E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Premium Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Znod' post='237031
Cause its part of the Premium Sound Package.

Americans love packages so BMW NA bunches things up into packages. You can get them a la cart in the rest of the world. Sucks for some of us who don't need the CD changer.
Saying that Americans love packages [implicitly] more that other nationalities does not really get to the heart of the matter, IMO. I think that BMW just knows that if it offers Americans something very important (e.g., L7) that is obtainable only in a package (i.e., with the changer), then we will tend to buy the package to get the important thing and, consequently, that the company will make more money. I think that BMW is taking advantage of the knowledge that we will pay more to get what we want even if we have to buy some things we don't want. Perhaps European's are less willing to be taken advantage of in this fashion and, thus, BMW offers more abiltity to unpackage.

I think that offering a package, where a discount is implied, it a good idea and is good for customer relations. But, making important things available only in packages is not good for customer relations, IMO.
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying. My main point here is that for a number of people that own ipods, the CD and a CD changer for that matter has gone the way of the 8 track. If they want to offer a package with the Illogic 7 they should match it up with there new HD radio they will be offering or the SIRIUS.

This option is a dilemma for me. I don't know how to go on the radio.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I agree that different options for different types would be great. I have an iPod, but haven't bothered to get AUX fixed so that I can use it. Generally, I still like CD's better. No offense, but I just don't think the quality available from MP3's and ACC's is not high enough. I know many think it is, but the difference is large to me.

On the radio, I, being an affluent and easily taken advantage of American , would get the L7 and bear the buden of having to also buy the changer. Then, I'd at least have the best sound system for MP3's, AAC's, and SIRIUS. The options to this strategy would be inferior sound or doing an after-market sound system--alternatives which I would not be interested in pursuing.

Oh, and my car is silver gray/gray. I love the almost "one-color" look, and the grays are perfectly matched IMO.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

The CD changer in the trunk or glovebox is dumbd to me. Why they they follow Audi and put it within the head unit??? Stupid
Old 02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='237048' date='Feb 8 2006, 09:13 PM
I agree that different options for different types would be great. I have an iPod, but haven't bothered to get AUX fixed so that I can use it. Generally, I still like CD's better. No offense, but I just don't think the quality available from MP3's and ACC's is not high enough. I know many think it is, but the difference is large to me.

On the radio, I, being an affluent and easily taken advantage of American , would get the L7 and bear the buden of having to also buy the changer. Then, I'd at least have the best sound system for MP3's, AAC's, and SIRIUS. The options to this strategy would be inferior sound or doing an after-market sound system--alternatives which I would not be interested in pursuing.

Oh, and my car is silver gray/gray. I love the almost "one-color" look, and the grays are perfectly matched IMO.
On the color side. I know I want the gray interior. My wife has an '03 325xi and i convinced her to order that color interior. She had to have silverstone blue on the exterior and the color was only available on the 5 series that year. We paid $2000 to have the custom color done.

I am torn between a dark color like the Monaco Blue with the constant cleaning, or the Silver Gray which looks nice but I was curious about the Gray/Gray. I want the darker Anthracite wood. That I know would look good with the gray interior but I cant find one car in my dealers lot with that wood to see it.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I have anthracite, and I can only say that you are right in thinking that it should look good. You could start a new thread asking if anyone has gallery photos of a gray interior with anthracite.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='236867
Saying that Americans love packages [implicitly] more that other nationalities does not really get to the heart of the matter,
he does have a point. in my market (bulgaria) they only offer the cold weather and sports packages... nothing else
Old 02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 700700' post='237064
Americans love packages so BMW NA bunches things up into packages.
but not as much as they love V8s
[/quote]

Exactly why I just had to have the 550i. I went to the dealer this past Saturday with my wife to simpley decide on paint color for my upcoming 330 order. The second I opened the hood of the 550 in their showroom and saw the BMW V-8 I almost crapped my pants.

The dealer know I have been looking at the 330 for months and came rushing over to give me the keys to test the 550.

It happened so fast my wife didn't know what was happening. I fell in love all over again (with the V8) and she was standing right there.

I sold the move up to the 5 series idea to her by explaining there was more room in the back seats.

She gave me no hassle for adding $15 K to the price of my purchase.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='237069' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:24 AM
Exactly why I just had to have the 550i. I went to the dealer this past Saturday with my wife to simpley decide on paint color for my upcoming 330 order. The second I opened the hood of the 550 in their showroom and saw the BMW V-8 I almost crapped my pants.

The dealer know I have been looking at the 330 for months and came rushing over to give me the keys to test the 550.

It happened so fast my wife didn't know what was happening. I fell in love all over again (with the V8) and she was standing right there.

I sold the move up to the 5 series idea to her by explaining there was more room in the back seats.

She gave me no hassle for adding $15 K to the price of my purchase.
i definitely need to get a wife like yours ... my girlfriend always moans about my choice of cars... hated the 530d, loved the m3, hated the s500, loved the 745li
Old 02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 700700' post='237064' date='Feb 8 2006, 09:18 PM
he does have a point. in my market (bulgaria) they only offer the cold weather and sports packages... nothing else
I agreed with the idea that we buy packages, but not because we like them particularly. We buy them either because we like the whole package or because it is the only way to get something we badly want. So, suppose that I do not want the changer. I'd still might buy premium sound to get the better sound system even though I am paying some amount for something I don't want--the changer. What I am saying still holds even if both items are discounted because they form a package.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='237031
Cause its part of the Premium Sound Package.

Americans love packages so BMW NA bunches things up into packages. You can get them a la cart in the rest of the world. Sucks for some of us who don't need the CD changer.
Saying that Americans love packages [implicitly] more that other nationalities does not really get to the heart of the matter, IMO. I think that BMW just knows that if it offers Americans something very important (e.g., L7) that is obtainable only in a package (i.e., with the changer), then we will tend to buy the package to get the important thing and, consequently, that the company will make more money. I think that BMW is taking advantage of the knowledge that we will pay more to get what we want even if we have to buy some things we don't want. Perhaps European's are less willing to be taken advantage of in this fashion and, thus, BMW offers more abiltity to unpackage.

I think that offering a package, where a discount is implied, it a good idea and is good for customer relations. But, making important things available only in packages is not good for customer relations, IMO.
[/quote]

Exactlly... its a money scam. But I use it now since I have it. I migh have other wise have skipped it if I wasnt forced to get it. L7 wasnt an option. It was MUST in my book so had to do it.

NOW if I had Mp3 I wouldnt care for the CD changer but since I dont I'm happy its there.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='237077' date='Feb 8 2006, 06:36 PM
I agreed with the idea that we buy packages, but not because we like them particularly. We buy them either because we like the whole package or because it is the only way to get something we badly want. So, suppose that I do not want the changer. I'd still might buy premium sound to get the better sound system even though I am paying some amount for something I don't want--the changer. What I am saying still holds even if both items are discounted because they form a package.

I would like to be able to get any of the options as a stand alone and they can package them for a cheaper price I dont mind.

IE. L7 for $1400 and Changer for $700 if bought stand alone... some people might want one and not the other...

MINI offeres that... anything can be ordered as a stand along... packages just makes things cheaper...

Quick Reply: Premium Sound