E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

poor sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

hi all

Im new im from South Africa and hope to learn lots from this forum about my car

Just a Quick Question i dont have the pro 7 logic sound system , instead the basic one that comes with the car , but it has very bad clearity when the volume is loud it crackels and becomes distorted is it just a problem with my car or is it across the range
Old 07-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

Many recent threads on this subject (a search on my moniker brings up a few). There seems to be a vague but general consensus that BMW audio underperforms at all price points. If it's any consolation, the Logic7 doesn't sound great either and is apparently harder to upgrade with aftermarket replacement speakers.

My Logic7 system distorts too, but primarily when playing the radio. I'm thinking it's the sharkfin.

(Btw, has anyone else had a problem with a whistling, buzzing background distortion at high volumes when using the new Aux socket connected at line level with an iPod?)
Old 07-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 523i silver, black leather , sunroof , bluetooth , pdc , M sports kit , Steptronic gear box , active stearing , active cruise control

yeah but when you paying lots of money for a exclusive car you would expect better sound
Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Geno' post='313952' date='Jul 22 2006, 10:24 AM
Many recent threads on this subject (a search on my moniker brings up a few). There seems to be a vague but general consensus that BMW audio underperforms at all price points. If it's any consolation, the Logic7 doesn't sound great either and is apparently harder to upgrade with aftermarket replacement speakers.

My Logic7 system distorts too, but primarily when playing the radio. I'm thinking it's the sharkfin.

(Btw, has anyone else had a problem with a whistling, buzzing background distortion at high volumes when using the new Aux socket connected at line level with an iPod?)
I'm not sure I agree, I've seen over the last year and a half that there is a small hard core of posters unhappy with BMW audio who consistently post on audio threads. I suspect however that for most owners, most of the time, BMW audio, particularly premium audio, is just fine. I'm generally happy with it. Many of the threads are also of the "i'm glad I didnt get Logic 7" or "is anyone else perfectly happy with the standard audio" variety - well, the fact half of those posts get created in the first place says otherwise....
Old 07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Members

whats the Cold Weather Pack option we do not get that option here in SA
Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='313962' date='Jul 22 2006, 11:12 AM
whats the Cold Weather Pack option we do not get that option here in SA
In the US the CWP comprises the heated wheel, heated front seats and headlamp washers. Probably not strictly necessary here in most of California ( ) but certainly nice to have!
Old 07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Members

Yeah it would be a waste to have that option here aswell temps dont even get under 3C in winter
Old 07-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport SMG Jet Black / Black Nasca Leather / Anthracite Maple Trim / Anthracite Head Liner Front Ventilated Comfort Seats / Heated Rear Seats / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Side Airbag / Rear and Rear-Side Window Shade Navigation / HUD / Night Vision / Active Cruise / Active Steering / Comfort Access / Cold Weather Sirius / HD Radio / Logic 7 Premium Sound / Aux In 3M Clear Bra Full Front Ordered: April 10 2006 Picked up: June 10 2006

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='313944' date='Jul 22 2006, 01:01 PM
hi all

Just a Quick Question i dont have the pro 7 logic sound system , instead the basic one that comes with the car , but it has very bad clearity when the volume is loud it crackels and becomes distorted is it just a problem with my car or is it across the range
Wow - Logic7 in my '07 550i is probably the best car audio system in any car I have owned and I prefer it to the Mark Levinson in our GX470. Killer sound to me and no distortion at all - as long as you stay off those horrible digitally beaten down SIRIUS stations.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Monaco Blue/Auburn/Poplar/6MT/Prem Pkg/Sport Pkg/Prem Sound/Act Steering/Nav/Comf Seats/ Folding Rear Seat/HUD

Originally Posted by stevepow' post='314368' date='Jul 24 2006, 12:21 AM
Wow - Logic7 in my '07 550i is probably the best car audio system in any car I have owned ....
Luvin' my Logic 7 as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cliffysa' post='313944' date='Jul 22 2006, 06:01 PM
hi all

The basic sound system is pretty weak in terms of sound quality, but mine doesn't distort.

Is your distortion from the radio / cd - or from an ipod connection.

If it's only the ipod, then try adjusting the 'volume' of your mp3's to 89 db with 'mp3 gain'.

If it distorts on the radio or cd - go back to the dealer and complain.

Quick Reply: poor sound system