E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Can u rest your head comfortably on your non comfort seat head rest?
YES
25.53%
NO
74.47%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Poor Head Rest Design

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Dont know about u guys, but I can never rest my head comfortably on the head rest (non comfort seat). That tilting function on the head rest is as good as none cuz not matter how u tilt it, my head can hardly touch it

It is just me?

Bunbun.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributors

I have Sport seats and no problems yet.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Are you sure you are doing it right?
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Oct 16 2004, 10:44 AM
Are you sure you are doing it right?
[snapback]45511[/snapback]
Funny Flowerfred, but at least Im not the only one haha.

Bunbun.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Bunbun,

I'd agree with you that the standard headrest design is poor on the E60. The problem is that it is the base that pivots, not the top, so it is nigh on impossible to place the headrest in a position where you can rest your head on it unless you have the seat backrest almost vertical. I've also found that the base swivells backwards away from your head if you put only moderate pressure on it. This is the very reason that many people wanted to switch out the standard head rest for the comfort seat version which has an adjustable collar support. Unfortunately this cannot be done due to the different sized poles used to support the headrest on each type of seat. I ordered the comfort seat headrest only to find it wouldn't fit. Having said that I think the adjustable collar may not even have been sufficient to do the support job. On the comfort seat you can tilt the top half of the back rest forward and this places the head rest much closer to you to start with.

If anyone from BMW reads this board please replace the poor headrest in the E60 with those from the E46 or E39 which are much better and can be angled to support your head. I can't believe a whole heap of money would be added to the purchase cost of the car if you did this.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Oct 16 2004, 11:20 AM
Bunbun,

I'd agree with you that the standard headrest design is poor on the E60. The problem is that it is the base that pivots, not the top, so it is nigh on impossible to place the headrest in a position where you can rest your head on it unless you have the seat backrest almost vertical. I've also found that the base swivells backwards away from your head if you put only moderate pressure on it. This is the very reason that many people wanted to switch out the standard head rest for the comfort seat version which has an adjustable colour support. Unfortunately this cannot be done due to the different sized poles used to support the headrest on each type of seat. I ordered the comfort seat headrest only to find it wouldn't fit. Having said that I think the adjustable collar may not even have been sufficient to do the support job. On the comfort seat you can tilt the top half of the back rest forward and this places the head rest much closer to you to start with.

If anyone from BMW reads this board please replace the poor headrest in the E60 with those from the E46 or E39 which are much better and can be angled to support your head. I can't believe a whole heap of money would be added to the purchase cost of the car if you did this.
[snapback]45528[/snapback]
Thank god ISUK, I thought I was the only one. I agree with u 100% I even asked my local dealer if I could order a driver side comfort seat but they said it cant be retrofitted

Bunbun
Old 10-16-2004, 09:41 AM
Members

I asked the dealer about retrofitting comfort seats, got quoted 2600 pounds per seat!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Just a thought but has anyone tried to fit an E46 or E39 headrest onto an E60 seat? If they fit it would be cheaper to buy a set and have them retrimmed to match the leather in our cars.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Thats a good idea, i used to have a E46 and it had much better headrests.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

very uncomfortable. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Quick Reply: Poor Head Rest Design