E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well. After close to 3 year ownership got my first scary message. Yesterday on the way to work iDrive popped up with a message saying Power Steering Failure and to stop driving immediately.

Well drove it to the nearby dealer and they said it was just "low on power steering fluid" Filled it up in 40 mins and said it should be ok. They didnt even write it up...

I'm hoping it was really just low on fluid and its nothing mechanical...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='480512' date='Oct 11 2007, 10:51 PM
Well. After close to 3 year ownership got my first scary message. Yesterday on the way to work iDrive popped up with a message saying Power Steering Failure and to stop driving immediately.

Well drove it to the nearby dealer and they said it was just "low on power steering fluid" Filled it up in 40 mins and said it should be ok. They didnt even write it up...

I've been having the same message pop up recently. I called the dealer and they told me the same thing. It's kinda like why do they even have these scary messages if the dealer blindly tells you not to worry about it anyway? Kinda like a car alarm. Whenever one goes off, everybody assumes it's a false alarm.

Another scary message that apparently isn't a big deal is the flat tire message. It flat out (no pun intended) says you have a flat tire, pull over immediately, yada yada yada. But it's just one of your tires whose air has gone lower than the last time you set your flat tire monitor. Why don't these messages just say what they really are instead of putting the fear of God in you? Maybe it's the BMW legal department and a little CYA.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='480512' date='Oct 11 2007, 07:51 PM

hmmm, I'd check to see if you have fluid leaking under the car...did the dealer say how low the PS fluid was? Shouldn't be using any ps fliuid