E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turboawd
first off, the e60 cars dont use ATF. you should only use pentosin chf 11s.
that part shoudlnt be that difficult. each end on the cooler is just a quick connect fitting, where you squeeze two tabs and pull off the hoses. i've pulled off one of the lines before to help flush out my fluid.
you'll just need a catch pan to contain the fluid.

Thank you Turboawd.

The reason I ask about the difficulty is because the dealer and also an independent garage wants to charge me 4 hours labor so I assume that is what the book says so I also assumed it was a difficult job.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by skipper
Thank you Turboawd.

The reason I ask about the difficulty is because the dealer and also an independent garage wants to charge me 4 hours labor so I assume that is what the book says so I also assumed it was a difficult job.
disconnecting the lines is easy, but i'm not sure if you have to remove the bumper to get the cooler out, or just take out the lower shield for the radiator. if removing the bumper is necessary, then i could see the 4 hour charge.

i'd still take the lower panel off and inspect the lines. its possible one of the hose ends/connector is leaking and the fluid is flowing along the cooler line to the front of the cooler/radiator.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
disconnecting the lines is easy, but i'm not sure if you have to remove the bumper to get the cooler out, or just take out the lower shield for the radiator. if removing the bumper is necessary, then i could see the 4 hour charge.

i'd still take the lower panel off and inspect the lines. its possible one of the hose ends/connector is leaking and the fluid is flowing along the cooler line to the front of the cooler/radiator.
Thanks for the advice. When I put it up on jacks and fill the system with Pentosin, turn the engine on, I can see it leaking from the stainless/aluminum tubing in the middle. It is quite odd since I never hit anything, it is just leaking from the middle of the tubing and down through the black plastic lower shield.