E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sport
Default Fuel pump issues

Hey I have a 2009 535i with 69K on it and I've been having a lot of issues with my fuel pump. I've already searched a bit but I haven't seen the problems I'm having. About two weeks ago I got a fault in idrive saying that the fuel pump was faulty along with the car shutting off. It was shutting off and wouldn't turn back on for about 15-20 mins and then it would start back up. Now I already had the hpfp changed in January of this year already @ a dealership along with the injectors and a few other things. I took car back to the same dealership two weeks ago when it initially cut off on me and they diagnosed it as a faulty sending unit and also the car needed to be serviced as well. The sending unit was replaced and after I picked the car up same happened again. So I brought it back and this time it was diagnosed as a faulty ekp (control unit) and dirty fuel filter. I picked the car up on Wednesday evening and Thursday the car shut off again. But this time wouldn't turn back on, so I had it towed to my house. It turns on but if I hit the accelerator to take off it'll shut off. Has anyone else had this problem and hopefully a real solution as opposed to the dealership throwing parts instead of getting to the root of the problem?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you had all the work done at the dealership and they diagnosed it and supposedly fixed it then I would take it back to them and first request my money back for misdiagnosing it and have them fix it. They will give you your money back and when they finally fix the problem they will charge you a "good faith warranty" price. They should also put you in a free loaner until it get fixed. Do not beat your head on this issue the BMW dealership is fixing the issue. Let them figure it out and demand a refund for what you have spent already. I was in this situation with the dealership when I was abroad and my wife was driving the car. They misdiagnosed my issue when I told them it was the starter. Once they fixed it "supposedly" it didnt work the next day. They not only refunded my money. They put my wife in a loaner while they figured it out for 3 days and gave me the "good faith warranty" price. In all it only cost me $180 for the fix. Do not let them bully you. It is your money you are spending and you expect the problem to be fixed the first time you bring it in period.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 08-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535xi

Just tossing my experience in. Had the same issue (car died after driving a bit) changed out the EKP and fuel filter. It's been golden since (Just took a 400 mile trip with no issue). The old EKP was burning hot if you felt it after the car would die. The new one (got a used one not brand new) is warm but not nearly as hot.

I agree that the dealership should make it right but if you get in a bad spot you can get a cheap EKP and test that (easy to access and switch out)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

OK, when this happened to me it was the low level fuel sensor.

Symptoms: car was find at normal/freeway speed but stalled from stop to go, scary situation on left turn crossing oncoming traffic.

I checked with BT tools, sure enough it indicated problem with fuel pressure, BUT you need to read into, it most likely says the pressure range is way off beyond the possible max. That tells me the sensor is bad not the pump (how a pump can put more pressure than what it's design for).

Not too tough to do, it's next to HPFP at the intake manifold.
BTW this is common on all N54 engine so 335i and 535i, notably on 3-series cause more of them on the roads.
Also a lot have been misdiagnosed as bad pumps.

But make sure you get the code read, it could be something else.
GL
Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by biggreeneguy
Just tossing my experience in. Had the same issue (car died after driving a bit) changed out the EKP and fuel filter. It's been golden since (Just took a 400 mile trip with no issue). The old EKP was burning hot if you felt it after the car would die. The new one (got a used one not brand new) is warm but not nearly as hot.

I agree that the dealership should make it right but if you get in a bad spot you can get a cheap EKP and test that (easy to access and switch out)
The ekp and fuel filter was changed and after that it made the problem even worse this time. Now the car won't even run for a few days before the problem came back. Now it shuts off after just a few minutes of running.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2
OK, when this happened to me it was the low level fuel sensor.

Symptoms: car was find at normal/freeway speed but stalled from stop to go, scary situation on left turn crossing oncoming traffic.

I checked with BT tools, sure enough it indicated problem with fuel pressure, BUT you need to read into, it most likely says the pressure range is way off beyond the possible max. That tells me the sensor is bad not the pump (how a pump can put more pressure than what it's design for).

Not too tough to do, it's next to HPFP at the intake manifold.
BTW this is common on all N54 engine so 335i and 535i, notably on 3-series cause more of them on the roads.
Also a lot have been misdiagnosed as bad pumps.

But make sure you get the code read, it could be something else.
GL
Thank you and I'll mention that when I take it back to the dealer. I was looking for someone that may have experienced the same thing before I proceeded any further.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 AM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Part #7 in the picture
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

If your car has not been de-carnbonize(dealer usually charge $400 to walnut blast the intake ports), I'd say do it and replacing the sensor will take no more than 10-minute.
Though my dealer still charge me an-hour labor plus decarbonizing, oh well.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by HPIA4v2
Part #7 in the picture
RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

If your car has not been de-carnbonize(dealer usually charge $400 to walnut blast the intake ports), I'd say do it and replacing the sensor will take no more than 10-minute.
Though my dealer still charge me an-hour labor plus decarbonizing, oh well.
I also had the walnut blasting done in January of this year.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 e90 330i

Originally Posted by akaveli3
Hey I have a 2009 535i with 69K on it and I've been having a lot of issues with my fuel pump. I've already searched a bit but I haven't seen the problems I'm having. About two weeks ago I got a fault in idrive saying that the fuel pump was faulty along with the car shutting off. It was shutting off and wouldn't turn back on for about 15-20 mins and then it would start back up. Now I already had the hpfp changed in January of this year already @ a dealership along with the injectors and a few other things. I took car back to the same dealership two weeks ago when it initially cut off on me and they diagnosed it as a faulty sending unit and also the car needed to be serviced as well. The sending unit was replaced and after I picked the car up same happened again. So I brought it back and this time it was diagnosed as a faulty ekp (control unit) and dirty fuel filter. I picked the car up on Wednesday evening and Thursday the car shut off again. But this time wouldn't turn back on, so I had it towed to my house. It turns on but if I hit the accelerator to take off it'll shut off. Has anyone else had this problem and hopefully a real solution as opposed to the dealership throwing parts instead of getting to the root of the problem?

Please tell me how you fixed this problem I have the same problem and can't fix it
Old 01-12-2021, 07:42 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2008 535XI

Originally Posted by akaveli3

Hi, I have the exact same issue and I replaced the HPFP along with the high & low fuel sensors. That did not fix the issue. Did you ever get this fixed? Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues