E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Phone Cradle Connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Sapphire Black with White trim. M-Sports package

I have a 2007 E60 (530i) and had the Phone Cradle removed to give me a larger centre console compartment.
As this model doesn't have USB and the AUX in the rear of the car (!) I am curious as to what comms is/was used by the cradle and whether there is an audio link/option that could be utilised.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Members

The phone cradle is for charging and to give an external antenna connection (for phones that support this) to the sharkfin. The comms are all done over bluetooth, even when the phone is physically docked. There are no audio connections from the dock, unfortunately.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Sapphire Black with White trim. M-Sports package

Originally Posted by spandex
The phone cradle is for charging and to give an external antenna connection (for phones that support this) to the sharkfin. The comms are all done over bluetooth, even when the phone is physically docked. There are no audio connections from the dock, unfortunately.
Ok and thanks very much
Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Members

Where can you plug your phone in to get it charged? All I see is the USB/ipod adapter under the phone cradle and no cigarette/power hook up for the phone.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Members

Good question grateful1-

I also have the USB IPOD adapter inputs at the bottom of the center console, and I want to buy the Iphone snap in adapter, but for the life of me can not find the input so the snap in adapter will charge the phone?

NEWBIE question, but can anyone help
Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by JMurp
Good question grateful1-

I also have the USB IPOD adapter inputs at the bottom of the center console, and I want to buy the Iphone snap in adapter, but for the life of me can not find the input so the snap in adapter will charge the phone?

NEWBIE question, but can anyone help
The snap-in adapter has the charging connections built into it. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot use the snap-in adapter and the USB input at the same time.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
The snap-in adapter has the charging connections built into it. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot use the snap-in adapter and the USB input at the same time.
As txag_530i says, if you have the phone cradle then your phone will charge once you get the correct snap-in adaptor for it. As for the USB and phone charging not working at the same time, I don't really understand why this would be the case. I don't have OEM USB, so this is just my opinion here, but the two things are connected to completely separate systems. I don't really see why you couldn't use them at the same time as they're electrically separate.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by spandex
As txag_530i says, if you have the phone cradle then your phone will charge once you get the correct snap-in adaptor for it. As for the USB and phone charging not working at the same time, I don't really understand why this would be the case. I don't have OEM USB, so this is just my opinion here, but the two things are connected to completely separate systems. I don't really see why you couldn't use them at the same time as they're electrically separate.
I have the ipod/usb adapter which the USB does charge my ipod. However, there is no power outlet to charge my phone. You can't use the USB port to charge a Blackberry phone. And even if you could, then that would mean that I would need to unhook my ipod in order to charge my BB. Also, you are missing the fact that I already have a snap in phone cradle adapter. But the issue remains the same. There is no dedicated power outlet for me to plug my phone charger into.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by grateful1
I have the ipod/usb adapter which the USB does charge my ipod. However, there is no power outlet to charge my phone. You can't use the USB port to charge a Blackberry phone. And even if you could, then that would mean that I would need to unhook my ipod in order to charge my BB. Also, you are missing the fact that I already have a snap in phone cradle adapter. But the issue remains the same. There is no dedicated power outlet for me to plug my phone charger into.
I'm not sure what your point is. If you want to charge your phone, you can just get a snap-in adaptor for it. Why don't you just get the correct adaptor for your BB?