E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 530i. Recently I lost power steering. I found that there is a small stainless steel or aluminum tubing that you can see by looking in through the front of the grill. It runs along the front and very close to the bottom of the radiator horizontally. I can see the ATF fluid leaking out and if I fill the system back up it works fine for about 1 day until all of the fluid leaks out.

I have attached a diagram of what RealOEM shows of the system.

Does anyone know what part this is and how much it should cost and how easily it is changed?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mike

Power Steering Leak-195.png
Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

which part # ?

jack up the front and take off the dust shield and you'll get a lot better idea of what's leaking and how involved it'd be.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by skipper
I have a 2004 530i. Recently I lost power steering. I found that there is a small stainless steel or aluminum tubing that you can see by looking in through the front of the grill. It runs along the front and very close to the bottom of the radiator horizontally. I can see the ATF fluid leaking out and if I fill the system back up it works fine for about 1 day until all of the fluid leaks out.

I have attached a diagram of what RealOEM shows of the system.

Does anyone know what part this is and how much it should cost and how easily it is changed?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mike

Attachment 114866
If its the high pressure hose http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/2.../4544/19395607
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
which part # ?

jack up the front and take off the dust shield and you'll get a lot better idea of what's leaking and how involved it'd be.
I know exactly what is leaking. I just don't know what it is called. It is the stainless or aluminum tubing that runs horizontally along the front and bottom of the radiator. You can see it by looking in the front grill and looking down to the bottom of the radiator. I just don't know what hose that is called.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Twinair

It doesn't really look like either of those. It is long, straight and all stainless or aluminum.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

it might be the power steering cooler.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

it might be the power steering cooler.

You might be right. All I can see though is that one pipe. The cooler is a series of pipes. I guess I will just have to follow it a little more closely. I am sure that it is related to the cooler, just wasn't sure if it was actually one of the pipes attached to the cooler.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

You might be right. All I can see though is that one pipe. The cooler is a series of pipes. I guess I will just have to follow it a little more closely. I am sure that it is related to the cooler, just wasn't sure if it was actually one of the pipes attached to the cooler.

Thanks,

Mike
on realoem, click on the radiator link.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

on realoem, click on the radiator link.

Thanks, it looks like #1 but I can only see the bottom pipe. I know it leaks ATF (power steering) fluid, so I am assuming that it is exactly this part. Thank you for the info.

Has anyone changed this before? How difficult is it? I know if I go to the dealer they will charge me a fortune.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, it looks like #1 but I can only see the bottom pipe. I know it leaks ATF (power steering) fluid, so I am assuming that it is exactly this part. Thank you for the info.

Has anyone changed this before? How difficult is it? I know if I go to the dealer they will charge me a fortune.

Thanks again,

Mike
first off, the e60 cars dont use ATF. you should only use pentosin chf 11s.
that part shoudlnt be that difficult. each end on the cooler is just a quick connect fitting, where you squeeze two tabs and pull off the hoses. i've pulled off one of the lines before to help flush out my fluid.
you'll just need a catch pan to contain the fluid.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak