E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Door Seals Are Utterly Awful

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

BMW has utterly awful door seal design. My expensive 545 with 12,000 miles, creaks like a 17th Century wooden ship. The BMW door seal design is pure sh1t. One should compare the design of BMW door seals to Audi door seals. BMW puts the door seal against the metal of the car body. With Audi the door seal contacts another door seal attached to the car body. I am a big BMW fan, but I cannot stand the creaking sound. BMW has agreed to replace the door seals on my 545. Good for them. BMW is infatuated with high tech automobile features, yet their door seals, which are basic to any car, are the absolutely worst of any automobile manufacturer. If BMW does not fix the awful, prehistoric, crude door seal design, in 07 I will be driving a Benz or Audi.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Sep 7 2005, 07:36 PM
BMW has utterly awful door seal design.? My expensive 545 with 12,000 miles, creaks like a wooden 17th Century wooden ship.? The BMW door seal design is pure sh1t.? One should compare the design of BMW door seals to Audi door seals.? BMW puts the door seal against the metal of the car body.? With Audi the door seal contacts another door seal attached to the car body.? I am a big BMW fan, but I cannot stand the creaking sound.? BMW has agreed to replace the door seals on my 545.? Good for them.? BMW is infatuated with high tech automobile features, yet their door seals, which are basic to any car, are the absolutely worst of any automobile manufacturer.? If BMW does not fix the awful, prehistoric, crude door seal design, in 07 I will be driving a Benz or Audi.
[snapback]168122[/snapback]

Even after all that trouble to get the bluetooth upgrade.

I agree on the seals. Having mine replaced soon. Several folks in the forum have reported pure silence after the latest fix so GOOD LUCK. We'd hate to loose you to the MB or Audi camp. Hell, it is because of your endless saga with BT upgrade that I was able to walk into my dealer and tell them how to do it. One visit, no problems!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

OMG, please don?t compare a BMW with an Audi. My girlfriend drives an A4, it?s the worst car I ever seen. Window noise, door seal crack, bumper crack (with no accident), 3 out of 4 windows won?t open (happen at different time), inside panel fall out, rear view mirror fade? and so on. And this car is only a little bit over 4 years.

Another friend?s information panel looks like a rainbow, because almost ever single warning lights show error. He sold the car before it reach 5 years.

I love the Audi exterior design, but the quality of this brand I will never trust.
:thumbsdown:
Old 09-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

My dad had an Audi a couple years back, needless to say he's driving a BMW now! The Audi was full of problems, especially mechanically.
Hopefully once they fix the seals on your E60 they will stay silent. It would be sad to lose you over some door seals..
Old 09-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

pharding: Was in same boat as you (pun intended) and had my seals reaplaced last week. So far, one week of pure bliss. I just hope that the silence keeps up. I agree with you; the one reason that I have owned 5+ BMW's is for solid feel and handling. With my latest 545, it's been more like solid rattles and creaks. Hopefully, your replacements will work as well as mine.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Sep 7 2005, 09:36 PM
BMW has utterly awful door seal design.? My expensive 545 with 12,000 miles, creaks like a 17th Century wooden ship.? The BMW door seal design is pure sh1t.? One should compare the design of BMW door seals to Audi door seals.? BMW puts the door seal against the metal of the car body.? With Audi the door seal contacts another door seal attached to the car body.? I am a big BMW fan, but I cannot stand the creaking sound.? BMW has agreed to replace the door seals on my 545.? Good for them.? BMW is infatuated with high tech automobile features, yet their door seals, which are basic to any car, are the absolutely worst of any automobile manufacturer.? If BMW does not fix the awful, prehistoric, crude door seal design, in 07 I will be driving a Benz or Audi.
[snapback]168122[/snapback]
At least part of the problem may be that the door seals need maintenance after a while. Door seals need love and care too. Possibly rubber/vinyl protectant would help--maybe Griot's.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Contributors

I too thought I was going to have to have my seals replaced. (I usually wash my own car, however after a having it washed at a local car wash...the creaking stopped...probably because they wiped around all the seals...hopefully this is all I have to do if I hear the creaking again!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, navigation system, pdc, cold weather package

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Sep 7 2005, 11:56 PM
I too thought I was going to have to have my seals replaced.? (I usually wash my own car, however after a having it washed at a local car wash...the creaking stopped...probably because they wiped around all the seals...hopefully this is all I have to do if I hear the creaking again!
[snapback]168158[/snapback]
My 545 door seals rattle like crazy...started at about 12000 miles. I'm taking it in next week to get them replaced. Yours probably stopped rattling bc they got wet. I've noticed that when it rains outside, my car is absolutly silent, but the next day, when it's dry, it rattles again.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

What amazes me is that BMW didn't find this out during testing! You would think that they drive these cares many miles and this must have come up before...did they just ignore it?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I just got my car back after having the seals (and tires) replaced. So far, the difference is remarkable. Time will tell if it isa permanent fix, but so far, so good.

Quick Reply: BMW Door Seals Are Utterly Awful