E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem during retrofit of Navi Prof

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just ha a retrofit of Nav.Prof on my BMW545, bought in September last year. Everything seems to works just fine. It took the dealer half a day to fix it...
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Hi mille,
Where are you from?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

Half a day. That sound good. Hope my dealer will fix it that fast.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Members

The time it takes for the retrofit depends among other things on your current version of the software. If you have a pretty recent version it might take just a few hour. However, if you an old version the upgrade might take up to 12 h. The installation of the hardware is not a big deal as long as it is "in good condition". There are also various issues regarding compatability between different pieces of equipment.

The conclusion is that the whole procedure might take from half a day up to several days. I think you should expect a few days. I have not heard anyone who got his/her car back within a day, except for the case above.

Please be aware, almost anything can happen during the software upgrade. My impression is that BMW at the moment do not have everything under control, to say the least.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Members

I live in Stockholm, Sweden.
The upgraded Nav Professional still works fine. But I found two "bugs" introduced when I got the upgrade. One is that the CD player does not stop if I switch it of. It just mutes but continues to "play". The other thing that happened is that only one of the two buttons on the steering wheel now is programmable. When I had the system with Nav Business, both were programable. I spoke to the dealer who said that I have sw 11.1 and that they expect verion 12 end of June. Perhaps this will fix those bugs.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Don't count on getting the steering wheel button back. On Nav Pro cars, one of them is dedicated to repeating the last nav voice instruction. It would be nice if BMW gave us a choice for the buttons and since it would only be a software change, I suppose it's possible. That said, I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to do that!

As far as the radio mute/pause issue. Just a hunch but I'll bet that will be fixed with ver 12.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Members

I have to same problem with my radio(CD). It will not turn off, only mute. This is bad when there is a song that you like and someone calls and you. I mute the CD and by the time the call is done so is the song I took it too the dealer and showed him what it says in the manual but, after taking my car for a day. I still have a mute instead of an off button. I hope that V12 will fit this and the "accept" on the IDrive that we must do each time we turn the car on

And lets not forget voice activation <_<
Old 05-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can thank us Americans for the "accept" screen! I doubt they'll remove that with software upgrades.

The mute feature is clearly broken and shouldn't be hard to fix (since it used to work in older software and it's not a complex issue).

As far as voice activation, maybe there's a hangup with the German version because it works pretty well for me (and others) right now with some flavor of version 11.

Hope they work everything out for you soon!
Old 05-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Members

I got a bit confused reading thru the threads

Does the retro-fitting of Nav Prof come with the inclusion of Voice Commands ?

(I currently have the Bus Nav w/o the Voice option)
Old 05-29-2004, 10:43 PM
Members

Here in Sweden the retrofit-kit includes all the hardware for voice-control but if you did not ordered it in advance it will not be activated. The activation seems to be part of the basic codes of your car. This code has to be sent from BMW in Germany and is unique for each car and is not included in other software upgrades. The basic code of my car was accidentally erased during the retrofit. They ordered new codes from Germany. After installation the voice control worked but since a couple of other devices did not, they found out that BMW Germany had sent the wrong codes. After the correct code was installed everything worked, except for the voice control. Consequently, it is a question of software activation. According to my service technician it might be possible to upgrade in the future. However, he was not sure. Maybe they have to rewrite the basic codes of your car to get it to work. At the moment, the only language is German. In fact, if you order a new car today it can be prepared for other languages than German but no one can tell when it will be delivered.

You will probably find that both the available languages and the voice control question will differ between markets.

Quick Reply: Problem during retrofit of Navi Prof