E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

potential owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all !

I have been reading these forums for a while, and really enjoyed myself here !
I am a sworn car-nut, and always had a special love for bmw`s.
I have owned three, a 525i e34 (192 bhp), a 320i e36 and a 316i touring e46.
All good, but I miss the dark green 320 i everyday

Anyway, I`m considering getting a new car come 2009, and tested an e60 523iA today.
I currently drive a diesel car (volvo) which is good, but I`ve always loved the sound and feel of those bmw petrol sixes...

The car was great ! Not very fast from standstill, but when pushed it went very well. Refined and sounding wonderful when kicked down

So, a few questions to you experienced guys..

- Is it normal with a slight "delay" when you push the accelerator from standstill. (autobox)
Heard about this with dieselcars, but this is a petrol....

- Do you recommend getting the adaptive headlights ?

- If I decide to shop, I will be getting the M-package for sure. What do you think about the combination spacegrey/natural brown ?

Thanks in advance !

B
Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Members

There is nothing like a Bmw I-6!

There is a slight delay when you hit the accelerator pedal unfortunatly. I know it sucks but there is something called Sprintbooster that fixes that pedal delay. It doesnt bother me as much because i have a MT.

Adaptive headlights. Yes.

Space Gray and Natural Brown are good to me!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by papabear' post='735597' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:29 PM
Hello all !

I have been reading these forums for a while, and really enjoyed myself here !
I am a sworn car-nut, and always had a special love for bmw`s.
I have owned three, a 525i e34 (192 bhp), a 320i e36 and a 316i touring e46.
All good, but I miss the dark green 320 i everyday

Anyway, I`m considering getting a new car come 2009, and tested an e60 523iA today.
I currently drive a diesel car (volvo) which is good, but I`ve always loved the sound and feel of those bmw petrol sixes...

The car was great ! Not very fast from standstill, but when pushed it went very well. Refined and sounding wonderful when kicked down

So, a few questions to you experienced guys..

- Is it normal with a slight "delay" when you push the accelerator from standstill. (autobox)
Heard about this with dieselcars, but this is a petrol....

- Do you recommend getting the adaptive headlights ?

- If I decide to shop, I will be getting the M-package for sure. What do you think about the combination spacegrey/natural brown ?

Thanks in advance !

B
Hi, from reading this forum, I guess there's supposed to be a slight delay, but I honestly don't feel it. If you plan on getting auto tranny, I would search this and other forums for transmission slam, delay, or lurch, and look out for those during your test drive.

I don't have adaptive lights and I've never had them in 30+ years of driving. I usually buy my cars Cpo'd and I would not go out of my way to find one equipped with them. I guess I would take them if they came with the car, but frankly, I don't know that I would want another thing that might potentially break down, down the line.

Spacegrey/natural brown would work.

From your comment about the 320i, I deduce that you enjoy driving small cars with super tight cornering capabilities. If that's the case, you should also consider test driving the E90 or even the 1 series. The E60 cars handle superbly, but they are still big cars and can't compare to the smaller BMWs for handling. The E60 seem much smoother and more comfortable than its smaller siblings.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='735628' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi, from reading this forum, I guess there's supposed to be a slight delay, but I honestly don't feel it. If you plan on getting auto tranny, I would search this and other forums for transmission slam, delay, or lurch, and look out for those during your test drive.

I don't have adaptive lights and I've never had them in 30+ years of driving. I usually buy my cars Cpo'd and I would not go out of my way to find one equipped with them. I guess I would take them if they came with the car, but frankly, I don't know that I would want another thing that might potentially break down, down the line.

Spacegrey/natural brown would work.

From your comment about the 320i, I deduce that you enjoy driving small cars with super tight cornering capabilities. If that's the case, you should also consider test driving the E90 or even the 1 series. The E60 cars handle superbly, but they are still big cars and can't compare to the smaller BMWs for handling. The E60 seem much smoother and more comfortable than its smaller siblings.

Thanks for your replies !

Sprintbooster sounds like a plan if I decide to shop !

Good point "porsche911targa", it should be interesting to see how all the gadgets in modern cars are doing in a few years time

I might try the e90, but have somehow fallen in love with the e60. And I have two boys who needs some space in the back
But true, the 320i was razorsharp on winding norwegian roads. It was a beautiful car ! It had to go because my girlfriend at the time refused to drive it in the winter...
Another thing, should I get the navi ? Do you guys actually use it a lot ???

B
Old 12-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by papabear' post='735709' date='Dec 2 2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks for your replies !

Another thing, should I get the navi ? Do you guys actually use it a lot ???
Just got a TomTom One XL-S, refurbished from Buy.com for less than $150.00 vs. the extra $1500-2000 for built-in navi. Would the built-in navi look cool? Hell, yes. Is it worth the extra money (to me)? Hell, no! With the TomTom you get to join the map-sharing community and it gets constantly updated for free for the first 12 months, while with the navi you need to get updated DVDs that cost about the same as a fully loaded TomTom. It also seems that most problems with Idrives happen with navi units, but to each his own. The decision is entirely up to you. I'll admit, though, that the display is kinda boring without the navi. There's nothing really interesting to display except maybe the radio stations. I don't understand why BMW could not put up a screen with at least the outside temperature and a compass.

I like to mount my Tomtom to the little area on the left-lower corner of the windshield where I can take a quick glance without taking my eyes off the road. I can also take the TomTom on trips where I'll be renting a car, instead of driving my own.

The E60 definitely has more room in the back for the kids, that's for sure. Have fun finding the right car for you and don't forget to post pictures.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by papabear' post='735597
Hi, from reading this forum, I guess there's supposed to be a slight delay, but I honestly don't feel it.
[/quote]
Same for me, I also don't feel it. Using the auto tranny in D/S ("Manual") mode certainly helps remove any 'thinking time' the auto tranny might need. Biggest improvement using manual mode is when you want to overtake. I find it's a lot quicker to start your overtaking move with the torque you've got in your current gear than letting the gearbox downshift. Maybe with less torque available from a smaller engine it would be best to downshift.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

1 get a Sprint Booster
2 adaptive HL yes
for me i always like a black interior good luck with your decision
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

You can also reset the transmission regularly with the "25 Second Reset Trick"!! It's like a new car every time! Good Luck with your decision!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Alpine White on Black interior, Sport and Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Mtec V2.1 angel eyes,Hoen Fog Lights, Full M-Tech kit, ACS pedals, LED plate lights, CF Steering Wheel badge, CF Titanium trim, OE

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='735956' date='Dec 2 2008, 10:16 AM
You can also reset the transmission regularly with the "25 Second Reset Trick"!! It's like a new car every time! Good Luck with your decision!

how do you do the 25sec trick??
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='735956' date='Dec 2 2008, 01:16 PM

Quick Reply: potential owner