E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 E60 N62, DINAN AIR BOX, THROTTLE BODY, EXHAUST, STAGE THREE SOFTWARE.....19" MAYA STK 5 SPOKE W/PS2 255/35 19 AND 295/30 19, BMW REAR SPOILER(M TECH FRONT AND REAR APRONS COMING SOON) FACTORY EJECT BOX FOR IPONE 3GS, IPOD INTERFACE(OF DARN NO CD CHANGER ANYMORE) NAV, I DRIVE(I LOVE IT) JUST DID THE ILLUMINATED DOOR SILLS(2.5 HOURS MY AZZ) AND THE M FOOTREST, DINANA MATS, ADJ KONIS FRONT STANDARD REAR, JUST ORDER DINAN STRUT BRACES, NEXT MONO BALL AND CAMBER PLATES AND THEN OFF TO THE TRACK

Originally Posted by 545iNTENSITY
and if that doesnt work, looks like its getting towed to BMW in College Station which isnt my first choice since i know when they read misfire they are just going to change the coil packs which defeats the purpose of doing it yourself and saving money and wasting the money i spent on the coil packs already as well
Curious what was the outcome of your vehicles issues......i have a similar problem on my 05 545 n62.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-

I have joined this board to chime in to this thread - I think I can be of help. I have an '06 750Li, and I just changed my plugs and coils. I am not a mechanic by trade, but I am extremely mechanical and electrically competent. (I own a recording studio and have rebuilt very complex electrical systems before.)

I had the same problem as the original poster a few days ago when changing out my coils. After some tail chasing and being very upset, the issue was the replacement coils. I bought Bosch coils from FCP Euro on CT., and new plugs. After installing them the car ran like mega crap and kicked up the same errors (though it took a few days for the OBD computer to arrive that I had to order to help me figure out the problem.) Changing the plugs/coils on these cars isn't very difficult beyond learning the tricks to make it faster. (I think I could do it in 45 minutes now.)

Lucky for me, I kept my old coils and put them on to verify that it wasn't the plugs. . . .the car ran like a top. Very, very pissed off I called FCP to return them, though now I am wondering if it isn't there fault. I just did a part search on BMWfans.info and got a different part number than what they sent me.

FCP sent me:
Bosch coil 221 504 464-076

BMWfans.info tells me I need:
Bosch coil 12 13 1 712 219

Before you sell your car - if you like it, I might investigate doing some digging re: your coils and seeing if you can't solve it. I intend to get to the bottom of this since I would like to replace mine (my car is at 100k on the odometer). In all honesty I probably won't be back here, so good luck. I am over on bimmerfest in the E65 section as jkess114 if you want to contact me.

Good luck to you folks,
josh

One trick for coil removal: It will become very painful on your fingers if you try to pull the coils out using the finger hole available after releasing the plug(!) Use a long 3/8" socket extender in that hole and you can use both hands to yank the coil. Instantaneous removal and no(!) finger pain!!!