E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor fuel economy and some errors

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E61 with M-sport Vanity Pack
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57D25TÜ

Hi Jackelro,

It's good to hear you're making progress and I agree, next you should check the Turbo and replace the MAF (even if it was new).

(I expect your fuel consumption will never be as good as mine even when you find and fix your fault(s) because "friday night we race" and your car is/was 210 mine is only 170hp. But, it shoudl be much better than 17-18l/100km in mixed driving)

Good luck
Mark
PS "because friday night we race" has to be one of my favourite phrases in this discussion so far.
Of course, I do not race on public roads! I'm too old and sensible for that - as is my E61.
I do it on track, and in a younger, much less sensible car....
Old 11-10-2018, 04:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

I was wondering if a bad fuel filter or pump would make the rpms jump, well more of a bounce than a jump and the car is not putting off any codes, it doesn't do it often and it easily works its way thru it but I woild like to fix the issue before it possibly does cause any seriours issues.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 PM
New Members

Hi Jnelson,

I don't think we have enough info to be of much help. Based on what you've said I'm going to make a GUESS (I'm likely to be wrong!)

If by "rpms jump" you mean increase briefly, then I doubt it's the pump or filter.
If you mean the RPMs drop briefly, then it might be fuel related (pump, filter or and air leak).

I *think* you meant increase. In which case, and if your car is an AUTO - then I'd say "check you transmission fluid level and top it up if necessary"

Hope this helps
Mark
Old 11-12-2018, 09:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

THE RPM'S bounced, they will go up/down by 500 at most but then If I give the car more gas or let off the pedal and then repress it the issue stops, when I went into the dealership they told me that most likely it wouldn't be the transmission since the car isn't throwing any codes at all. the guy said he thought it was eiter something with the air/fuel ratio or some other issue but that the trans would go into limp mode.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:59 AM
New Members

Hi Jnelson, Think we're a bit off the original topic here... and out of my area of knowledge.. But... here's my attempt to help you.

I go back to what I started saying to Jackerlo - reading codes is a start but it's not everything. It sounds to me like your dealer forgot the basics (or doesn't want the job).
The basics are - that with the car in gear on road at a steady speed, it is not possible for the motor to change RPMs without slipping the clutch (manual) or transmission "slip" in an auto.

I *guess* yours is an auto - which is a bit more complicated. If it's a "conventional" auto it has a torque converter (a fluid clutch) - which at lower revs is not "locked".
This means it allows the revs to rise (or fall) in response to torque increase/decrease. Generally this should only happen when you're pulling away or the auto shifts ratios.

However, if the fluid drops below the design level then the transmission can "surge" in the way you seem to be describing.

Furthermore
I think the auto fluid is supposed to be for the life of the car (which, is never a good idea IMHO). So your garage may be unaware or unwilling?
I don't think there's a level detector - So the car won't "know" (to throw and fault) if the level drops.
I also gather checking the level and re-filling is a bit of a a bear...

that's about all I can add.

Mark