E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Throttle Response with 17.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

When I want "jump out and scream" performance off the line, I will always be in DS mode. There's no hesitation there, I can assure you. In regular D-mode I notice a hesitation as well (delivery early June so I assume my software is probably 17.1).
Old 07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, mark545 ! i used to have the same problem but after updated to 16.2, the problem has gone. many members are having problems with 17.1. if i were you, i would drive with ds mode for now. wait until your dealer has 18.x, if they haven't gotten it yet, and have them upgrade it for you.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

I have the same 'lazy acceleration' problem since the last upgrade to 16.2

Just tonight I had problem keeping up with my neighbor's 2.5ton+ Suburban!!! But this lazy acceleration is not consistent. Some times it runs fine.

The car doesn't stumble but just slow in accelerating. My 1.8litre turbo VW runs / feels faster.

I took it in to the dealer.... they tried to upgarde software but reported back nothing to upgrade because dmu says nothing to upgrade for 17.0

I figure I'll wait until cip 18 or 19 if this lazy acceleration doesn't go away, I'll trade it in for a Benz SLK 55 AMG
Old 07-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Steptronic, Dark Blue, 18" wheels, Car Phone, Sports Seats, Active Xeons, Professional Navigation, Logic 7, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive Cruise Cotrol, Rear Blind, Ski Compartment, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Window Blinds....

Originally Posted by Mark545' date='Jul 22 2005, 05:05 PM
I have a 2004 545i with steptronic that was recently upgraded to 17.1. I have no idea what CIP it was on before. Problem is that since the 'upgrade' I have noticed that on acceleration from a stop the car hesitates for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds before anything happens....and overall acceleration is somewhat poor....

My major frustartion is that I have only recently changed from the previous generation 540i (also steptronic) which was awesome on acceleartion in comparison.

Since the upgarde I also notice that using the telephone via i-Drive is ceratinly a lot slower too...

PS. Just been introduced to the forum so this may have been covered somwhere... I did try a search and found some info, but nothing specific.
[snapback]151897[/snapback]
Old 07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Steptronic, Dark Blue, 18" wheels, Car Phone, Sports Seats, Active Xeons, Professional Navigation, Logic 7, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive Cruise Cotrol, Rear Blind, Ski Compartment, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Window Blinds....

Originally Posted by Angel eyes' date='Jul 22 2005, 07:24 PM
Hi Mark and welcome!

My experience is the same in my 525i. My last car (525i E39) was much more alert and aggressive than the E60. Sometimes it is hard to get the steptronic to downshift and if I press the throttle enough to downshift these times it downshifts 2 or 3 steps so the car flies away, no smoothness.
[snapback]151929[/snapback]

Now that you metion it, this another of my frustrations. I have often (already) found that in traffic you have to give the car lots of throttle to get the box to kick down one gear and accelerate and often you either have too much or too little i.e it doesn't kick down or it drops 2 to 3 gears. In many respects I regret selling my 540i!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 23 2005, 01:46 AM
welcome aboard, mark545 !? i used to have the same problem but after updated to 16.2, the problem has gone.? many members are having problems with 17.1.? if i were you, i would drive with ds mode for now.? wait until your dealer has 18.x, if they haven't gotten it yet, and have them upgrade it for you.
[snapback]152071[/snapback]

Thanks for the welcome.. ..After spending the kind of money we have I should not have to 'hope' that BMW will fix the problem in the next release of software (and then go through the pain of having the car in the garage for a week because they have done such a shocking job of building an interface to get the software downloaded!!!)

It is time we took BMW to task for this poor quality!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Mark545' date='Jul 22 2005, 05:05 PM
I have a 2004 545i with steptronic that was recently upgraded to 17.1. I have no idea what CIP it was on before. Problem is that since the 'upgrade' I have noticed that on acceleration from a stop the car hesitates for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds before anything happens....and overall acceleration is somewhat poor....

My major frustartion is that I have only recently changed from the previous generation 540i (also steptronic) which was awesome on acceleartion in comparison.

Since the upgarde I also notice that using the telephone via i-Drive is ceratinly a lot slower too...

PS. Just been introduced to the forum so this may have been covered somwhere... I did try a search and found some info, but nothing specific.
Thanks for all the input thus far. It seems that we are all happy to sit back and wait for BMW to pull their socks up and fix their quality problems.... Should we really accept that they will release another version that will 'fix' the problem, wait a week for them to install it because that process is also broken and try again.... BWM should be answering to this shocking quality problem.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545A Dynamic Drive Pkg (Active Steering; Active Stabilization) Sport Pkg, Premium Sound, CD Changer, Rain sensor wipers, Red Rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Mark545' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:23 AM
[quote name='Mark545' date='Jul 22 2005, 05:05 PM']I have a 2004 545i with steptronic that was recently upgraded to 17.1. I have no idea what CIP it was on before. Problem is that since the 'upgrade' I have noticed that on acceleration from a stop the car hesitates for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds before anything happens....and overall acceleration is somewhat poor....

Thanks for all the input thus far. It seems that we are all happy to sit back and wait for BMW to pull their socks up and fix their quality problems.... Should we really accept that they will release another version that will 'fix' the problem, wait a week for them to install it because that process is also broken and try again.... BWM should be answering to this shocking quality problem.
[snapback]152715[/snapback]
[/quote]

I started to use Sunoco 94octane gas and it seems to me the throttle response is much better now even..on hot and humid days. I used to use Petro Can's 91octane gas on all my cars. I was told PetroCan has the cleanest gas in Canada.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by yogibear458' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:47 PM
[quote name='Mark545' date='Jul 25 2005, 01:23 AM'][quote name='Mark545' date='Jul 22 2005, 05:05 PM']I have a 2004 545i with steptronic that was recently upgraded to 17.1. I have no idea what CIP it was on before. Problem is that since the 'upgrade' I have noticed that on acceleration from a stop the car hesitates for 0.5 to 1.0 seconds before anything happens....and overall acceleration is somewhat poor....

[snapback]152715[/snapback]
[/quote]

I started to use Sunoco 94octane gas and it seems to me the throttle response is much better now even..on hot and humid days. I used to use Petro Can's 91octane gas on all my cars. I was told PetroCan has the cleanest gas in Canada.
[snapback]152823[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately in South Africa we have 95 octane inland (98 at the coast) or nothing so I can't do much about the fuel although I suspect this is more than a fuel problem.....
Old 07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Jul 22 2005, 10:18 PM
Are you really stomping on it when this happens?? Could it be DSC/DTC holding you back?? If so, try disabling it and see if the lag goes away.
[snapback]151979[/snapback]
No, even when I give it say quarter throttle the car hesitates for about half to a full second and then starts to go... mighty dangerous when you are trying to zip across an intersection....

If I stomp it hard and DSC kicks in thing just get worse.... If I hold the brake and accelerate a little to 'load' the motor/gearbox and then let go the brake, it accelerates perfectly... If I am driving at 60kmh and accelerate to apss a car, it hesitates, thinks about changing down and then finally does and takes off like a bullet...faster than you really intended.... so frustrating.....

Quick Reply: Poor Throttle Response with 17.1