E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre & Post LCI 530d Sport First Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530D Sport Auto plus bits.

I picked up my new 530d Sport (LCI) yesterday and thought I would share some of my immediate thoughts as to the key differences compared to my previous '05 530d Sport.
Both cars are, for comparison purposes automatics with media pack fitted. The two main differences appear to be from the new gearbox and changes to the steering.

For the better, the new fly by wire auto box is light years ahead of the previous one. I had a big problem with transmission slam and delays when pulling away from a rolling stop in the old model. Numerous software updates still couldn't cure the problem so I ended up flicking it into Sport mode and lightly depressing the accelerator to spool up the engine in anticipation of the 'launch'. Well all I can say with the new model is that there is not even the remotest hint of any lag or hesitation when pulling away from scratch or from a rolling stop. However I did get caught out the other way. At a particularly troublesome roundabout where I was forever being hung out to dry in the middle of oncoming traffic with the problems of the old box, I decided to stick it into Sports mode for the first time. So I'm there foot on the brake and see the gap. Based on the technique from the old car I start to load the gas and instantaneously I'm charging across the roundabout .... WOW. In Sports mode there is no dead spot on the gas pedal and the application of power and drive is immediate. Big thumbs up to BMW for sorting that one out.

On the other side, someone commented that the LCI used a lighter oil on the power steering. I can confirm that the steering is much lighter in the LCI. I had an E39 Sport which had a stiffer steering which I really liked. My '05 E60 was noticeably lighter than the E39 and the LCI E60 is lighter again.

The iDrive system has removed the force feedback and gone to a version similar to that fitted to the non-Pro Nav cars. On face value a backward step but in real world useability it's much more tactile and crisp. The colous of the UI have changed with a slicker 'brushed metal' effect on the intro screen and the CD screen. The map colours have also changed too.

Hopefully this gives some insight into the real world effect of the changes and I will post more information as things come to light.

Oh and yes, there is no HGSL on mine either. Watch the space for the outcome of that discussion .....

Fatlab
Old 04-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='409305
On the other side, someone commented that the LCI used a lighter oil on the power steering. I can confirm that the steering is much lighter in the LCI. I had an E39 Sport which had a stiffer steering which I really liked. My '05 E60 was noticeably lighter than the E39 and the LCI E60 is lighter again.
Remember those of us with active steering don't necessarily understand what the "issues" may have been.

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='409305' date='Apr 1 2007, 09:33 AM
The colous of the UI have changed with a slicker 'brushed metal' effect on the intro screen and the CD screen. The map colours have also changed too.
For those who are not aware, a Progman 25 upgrade gives this UI on legacy systems.

ABC
Old 04-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='409311' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:01 AM
Remember those of us with active steering don't necessarily understand what the "issues" may have been.

ABC
I don't believe I referred to any 'issues'. I am merely making a statement as someone on my third 530d Sport that the steering is getting a lot lighter.

Fatlab
Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='409325' date='Apr 1 2007, 11:12 AM
I don't believe I referred to any 'issues'. I am merely making a statement as someone on my third 530d Sport that the steering is getting a lot lighter.
Lighter than something that wasn't previously an "issue".

Fair enough.

BTW light steering per se may could be regarded as an "issue" in itself.

ABC
Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='409325' date='Apr 1 2007, 06:12 AM

Fatlab
Too bad. I was also disappointed with the lighter steering of the E60 compared to the E39, and was hoping the LCI would revert to something closer to the old feel. So now I can only hope that I'll disagree with your analysis in a month when I pick up my 550!!

And btw, I have active steering on my current E60 and reordered it for my new LCI.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 535d Sport. Black Dakota leather, Media and visibility pack with adaptive Xenons. Hi-fi, servotronic, grad tint screen etc etc

Fatlab,

Congratulations on the new car. Would be good to put it next top mine for comparison shots etc. I'm also in Warwick. I've got the servotronic steering on mine and it's very light at parking speeds but better once rolling. I imagine that you'll get used to it in time

Cheers
Matt
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MattO' post='409368' date='Apr 1 2007, 03:40 PM
Fatlab,

Congratulations on the new car. Would be good to put it next top mine for comparison shots etc. I'm also in Warwick. I've got the servotronic steering on mine and it's very light at parking speeds but better once rolling. I imagine that you'll get used to it in time

Cheers
Matt
Can do, did you get it from Nick Whale BMW (formerly Damon Hill by any chance?

Also couple of other nice differences noticed during this afternoon's drive to the restaurant;

Boot (trunk) release.
You can't pop the boot from the remote unless you have unlocked a door. I thought the remote was shagged until I popped the drivers door (first press of unlock button) then pressed the boot release and it sprung open. Having been one of those careless suckers who has locked a key in the boot before (mate's car, him and other key on holiday in Turkey!) I'm really pleased at this feature.

Cruise Control Indicator.
Bug on the outside of speedo is now an LED which shows green when cruise is active and in control. Knock cruise off by the stalk or brake and the bug stays where it is but turns red as a reminder of the remembered speed. Hit resume and it goes green as the cruise takes you back to said speed. Hit stalk to off a second time and the led extinguishes and returns to zero.

USB Interface
Can't get system to recognise iPod with standard Apple USB cable. Looks like I'll be spending on the official BMW one.

Fatlab
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Members

[quote name='Fatlab' date='Apr 1 2007, 10:14 AM' post='409389']
USB Interface
Can't get system to recognise iPod with standard Apple USB cable. Looks like I'll be spending on the official BMW one.

Isn't the USB/Ipod lead suposed to be included in the price, I know cars are coming through withouit them at present, but sure I saw a post showing the lead was included?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Fatlab' post='409389' date='Apr 1 2007, 05:14 PM
Boot (trunk) release.
You can't pop the boot from the remote unless you have unlocked a door. I thought the remote was shagged until I popped the drivers door (first press of unlock button) then pressed the boot release and it sprung open. Having been one of those careless suckers who has locked a key in the boot before (mate's car, him and other key on holiday in Turkey!) I'm really pleased at this feature.

Fatlab
This was already a feature of the pre-LCI. My May 2006 does the same.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 535d Sport. Black Dakota leather, Media and visibility pack with adaptive Xenons. Hi-fi, servotronic, grad tint screen etc etc

Fatlab,

I didn't get mine from Nick Whales, although I have bought an M5 and an M3 from them in the past. They have a CB 535d in at the moment and I was tempted by it. Still, I found a slightly better spec'd car elsewhere.

Glad you're liking the LCI. I just need to get Nick Whales to sort out a steering clunk that I have and update the cars software. Then I'll be happy

Cheers
Matt

Quick Reply: Pre & Post LCI 530d Sport First Thoughts