up to 79-81 region.
If DPF cleaning kicks in temps rise to 85C, when its complete the temps start to go down fast.
And when the engine thinks its warm->consumption drops greatly (maybe because autotranny is not slipping so much anymore because its warm..)
And the temps will go down again. Idling temp 73C and slow driving 76C...

No grill flaps but I think the temps should still go higher. I think its time to change the main thermostat. The new EGR thermostat has been there for 2 months and it should not be failing already...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

After reading this thread, I did a check. Thanks to the one that worked out the OBD hidden menu. I intend to drive off with the temperature showing every time.

Anyway, drove aout 75mph (autocruise) on the motorway and the temperature was showing 91c. I guess thats good. No EGR issues to contend with. Just to you all know, the fuel comsumption still stinks for the 535d. In town all I get is roughly 21mpg. Motorway its 38mpg. I doubt what BMW claims is realistic.

Great thread this. When engine temperature works below norm, I know what to do. Thanks guys.

cheers

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.