E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by moyern83
From what I have read on the forums and my research, the fuel filter and the fuel pump are both under the rear seat. The fuel filter (P/N 16146765826) is on the driver side under that access panel. The fuel pump (P/N 16146765820) is on the passenger side under another access panel that looked just like the one for the fuel pump. I saw this access panel when I had my back seat off, but I did not open that side up. It looks identical (maybe a little larger) than the fuel pump access panel. The picture on RealOEM.com shows it as one piece with the lines going across to the fuel filter. I also confirmed that on an auto store site.

Fuel Pump (Delivery unit with in-tank pump)
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...53&hg=16&fg=15

Fuel Filter
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...54&hg=16&fg=15

I think the pump would be a bear to replace because you would have to feed the lines across the tank over to the fuel filter location. I have not found any DIY to replace the fuel pump but the above is my researched answer. PCY would probably have a better answer or be able to confirm that.

I was a little nervous to try to DIY that PCY explained, because it seemed tricky as I was taking off that collar nut and then putting the filter back in. I had to kind of push the filter back in (like a spring almost). I drove it around a little last night and the car runs okay, the fuel level looks right (with the sensor on the filter)...so I think that I am okay.

I definitely think that this DIY is worth it to save money from the shop installing it!

Moyer
ahh, ok. so the pump is on the other side. that would make sense.
did you open your old filter to see what it looked like?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

If any of you thinking of replacing the fuel pump... please note that the fuel pump comes with harness and fuel pipe that needs to be routed [via the tunnel inside the tank] to the fuel filter.

In order to replace fuel pump, first you'd have to go on the fuel filter side and disconnect the lines at the fuel filter, then go to fuel pump and pull out the pump along with the harness and fuel lines inside the tank.

So, ideally, it'd be good to change the fuel pump and filter at the same time.

First I changed the filter, then I wanted to change pump as well. So, I had to remove the fuel filter and pump to replace the pump. I could've saved some effort if I had known the above info.

While trying to remove the collar ring, I saw a notch on the fuel filter/pump plastic housing. Helper holding that notch in-place with a screw driver, while you undoing the collar ring will make it faster.

I actually made a home made (cheap-ass :-) tool to tighten the collar ring. I was too cheap to buy the collar ring tool for $100 for one-time use.

I still have the old fuel pump and filter with me, if you guys need pictures of them.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by pcy
I still have the old fuel pump and filter with me, if you guys need pictures of them.
that would be nice to see!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 AM
pcy
Senior Members

I will take the picture [of fuel pump and filter along with the harness] this evening and I will post it. Until then... here are the pictures of the fuel pump.

First picture is an illustration from RealOem - showing the fuel pump with the harness. Please note that harness is permanently connected to the pump and can't be removed. Fuel Filter gets connected to the other end of this harness. Harness is pre-bent for the shape of the tunnel (inside the tank) above the drive shaft. BMW engineers thought about that shape as well... :-)
When installing the fuel pump, what you'd have to do is send the harness first in to the tank from the passengers side and route the harness via the small tunnel [between the two halfs of the tank] to the filter side (drivers side). Then, connect the harness to the filter. My description may sound too complicated, it's pretty simple. Take a look at the pictures...

Second picture is the fuel pump and sender unit together.

Third picture is the end of the harness. Fuel filter gets connected to this end.

Both fuel pump and filter are spring loaded. Set them in the position, push it down, hold in position, put the collar-ring on. That's it.
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles-bmw_fuel_pump.jpg   Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles-dsc02217_resized.jpg   Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles-dsc02220_resized.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 04:07 AM
pcy
Senior Members

When I bought the fuel pump, it came in a big box; I wondered why that big box. That big box kept that hump-shape of that harness.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I ordered one yesterday. $125 probably well spent. saves on plugs, injectors etc etc...will post up later about it.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Members

I have not broke into my old filter. Attached are pictures of my old and new filter. You can just see the dirty gas stained on the old filter. I bet it looks pretty bad inside. The main reason I have not broke into the old filter is to make sure nothing goes wrong with the one I just put in.

I will post when I decide to break into it.

Also, I should have known about the spring loaded feature on the fuel filter. You can see it in the pictures I have even. I guess when I spend so much money on a car, I am nervous that I don't want to screw it up (even if it is 7 years old now...which is crazy to think about!). It still runs like a champ though!
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles-dsc_0593.jpg   Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles-dsc_0568.jpg  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I'll be posting up shortly. I will probably re-adapt all of my adaptions afterward (VANOS, Lamda, etc etc.) it's recommended even when changing a valve cover gasket or spark plug. Who would've known
Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I'll be posting up shortly. I will probably re-adapt all of my adaptions afterward (VANOS, Lamda, etc etc.) it's recommended even when changing a valve cover gasket or spark plug. Who would've known

Does the software come with instructions on how to re-adapt all the values (VANOS, Lamda, etc.)? This software is the same thing that would "register" a new battery right?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Members

How is the fuel filtered on the passenger side? Is there an integrated filter in the pump? Or does the fuel on the passenger side routed to the filter on the driver side and then back to the passenger side and into the pump?

Quick Reply: Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles