E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Playing MP3 and Navigation from DL DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

how do you get the idrive to recognize that i have mp3 on the dvd? do i have to do something when i am burining the dvd or somethings.. cause i burned it with nero like a data dvd and it wont play the mp3s. it wont even let me click on DVD, its unhighlighted...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='601131' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:45 AM
how do you get the idrive to recognize that i have mp3 on the dvd? do i have to do something when i am burining the dvd or somethings.. cause i burned it with nero like a data dvd and it wont play the mp3s. it wont even let me click on DVD, its unhighlighted...
You have to create an "MP3" disk, which has a specific folder structure. Do a search on this forum - there is a good "how to" thread on this topic.

I've never tried it, but I don't think either drive will be able to read a disk with a non-mp3 folder structure.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Members

Dual Layer DVD Issues
===============

I'm having similar problems. I got my 520d one week ago. Nice! MP3 compatibility was important to me. I specified Professional radio, CD changer and Business Navigation and the price list stated because of the professional radio I would have MP3 compatibility.

I read some of the forums which implied there might still be a problem reading MP3s. When I finally got my car the manual actually states the head unit is MP3 compatible but the changer is not. That sounds pretty final doesn't it?

Bit remiss of BMW to have a partially implemented compatibility. So I'm left with how to play MP3's without shelling out loads of money on new hardware such as Dension or having trailing iPod wires.

I have however got MP3 files working great on a single layer DVD+R disc in the head unit. This was totally problem free. The real pain is I can't use the navigation at the same time. You can programme your route, change discs and it will still remember your route (both ways) but I'm terrified of scratching my original sat nav disc through over handling.

I tried to copy the Navigation disc onto DVD+R but my version 08-02 is 4.63Mb (just over the amount that fits on a single layer DVD - note 4.63Mb is more than 4,700,000 bytes).

I tried to create a dual layer DVD with both MP3s and the Navigation files but that causes the iDrive to reboot and not recognise the disc at all.

In the end I am trying to create a Dual Layer copy of my original sat nav disc so I can keep the original safe at home. It works only intermittently and I get very frequent read errors.

Someone from East Europe mentioned they got round this by deleting languages in order to fit onto a single layer but I can see no way to do this on Business Nav.

Any ideas????!!!!! Anyone succeeded in either copying their Sat Nav to dual layer DVD or in running both Business Sat Nav and MP3 on the same disc?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 90 325i, 97 328i, 06 530i

Originally Posted by NeptuneBlue' post='712809' date='Nov 5 2008, 06:41 AM
Someone from East Europe mentioned they got round this by deleting languages in order to fit onto a single layer but I can see no way to do this on Business Nav.

Any ideas????!!!!! Anyone succeeded in either copying their Sat Nav to dual layer DVD or in running both Business Sat Nav and MP3 on the same disc?
I guess you would have to delete languages from disc image before you burn it to a new dvd. That way you'll save extra room and will be able to fit it onto a single layer dvd disc. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mjez' post='712830' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:37 PM
I guess you would have to delete languages from disc image before you burn it to a new dvd. That way you'll save extra room and will be able to fit it onto a single layer dvd disc. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Not sure if this is possible with Business Navigation. It was done by someone else for Prof Nav and they said that they saw directory structures with different languages, lots of files. On my disc I see only a few files, four of which are very large. I am not de-crypting, the PC reads the files as if they are on a normal data disc. It sees the following files:

DATABASE.BD (1k)
HBINFO_MAP (1k)
INFO_MAP (1k)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_INF (2k)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_LIT (479Mb)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_SDS (7Mb)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_SP5 (15Mb)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_XAC (1.67Gb)
KN074EU16X11T01.DB2_GDB (814Mb)
KN074EU16X11T01 (1.7Gb)
Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

This has nothing to do with single or double layer discs. Even if you add the entire contents of both the map and the mp3s on a single disc the mp3 wins! The car looks to see if the disc in the drive is not a map disc - if it finds the mp3 data then it does not read anything else and assumes its a mp3 disc only. However its only when it does not find the mp3 data it goes on to look if there is the entire map structure on the disc. So there is no way to access the map on a disc that contains other data structures e.g. mp3.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Members

That makes sense, thank you.

Any ideas on either getting the dual layer copy of sat nav working reliably or being able to shrink down onto a single layer disc?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Here's how I'm enjoying MP3's in my E60:

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/audio-...amp;language=en

Costs around $30-$40. Plugs into the 12v socket. No cables. I plug a USB Flash drive into it at the front. It supports I think up to 32GB drives. It transmits on whatever FM frequency you choose. FM transmitters that plug into the headphone sockets of your MP3 player have been around for a few years, but this one doesn't have the annoyance of your MP3 player needing power and the transmitter needing power. It's all in one cable-less little device.

I'm extremely happy with it. To select it via idrive, I just choose the radio frequency (stored) that I have it transmitting on.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='712892' date='Nov 5 2008, 11:35 AM
Here's how I'm enjoying MP3's in my E60:

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/audio-...amp;language=en

Costs around $30-$40. Plugs into the 12v socket. No cables. I plug a USB Flash drive into it at the front. It supports I think up to 32GB drives. It transmits on whatever FM frequency you choose. FM transmitters that plug into the headphone sockets of your MP3 player have been around for a few years, but this one doesn't have the annoyance of your MP3 player needing power and the transmitter needing power. It's all in one cable-less little device.

I'm extremely happy with it. To select it via idrive, I just choose the radio frequency (stored) that I have it transmitting on.
the fm transmitters dont really work well within city limits when it is competing with stations that is using alot of watts to transmit their signal... so when using the transmitter in the car... ends up just having issues competing with other radio stations locally...

outside they work great dont get me wrong.. but where i live.. they are just useless
Old 11-10-2008, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Silver Metallic w/Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Poplar Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close. Mods: RPI Exhaust, Scoop + FIlter, License plate LED lights

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='600544' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:45 PM
Pretty Good idea about burning MP3 onto a DVD for music playback of MP3 files. PM Sent.
PM me too...i've been trying to burn songs on the dvd but when i insert it....it says format not read or something...

Quick Reply: Playing MP3 and Navigation from DL DVD