E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power loss in Manual 6 speed 530i

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone! I just learned something new. I guess I'm not double-clutching. The links were very helpful as well.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I don't double-clutch when driving a manual and don't see the need for it. I can use the clutch so smooth you can't notice it. I've never heard of driving schools teaching this, nor about a drivers training where they do it.
So I guess it's one of those things you can do, but don't need to do.
It depends on you. Try it and find out what's the best (most comfortable) way for you!
It's just like the heel-toe and the double foot technique on an automatic or smg (left foot brake, right foot gas), or the engine brake-in... Brake-in is not needed but it's better to do it because of the learning transmission, etc...

Find out what's the best way for you to do it!
It's not wrong, nor wright, it's personal preference.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Black Sapphire/Black, Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Premium Package, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport AT, Navigation, Power Sun Shade, PDC, Satellite Radio, iPod. Ordered: 6/22/2008; Born 7/1/2008; Delivered 8/5/2008

I been noticing that my 530 SMG is having the same problems as dwightb explained. Anyone else with the same problems?

I really notice it when going from 2nd to 3rd gear, but I?ve noticed it more subtly in other gears shifts as well. Right around 4000rpm the engine seems to lose power for a flash then continues with no problems.

I?m wondering if this could be a software or mechanical issue. The software version in my car is probably 15.0-15.2.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 9 2004, 04:12 AM
I don't double-clutch when driving a manual and don't see the need for it. I can use the clutch so smooth you can't notice it. I've never heard of driving schools teaching this, nor about a drivers training where they do it.
So I guess it's one of those things you can do, but don't need to do.
It depends on you. Try it and find out what's the best (most comfortable) way for you!
It's just like the heel-toe and the double foot technique on an automatic or smg (left foot brake, right foot gas), or the engine brake-in... Brake-in is not needed but it's better to do it because of the learning transmission, etc...

Find out what's the best way for you to do it!
It's not wrong, nor wright, it's personal preference.
[snapback]32285[/snapback]
I agree, 80% of my down shifts now are as smooth as silk with rev matches. I don't always double clutch. Its the throttle blip that is important.

Since the transmission is a manual, I really don't know that this problem is computer related. I don't think the loss of power as described has anytthing to do with the clutch either. It doesn't sound like suebmw's problem which I think is a case of screwed up and mis aligned synchromesh rings. Since dwightb makes no mention of attempting changing gears this to be an engine issue where it just seems to fail under load.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Actually loss in power during accelerationg between Rev ranges can very well be computer related... I'm noticing a lot of similiar effects between MINI and BMW. MINI is BMW made so its not completly out of the question. MINIs have this similiar problem described as the yo-yo effect where when you accelerate modertly to hard it surges and loses power between 2K and 3K RPMs...

Read here. Post #18 page 2.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56409

The yo-yo is a rythmic hesitation in the MCS when accelerating through the 2500-3500 rpm band. Some of the '03 MCSs were affected and it seems that a fair number '04 MCSs have the yo-yo to some degree or another. Whille present, it does appear that most '04 MCS yo-yos are on the mild side. However, in a performance car like the MCS, it does detract from its drivability (IMHO).

Some '03 MCSs had a violent yo-yo which "bucked" the occupants back and forth, hence the phrase "yo-yo". My '04 was built on 9/22/03 and has a medium to mild yo-yo. Another MCS owner who took delivery this month has also felt a mild yo-yo. Will your MCS have it? It may...

Word from a MINIUSA inside contact is to expect a Version 38 upgrade to start being available at the end of April. I would expect the same timeframe would apply to all countries. It is rumored that v.38 contains rewritten (pronounce "rewritten" as "D-E-B-U-G-G-E-D") code by Siemens, specifically the routines that interact with the throttle body sensor to dampen/eliminate the supercharger bypass valve oscillation.

If the distribution of v.38 is anything like v.36, the Factory/Vehicle Preparation Centers will have access to v.38 well before dealers. If this holds true, you may be one of the first folks to get a v.38 MCS and, thus, be yo-yo free! Time will tell.

Please note:
Both "Ryephixes" described in my post below are, essentially, "bandaids" and are merely mechanical efforts to eliminate the bypass valve oscillation caused by the problematic ECU software. Again, v.38 is purported to have an updated (corrected) version of the code.

Check out "The Yo-Yo Chronicles" on the North American Motoring website. Wade through the 17 pages of information and you will most certainly become an expert on the yo-yo!

The Yo-Yo Chronicles
Old 04-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Black Sapphire/Black, Bamboo Anthracite wood trim, Premium Package, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport AT, Navigation, Power Sun Shade, PDC, Satellite Radio, iPod. Ordered: 6/22/2008; Born 7/1/2008; Delivered 8/5/2008

Does anyone have any updates on this issue? I'm taking in my car this week to have this looked at and would appreciate any help.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Members

I have a 2004 530i 6sp that has the same problem. I've ignored it for some time, but plan to take it in to the dealer soon to get it the problem addressed. Let me know if you were able to determine the cause of the problem
Old 07-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

this "dip" in power is well known with the E46 crowd. It affects some E46s and E60s with the M54 engine paired with manual transmission.

Service Measure
Engine Electrical B12 209 05 04/06/2005
Subject
M54B30 MS45.1; Engine Power Drops at 4000 RPM

Vehicle
E46, E60 with M54B30 and manual transmission.

Complaint
Customer may complain of an engine power drop at approximately 4000 rpm during aggressive acceleration.

Cause
Ignition timing retardation due to unfavorable tolerances of DISA valve flap shaft. Vibrations of a DISA valve are interpreted by the knock sensor system as detonation combustion.

Measure
On a customer complaint basis, replace DISA valve with the improved part (PN 11 61 7 544 805).
After DISA replacement, connect vehicle to DIS/GT1 and from DME identification page retrieve the programmed and basic DME part numbers.
Reprogram DME with the latest available DTS CD! SSS CIP software version. DME programming should last for at least 20 minutes and should result in both programmed and basic control unit number changes. Reprogramming of DME clears the long-term knock sensors adaptations. If the knock adaptation values are not cleared, the vehicle will still exhibit the power lack complaint, even with the improved DISA valve installed.

Important:
In the event the DME programming takes only a short period of time (approximately 5 minutes), and the basic control unit part number has not been changed, the adaptation clearing process has not been accomplished.

In such a case, contact Technical Hotline ? Drive train via a PuMA case, requesting authorization for DME shipment to Engineering Department for reprogramming. For the PuMA case title use the following: MS45.1 DME KNOCK ADAPTATION RESET?.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Sep 8 2004, 11:55 PM
Isn't this the same engine used throughout the BMW line?
[snapback]32109[/snapback]
Yes, all BMW engines are the same thru the line. For example the 3.0 litre sixinline engine can be found in the 1-, 3-, 5-, 6-, 7-, X3-and X5-series.

But for some reason all the American engines have less HP than the European engines.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Members

Thanks for the service measure post.

My car has been at the dealer for three days now for this problem. I got a call from service today saying the DME didn't reprogram properly and they would get back to me tomorrow.

If they have to send it to Engineering for reprogramming, how long would that take? Does anyone have experience in this?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Power loss in Manual 6 speed 530i