E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Possible fuel pump failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ok update from the SA. It's not the HPFP but rather the main transfer pump inside the fuel tank. It's the one on the passenger side that transfers fuel to the engine. They quoted me something around $900.00. I think I'll go collect my car and install myself. Anyone know of any DIY?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Tony, I've replaced Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter on my 530i as well as one other member.

Check this site for price of new fuel pump -
Original BMW parts and accessories, low prices, next day delivery.
New pump for my car is $238.

In order to replace the fuel pump (located on the passenger side), you will need to open filter side as well because the fuel pump harness is connected to the filter. You will need to disconnect the electrical connector and the fuel line on the filter side first.

Disconnect the battery negative cable,
Pull up the rear seat and remove,
Remove the screws on both of the access plates (both fuel filter as well as the pump)
Disconnect the electrical connector on the fuel pump cover,
Depressurize the fuel system either at the valve on fuel rail or put a rag on the fuel supply hose located on top of the fuel filter cap. Disconnect the fuel supply line on the filter.
Use collar ring removal tool (or a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer :-) and remove the collar ring on both filter as well as pump.

If there is more than 1/4 tank of gas, remove. You can do the job even with more gas but you just have to be careful not to splash the gas as you do the work.
Both pump and filter are spring-loaded and they will pop up when you remove the collar ring.

Next, lift up the filter, on the bottom you will see the electrical connector, disconnect it,
disconnect the fuel hoses. Essentially, the stuff you are disconnecting are actually coming from the fuel pump side over the hump in the tank.

After you disconnect the stuff on the filter side, go to the pump side and carefully pull up the pump. Along with the pump, the whole harness will come out.

New pump comes with the sender unit (assembled as one unit).
Carefully inset the harness in to the pump side and via the hump in the tank to the other side (filter side),
Push down on the pump and install a new o-ring, and the collar ring, don't tighten anything yet,
Reconnect the electrical connector and fuel hoses on the filter side.
After double-checking all the connectors to make sure they are fully snug, push down on the filter and put new o-ring and install collar ring on the filter,
tighten both collar nuts,
Reconnect the fuel line on the filter side,
Reconnect the electrical connector on the pump side,
Reconnect the negative cable on the battery,
If you removed all the gas, pour some gas in the tank,
Insert the key in ignition and turn to position-2, don't start,
listen for pump priming,
after few seconds, start.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:06 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Look at Post #13 and 44 in this thread -
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-117658/page2/
Old 11-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by pcy
Look at Post #13 and 44 in this thread -
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-117658/page2/
Damn PCY I new you would come through! Dealer wants four hours I believe. I'll check prices and see where best one is. My mech friend will probably do it for around 100 and then I don't have to get any gas on my hands. Damn I hate that! I haven't seen the repair order and if they will list the part number. The SA told me it's the one that sends fuel to the eng and not the other pump that send fuel over the saddle. I'm thinking it's the punp on the passenger side.

I was supposed to be in NH. This week but instead will be there next week. I hope you guys don't get any snow!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:39 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Tony, if your friend will replace pump/filter for $100, I'd say go ahead and let him do it.

Replacement of pump/filter is not hard; however, as you said, having to work with gas as well as removing that collar rings can be little tricky. Techs have a tool for removing that collar ring. With that tool, it's 30 seconds job; same thing may take more than 15 minutes (for each collar nut) with screw driver and a hammer and the ring nut (teeth on the ring nut) may be damaged.

Temps in MA/NH area expected to turn much colder within the next 24 hours. Not much snow is expected around here, just the temps will go down by 20 to 30 degrees within the next 24 hours.

When are you moving to China?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Tony, per our conversation, here are the pictures. First picture is the pump, second picture is the fuel filter, and the third picture is the end of the harness [that is coming from the pump] connects to the fuel filter. Those 3 need to be disconnected on the filter.
Attached Thumbnails Possible fuel pump failure-dsc02217_resized.jpg   Possible fuel pump failure-dsc02167_resized.jpg   Possible fuel pump failure-dsc02220_resized.jpg  
Old 11-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
Tony, if your friend will replace pump/filter for $100, I'd say go ahead and let him do it.

Replacement of pump/filter is not hard; however, as you said, having to work with gas as well as removing that collar rings can be little tricky. Techs have a tool for removing that collar ring. With that tool, it's 30 seconds job; same thing may take more than 15 minutes (for each collar nut) with screw driver and a hammer and the ring nut (teeth on the ring nut) may be damaged.

Temps in MA/NH area expected to turn much colder within the next 24 hours. Not much snow is expected around here, just the temps will go down by 20 to 30 degrees within the next 24 hours.

When are you moving to China?
Thanks for the info. I ordered the pump yesterday and it should arrive today. Plan is to install it on Monday. But I did decide I'm not messing with this one. I'm running out of time and with just too much to do. China comes soon too. I will move over around the end of Dec since officially belong to them on 1 Jan.