E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

poor sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='313944' date='Jul 22 2006, 12:01 PM
hi all

Im new im from South Africa and hope to learn lots from this forum about my car

Just a Quick Question i dont have the pro 7 logic sound system , instead the basic one that comes with the car , but it has very bad clearity when the volume is loud it crackels and becomes distorted is it just a problem with my car or is it across the range
I have L7 in my e60 and it sounds just fine. I have standard audio in my e39, which I did not like much until I improved it considerably with one of these sub-woofers:

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/basslin...es/basslink.htm

You could probably figure out how to install one in an e60 if you can find an audio wiring diagram. It was not at all hard for me to install it for the e39. Otherwise, visit a local car audio shop and see if they will do it for you. Be aware that the prices for the Basslink are all over the place, so be sure to shop for the lowest you can find.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Hi ,
you are from which part of SA?
i did my upgrade in durban
Old 07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

It distorts when the CD is playing would my motorplan cover the costs or is this problem not included in the motor plan
Old 07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

Hey vishwen im from joborg about 600 km away from durbs why did you do your conversion here anyway
Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Geno' post='313952' date='Jul 22 2006, 01:24 PM
(Btw, has anyone else had a problem with a whistling, buzzing background distortion at high volumes when using the new Aux socket connected at line level with an iPod?)

This noise is called Alternator Noise. It is basically ground loop noise which bleeds into the system. You will probably notice that the noise gets louder and higher pitched as you apply throttle to the engine. It is the hallmark of a poorly grounded stereo system. In the case of the AUX input, the noise is coming from the cigaratte adapter power. You can confirm this by running your iPod without power, and you'll see the noise goes away.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Originally Posted by stevepow' post='314368' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:21 AM
Wow - Logic7 in my '07 550i is probably the best car audio system in any car I have owned and I prefer it to the Mark Levinson in our GX470. Killer sound to me and no distortion at all - as long as you stay off those horrible digitally beaten down SIRIUS stations.
I agree with this sentiment. Also, not all the Sirius stations are as badly compressed as the rock stations. The symphony and jazz channels are actually pretty good.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='314568' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:55 PM
This noise is called Alternator Noise. It is basically ground loop noise which bleeds into the system. You will probably notice that the noise gets louder and higher pitched as you apply throttle to the engine. It is the hallmark of a poorly grounded stereo system. In the case of the AUX input, the noise is coming from the cigaratte adapter power. You can confirm this by running your iPod without power, and you'll see the noise goes away.
Hey subterFUSE, I'm having the same problem, but not with the AUX input, it's my headlights. Whenever I turn on my headlights I get a buzzing in my rear speakers. I did have an aftermarket system put in, but there was no noise for the first 6 months. I took my car to the place where I had the stereo installed and they went over every connection and said that nothing was wrong, everything was grounded correctly. This leads me to believe something is not right with my headlights. I took it to the dealer and of course their answer to everything is "it's your stereo" but it was fine for the longest time and now it's not, what's the deal?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

It's noise that is bleeding into the stereo from the electrical system. Headlights are a particularly heavy current draw, if you have Xenons. German cars are known for shitty electrical systems.... so it's no surprise there are problems like this.

Honestly.... the people that would have to fix it would be the stereo shop. But the truth of the matter is... they won't be able to fix it if they have tried already. This is most likely a problem which is just over their heads. You have to remember.... car stereo installers are typically burn-outs who maybe finished a couple years of high school.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Members

the sound in my 1997 323 is so much beter than my 5 and it is also standard speakers wierd
Old 07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='315399' date='Jul 26 2006, 11:55 AM
It's noise that is bleeding into the stereo from the electrical system. Headlights are a particularly heavy current draw, if you have Xenons. German cars are known for shitty electrical systems.... so it's no surprise there are problems like this.
Honestly.... the people that would have to fix it would be the stereo shop. But the truth of the matter is... they won't be able to fix it if they have tried already. This is most likely a problem which is just over their heads. You have to remember.... car stereo installers are typically burn-outs who maybe finished a couple years of high school.
So I basically have to deal with it then? Or is there something that can be done? I really don't understand how it started though, there was no noise for 6 months and then there was. What would explain this?

Quick Reply: poor sound system