E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picked Up 550 Sport in Munich Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharding' post='455172' date='Aug 4 2007, 06:14 AM
The configuration of the shifter movement is a residual concept from mechanical automatic transmissions. The paddle shifters have a certain functional logic to them that makes their configuation, push/pull, logical and intuitive. After driving the car for two days, which I enjoy immensely, the shifter is still counter-intuitive. I admire BMW's commitment to innovation. With the new uncharted designs comes an occassional item that merits refinement with time. This is one in my opinion. Think back to the manual shifting of BMW automatic transmissions. My 2001 5 er required a shift up to advance the gear. In 2004 it was reversed and is much more intuitive.

We had a slight sprinkle in Munich 6 hours after I picked up the car. The rain carried dirt which gave my new car dirty spots all over it. It is now a day and a half after I picked it up and the car looks extremely dirty. Carbon black looks great when freshly washed. However it is super high maintence incomparison to my previous silver 545.

I toured and photographed the new BMW Welt, the new BMW Euro Delivery Center from outside the construction fence. It is an extraordinary building. I can hardly wait to see the interior spaces which promise to be an extremely dynamic environment to take delivery of a new Bimmer. The building is crawling with construction workers and equipment. I am skeptical that the building will be complete by October 21. By building a large, expensive landmark building like that BMW is expressing its long term commitment to European Delivery. The present delivery building at Freiman will continue operation to serve the bulk of German deliveries not routed through local dealerships.

On our way to Salzburg, the navigation system picked up a warning of a traffic delay. It told me to expect a delay of 16 minutes. It graphically showed where the delay was on the map. It indicated whether it was east or west bound. It gave me an option to tell it to identify a detour. I did so and took the detour. It worked fantastic.

The car drives and handles great. As well as my 04 545 sport drove, the 08 550 sport drives and handles noticably better which I am surprised to say. The controls are more refined and more tactile. The sport transmission is rather amazing. Even in standard, non-sport mode, it shifts in a wonderful sharp manner. In sport mode it shifts even better. When you downshift it stays in the downshifted gear like it should, except it does not want to stay in first gear. The only thing about that I question is that after using the manual shifter without activity after multiple minutes it moves into automatic mode. I wish that each driver could set that delay to his or her liking. Active steering has now been perfected.

The car is great and it has exceeded my high expectations. Our trip has been great so far. My wife is a happy camper so all is fine.
Glad to hear additional reports from you, Paul. Thank you first and foremost for setting my expectations on carbonschwarz metallic.

I continue to be amazed by the poor design of the shift lever. Yesterday, the press fleet folks came to swap my 550i for a 535xi. One of the drivers had significant trouble going in the right direction; I thought he was going to go right into the car in front of him in front of my driveway.

Re BMW Welt, I would guess they will put all of their resources into the delivery area so that deliveries can start on the 23d. They have little choice at this point. They can cut the ribbon on the 17th and have the Tag der ?ffenen T?r on the weekend but probably not allow the public EVERYWHERE.

One thing re Freimann: German deliveries will be carried out at the Welt, not in Freimann. I do not believe they are going to maintain a parallel delivery system although they might deliver fleet (police, etc.) vehicles outside of the Welt. I was told the actual building in Freimann would be demo?d.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pharding' post='455172' date='Aug 4 2007, 06:14 AM
The only thing about that I question is that after using the manual shifter without activity after multiple minutes it moves into automatic mode. I wish that each driver could set that delay to his or her liking.
Setting the delay might be a nice feature but generally I agree that in automatic mode, the system needs to revert back to automatic mode without too much delay. If you're in auto mode, then the car should be in control, right? If you don't want the car to be in control, you can switch to manual mode. If you I can imagine a scenario where a person only wants to use automatic mode but accidentally bumps a paddle while turning the wheel. If this happens, the car will still shift itself when the time arises. (If the driver keeps manually shifting, the car will "see" that and will allow it.) On the SMG cars, it was the other way around -- if you were in auto mode and a paddle was used, the car switched to manual mode and stayed there until you put it back in auto mode. Keep in mind that on the SAT, if you move the selector over to the S1...S6 positon and manually shift, the car will stay in manual mode just like the SMG did.

The bottom line (at least for me) is that I think the way the car is programmed now is nice. You have many options and once you learn them, you can choose which one is best for your situation.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Members

As for the Carbon Black upkeep, that is why I got Space Grey. It really is an awesome color in person and hides dirt well. My car sees lots of time outside and I knew black just wasnt going to work for me. What I am really surprissed at though is how HOT the Alpine White color is on the 550i with sport pack. I don't like white cars, but on the E60 it just looks great.

After driving for several hundred miles the only thing I can think of is the need for a throttle re-map. They need to make the power application a little smoother and more consistent. I get a small delay when pressing on the gas and then WAM hold on for dear life. I would like to get rid of that dead spot in the throttle.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jcflys' post='455264' date='Aug 4 2007, 02:10 PM
As for the Carbon Black upkeep, that is why I got Space Grey. It really is an awesome color in person and hides dirt well. My car sees lots of time outside and I knew black just wasnt going to work for me. What I am really surprissed at though is how HOT the Alpine White color is on the 550i with sport pack. I don't like white cars, but on the E60 it just looks great.

After driving for several hundred miles the only thing I can think of is the need for a throttle re-map. They need to make the power application a little smoother and more consistent. I get a small delay when pressing on the gas and then WAM hold on for dear life. I would like to get rid of that dead spot in the throttle.
I agree -- both with the hotness of Alpine White and with the need to make the throttle respond a little better (at least with the SAT cars.)

I'm used to the SMG which had terrific throttle response -- especially in Sport mode. With the LCI, there is that "sponginess" that causes the pedal to not do too much as you initially apply your foot to it...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by jcflys' post='455264' date='Aug 4 2007, 02:10 PM

In my brief test drive of a 550i LCI with the SAT, I didn't notice the soft spot in throttle response. My '06 650i with 6 speed manual has an inconsistent throttle reponse that makes driving smooth difficult. If that is still the case with the '08s, bummer!

BTW, I had no issues with using the electronic shift lever once I learned to press the buttons to get in and out of park. It seems intuitive to me to pull back toget into drive just like any other auto tranny for years. Reverse could be a problem since you push forward which IS different. One might instinctively pull back one notch, and mistakenly drive forward. Or is that what everyone IS noticing?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Update on my 550 Sport after driving it for 550 miles. The car drives fantastic. I had a lot of fun driving on the Deutsche Alpenstrasse from Berchtesgaden to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It is a really beautiful, scenic drive.

The radio sounds much better now. For some reason when I picked up the car the equalizer had a unusual setting. The lowest frequency was set at approximately 80% of full power. I reduced it to 50% like the other frequencies on the equalizer. Then I set the surround setting to "concert hall". then I went to Bass/Treble and set both to .6 instead of .5. It sounds almost as good as the previous Logic 7. It is good enough for my untrained ear.

The shiny 172 wheels after a few hours of driving took on a more matte finish that looks much better due to the brake dust. It looks fine. The brake dust is much less severe than my 04 545.

All things considered I am quite happy with the car. We will see if BMW will work with me on the mismatch of the wood trim.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 Individual (Onyx Blue, Piano Black trim, Marino Leather) M Sport Package, 19" M172 wheels, Sunroof, Professional Navigation, HUD, TV function, Voice Recognition, PDC, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter, Xeon Headlights, Adaptive Headlights, High Beam Assist. Build completed August 2007.

Originally Posted by pharding' post='456788' date='Aug 9 2007, 10:19 AM
... The radio sounds much better now. ... It sounds almost as good as the previous Logic 7.
I for one am glad that you can get Logic 7 sounding how you want. With the previous threads on the 'downgrading' of Logic 7 on LCI E60's, I was going to ask my dealer to change to the Individual High-end Sound system - but I just got my chassis number from the dealer yesterday so I guess I am too late.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Chiming in late, but been away from the forum for a while. Congratulations on the new car. Sorry about the wood grain not matching and L7 sound that just sucks IMO.

Fortunately my Light poplar looks beautiful and i love my two tone interior. I do not suffer your gear shifter woes either because I have an all matte black leather short shifter that has no ugly metal base.

Your dealer really should have hooked you up with the I-Pod cable along with the Euro nav DVD that should be a courtesy. I concur on the ride, its spectacular. The L7 is a huge disappointment for me especially since its a downgrade. The other bug un-addressed is the door seals.

Good luck with re-delivery.

Hormazd