E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help.

I have a small (1/16") round chip in the paint on my hood.

I have only had my car for a week!!!

I have the paint and clearcoat form the dealer, but am nervous to try this without some advice.

Can anyone please help me or direct me?

Please advise
Old 09-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by billysunshine' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:08 AM
Please help.

I have a small (1/16") round chip in the paint on my hood.?

I have the paint and clearcoat form the dealer, but am nervous to try this without some advice.

Please advise
[snapback]168328[/snapback]
You have a couple of choices.

You can try Touch Up Paint which I heard is good but can be a bit messy for first timers.

Or you can try the Autosharp Pen which I have used personally on my M3 front lip/bumper with great results.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Using the paint from the dealer (the colored one, not clear coat), use a toothpick and put a very small amount in the chip (after cleaning it with rubbing alcohol), allow to dry and repeat until you've filled in the chip. Better to do several light coats. If it looks good you're done. If not, you can try Langka http://www.langka.com/

The process they recommend is putting a blob in the chip so it sticks out over the surface and then use their product to smooth down the blob. Works well on darker, non-metallic colors, and not well for color match on lighter metallic colors.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I should use someone like Chipsaway (Isn't it an American Co.?)

I tried to fill self inflicted scratches on my car with the BMW touch up set to no avail. I instead used a paint guy who airbrushed the scratched area and a wheel I kerbed. The results were fantastic - you'd never know it was damaged!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Ditto - used chipsaway for bumper and wheels. Extremely happy with results
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Also I have heard of this --

http://www.merproducts.com/acatalog/Scratc...emoval.html#a17

I can't vouch for its effectiveness though, although I have used thier scratch cream before with good results.

My advice though - esp since this is a brand new car - get it fixed by a pro, you'll feel much better for it.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Members

Thanks. Really appreciate the info.

Will consider options.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:52 AM
[quote name='billysunshine' date='Sep 8 2005, 11:08 AM']Please help.

I have a small (1/16") round chip in the paint on my hood.?

Please advise
[snapback]168328[/snapback]
You have a couple of choices.

You can try Touch Up Paint which I heard is good but can be a bit messy for first timers.

Or you can try the Autosharp Pen which I have used personally on my M3 front lip/bumper with great results.

Good luck.
[snapback]168342[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank You!! My 6 year old son just put 2 small half moon shaped scratches in my hood while trying to squeeze his bike by. I have always hated the results from dealer touch up, so I'm looking forward to using the Auto sharp Pen that I just ordered thanks to your hyperlink