E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Playing MP3 and Navigation from DL DVD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using a DVD to play my MP3s ( 4.3 GB of MP3 songs ) from my navigation DVD drive. The flip side is that I cant use the Navigation if Im playing MP3 from this drive. So I tried a stupid thing as I was very curious about it. I had an ISO image of navigation DVD. So I go a Dual Layer DVD ( 8.4 G and burnt both the navigation ISO file and the MP3 files on to this DL DVD and tried to play it from the navigation drive ( hoping that both MP3 and Navigation would work ).
But it played only the MP3 and when i went to Navigation menu, it said Please insert Navigation DVD.
I know it might sound foolish but does anybody have any technical justification as to why this is not possible ( using both navigation feature and playing MP3 from a DL DVD).
Other thing I had tried was by burning the navigation ISO file on a regular DVD and it worked.So I know that ISO file is good.

Any thoughts.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by manjunatht' post='600529' date='Jun 11 2008, 12:32 PM
I have been using a DVD to play my MP3s ( 4.3 GB of MP3 songs ) from my navigation DVD drive. The flip side is that I cant use the Navigation if Im playing MP3 from this drive. So I tried a stupid thing as I was very curious about it. I had an ISO image of navigation DVD. So I go a Dual Layer DVD ( 8.4 G and burnt both the navigation ISO file and the MP3 files on to this DL DVD and tried to play it from the navigation drive ( hoping that both MP3 and Navigation would work ).
But it played only the MP3 and when i went to Navigation menu, it said Please insert Navigation DVD.
I know it might sound foolish but does anybody have any technical justification as to why this is not possible ( using both navigation feature and playing MP3 from a DL DVD).
Other thing I had tried was by burning the navigation ISO file on a regular DVD and it worked.So I know that ISO file is good.

Any thoughts.
Pretty Good idea about burning MP3 onto a DVD for music playback of MP3 files. PM Sent.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by manjunatht' post='600529' date='Jun 11 2008, 11:32 AM

Any thoughts.
Manjunatht......

to the forums.......OMG that IS a good Idea, if you can make it work please let us know, as I am sure that will go over like hot cakes!!! I mean obviously the computer searches for the ISO file so why wouldnt it be able to search thru other files during the same process? Unless there is some sort of boot command, but then you would have had the problem on your copied DVD.

Where's Rudy when we need him????
Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Members

My E60 isn't turning up till Friday so I havn't got any experience with the Nav DVD, but one thing that might be worth checking is what LABEL is being written to the disc by the software your using. I don't know if the BMW Sat Nav's look for something in the disc label to determine if it's a Nav DVD or MP3 disc.

Also, how are you burning the disc ?
Are you extracting the files from the ISO image and combining them with your MP3's and then burning to disc ?
Or are you somehow writing the ISO first but not closing the session and then adding the MP3's ?

I havn't looked around but do the BMW Sat Nav drives support dual layer DVD's ?
If you were to dump 8GB of MP3's to a dual layer DVDR and see if they all get picked up and can play properly (Hard thing to test I know) then at least it proves it can read dual layers.

Hope something above helps.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sp00ge' post='600583' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:47 PM
My E60 isn't turning up till Friday so I havn't got any experience with the Nav DVD, but one thing that might be worth checking is what LABEL is being written to the disc by the software your using. I don't know if the BMW Sat Nav's look for something in the disc label to determine if it's a Nav DVD or MP3 disc.

Are you extracting the files from the ISO image and combining them with your MP3's and then burning to disc ?
Or are you somehow writing the ISO first but not closing the session and then adding the MP3's ?

If you were to dump 8GB of MP3's to a dual layer DVDR and see if they all get picked up and can play properly (Hard thing to test I know) then at least it proves it can read dual layers.

OMG.. didnt think of this idea !! i was wondering how to combine them together so i can test both of them 2!!
the label for Navigation DVD "NAV_DB" and try burning ur new DVD using ImgBurn very fast and can detect all burning properties needed

For editing the image file MagicIso can edit and recompile it, after adding ur MP3's burn at once and close the session.

Ill try it my self .. thx mate
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sp00ge' post='600583' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:47 PM

Yes, I did extract the files from the ISO image and combined them with MP3 files.
Next thing I might try is to write the ISO first ( becuase it worked when I did it on a single layer DVD) and in the same session write the MP3s.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by WsRamahi' post='600590' date='Jun 11 2008, 03:01 PM
OMG.. didnt think of this idea !! i was wondering how to combine them together so i can test both of them 2!!
the label for Navigation DVD "NAV_DB" and try burning ur new DVD using ImgBurn very fast and can detect all burning properties needed

For editing the image file MagicIso can edit and recompile it, after adding ur MP3's burn at once and close the session.

Ill try it my self .. thx mate
Please do let us know the outcome. Im very curious.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Members

All DVD drives have only one laser "head" that reads a track on a disc.
So if you have navi + mp3 files on a DL disc, the "head" will only be only be able to read a track at a time.
Also, not all drives can read DL disc (and not all burners can burn DL disc). So my best guess is the head on our cars are only capable of reading the 1st layer of a disc (L0).

Old 06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

My original NAV DVD was single layer - so it would be interesting to see if a dual layer DVD would work.

I always thought that when you copy a disk image you are essentially duplicating the entire disk structure, blank space and all.
So if you are adding files you are changing the image.

The file/folder structures for NAV and MP3 disks are different. I don't think you can just create a folder and copy MP3s like a normal computer disk.

Furthermore, I don't think you can just turn the NAV on if a DVD is already loaded. There may be some sort of boot sequence that is probably keyed whenever a DVD is loaded or when the car is started.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by 545iBMW' post='600724' date='Jun 11 2008, 06:32 PM
All DVD drives have only one laser "head" that reads a track on a disc.
So if you have navi + mp3 files on a DL disc, the "head" will only be only be able to read a track at a time.
Also, not all drives can read DL disc (and not all burners can burn DL disc). So my best guess is the head on our cars are only capable of reading the 1st layer of a disc (L0).

Only the earliest DVD drives can't read dual layer. Factory DVD's have been in D/L format for many years - it was only a few years ago when D/L burners started to go on sale.

Quick Reply: Playing MP3 and Navigation from DL DVD